You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Metacritic Top 5 PC Adventure Games (and a surprise game made it)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Default Metacritic Top 5 PC Adventure Games (and a surprise game made it)

01. Grim Fandango
02. The Longest Journey
03. The Curse of Monkey Island
04. Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge
05. Gemini Rue

06. The Secret of Monkey Island SE
07. Full Throttle
08. Escape from Monkey Island
09. Sam & Max Episode 205
10. Indigo Prophecy

Congratulations, Gemini Rue, my favorite game so far this year... I am glad to see the game doing well with mainstream game critics...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

that's pretty impressive, although is it like imdb where things start up high but over time drop down the list as things average out?

Not sure how Monkey Island 3 got above either of the first 2 games though..

Last edited by marcd2011; 04-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

I can't imagine Metacritic is very accurate when it comes to 10+ year-old games, but the validity of the list shouldn't detract from the positive attention Gemini Rue has received since its release. Is it a top-5 all-time adventure? Probably not, but it's great nonetheless.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

Although I agree with most of the titles on the list.... not sure about the order
of 'The Longest Journey' It was a good game but.... not that good.
I think the monkey island titles should be above it.
And where is Broken Sword. Should be a least on the list somewhere.
Oh well thats just my opinion.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
Although I agree with most of the titles on the list.... not sure about the order
of 'The Longest Journey' It was a good game but.... not that good.
I think the monkey island titles should be above it.
And where is Broken Sword. Should be a least on the list somewhere.
Oh well thats just my opinion.
That's your opinion, but this is based on a general consensus. You can't deny that.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
Congratulations, Gemini Rue, my favorite game so far this year... I am glad to see the game doing well with mainstream game critics...
That's not all. Since its release Gemini is also constantly in the Top 3 games for PC:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
That's your opinion, but this is based on a general consensus. You can't deny that.
No I can't deny the general consensus and I never intended to....
thats why I said 'Oh well thats just my opinion'.....
Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
But you can question the accuracy and importance of such a list. I mean half the sources I see on Metacritic I've never heard of before. Who decides whether a source is "worthy" or not? What's the criteria? How many reviews does it take to accurately represent the overall opinion of a game? Full Throttle only has 8 review sources. That doesn't seem like enough to me. What about all the older games that are missing because they don't have enough reviews or none at all?

Just recently, a BioWare employee was caught skewing the numbers for Dragon Age II by submitting his own review.

This is a list of well-received adventure games, nothing more. It doesn't accurately represent the "top" or "best of" anything.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Automaton

These are all 5-15 years old games. I wonder why? There were many classics before then.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Stalker of Britain

There seems to be a lot of Monkey Island games on the list, but no Myst or Gabriel Knight or other 'classics' that I think of. And I know this is my personal opinion, but I don't really agree with this list.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
But you can question the accuracy and importance of such a list. I mean half the sources I see on Metacritic I've never heard of before. Who decides whether a source is "worthy" or not? What's the criteria? How many reviews does it take to accurately represent the overall opinion of a game? Full Throttle only has 8 review sources. That doesn't seem like enough to me. What about all the older games that are missing because they don't have enough reviews or none at all?

Just recently, a BioWare employee was caught skewing the numbers for Dragon Age II by submitting his own review.

This is a list of well-received adventure games, nothing more. It doesn't accurately represent the "top" or "best of" anything.
Yeah what he said...ˆ
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Grue Master

LOL...none of those games would even make my top 50 list
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #13

Hah, that is awesome. Gemini Rue was probably my favorite ADV game in the last 1-2 years, and for sure goes on my top 10 list (like 6th or 7th). I keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel, come on Dave!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #14

Metacritic is just about the worst source for a "top-list". In general they only compile few older reviews. That means several older games are either missing or have few reviews.

Gamerankings.com is slightly better. Mobygames.com have the most reviews of older titles.

Of course the sources are also important, but all three sites claim to use outlets of a certain quality.

EDIT: Regarding "Mobygames.com have the most reviews of older titles", it's not something I've heard stated as a fact, but I doubt there's a site out there with more reviews of older games

Last edited by Jannik; 04-04-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #15
lost in rubacava

AFAIC, it's nice to see Grim Fandango get the ranking it deserves somewhere.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
There seems to be a lot of Monkey Island games on the list, but no Myst or Gabriel Knight or other 'classics' that I think of. And I know this is my personal opinion, but I don't really agree with this list.

By it's nature it's just a fame list; a popularity list. It's nothing that anyone starting in the genre should go on. Take it with a pinch of salt. People on forums like this one know there's more to adventure game life than bloody Monkey Island.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post

Also it can be said that using sources such as Game Informer and PC Gamer scew their scores because they were paid by the developers. God forbid someone never heard of Adventure Gamer. Doesn't mean they aren't credible.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
01. Grim Fandango
02. The Longest Journey
03. The Curse of Monkey Island
04. Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge
05. Gemini Rue

06. The Secret of Monkey Island SE
07. Full Throttle
08. Escape from Monkey Island
09. Sam & Max Episode 205
10. Indigo Prophecy

Did you made this list due to mc ratings or is there a link for it?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #19

Ugly.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #20

I probably shouldn't say this but a AAA-game I was working for (as a low-rank employee) our product got terrible reviews from review-sites but then we paid a huge "advertisment" money to some lesser known review-sites (mostly german-language ones) i.e. for banner-space plus review (not nessesarly a GOOD review, at least the contract didn't specify that) and miracolously those 4 websites gave us 90-100% scores which bumped us up on Metacritic pretty nicely

Anyway I don't think the list is too far off but if we were to assume it's perfect I can't help realizing it's kinda sad the quality of adventure-games, I mean sure Grim may actually be my favorite one as well but if you forget about the sugar-high you were in the ending and load the game up and really give some quick scrutiny to some of the puzzles (which I did when I wrote a analysis on the game) you may actually be really suprised at how stupid most of the puzzles are.