You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Metacritic Top 5 PC Adventure Games (and a surprise game made it)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
Not sure how Monkey Island 3 got above either of the first 2 games though..
I actually like MI3 just as much as the second one. I love the art style and puzzles.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
By it's nature it's just a fame list; a popularity list. It's nothing that anyone starting in the genre should go on. Take it with a pinch of salt. People on forums like this one know there's more to adventure game life than bloody Monkey Island.
Well no it's not. Metacritic works by taking the reviews of professional reviews and giving an aggregate score (with a weighting towards the larger outlets). You can sort by user score too I imagine but that's not what we're talking about here. Incidentally I think he just used this list and pulled out the adventure games:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...rt=desc&page=2

There's a number of problems though, mostly that the reviews data for games more than 10 years old is hugely incomplete. Myst or the first two GK games aren't even in the database, for example.

The second is selection bias: a lot of mainstream sites only reviewed Gemini Rue because of the buzz around it, and the buzz only existed because it was so good.

Lastly, metacritic do use Adventure Gamers as a source, you can see their reviews listed.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #23

Hmm, I'm only mid-way through Gemini Rue, but I have to say I don't see what all the hype is about.

It's okay, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as any of the Gabriel Knight games' so far.
Oh also, the voice acting is quite poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac739 View Post
I actually like MI3 just as much as the second one. I love the art style and puzzles.
Me too! It's a very polished game. It was my first adventure game though, so I'm very biased when it comes to CMI.

Last edited by Wikbi; 04-13-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Metacritic works by taking the reviews of professional reviews
Just a slight correction. Metacritic uses only websites that it thinks are professional reviews because looking at this simple list of people they claim are "Professional Reviews" sites is horribly flawed (even though there ARE some good sites on there).

Rating something based on a list you create yourself is horribly flawed and terribly inaccurate (and prone to bias).
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #25

pffft Any "best" list that doesn't include at least one Myst game is whacked.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
That's your opinion, but this is based on a general consensus. You can't deny that.
Yeah it's my opinion but 'Jaesun' has a point;

"Metacritic uses only websites that it thinks are professional reviews because looking at this simple list of people they claim are "Professional Reviews" sites is horribly flawed.
Rating something based on a list you create yourself is horribly flawed and terribly inaccurate (and prone to bias)."

So by going by the list of responses everyone is giving in this thread,
I say the 'general consensus' is... that the LIST is flawed...
sorry but I can't take this seriously... there are just too many great
adventures missing...

Last edited by Weare6; 04-20-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #27

The Longest Journey is touted as one of the best games ever. To me it felt like a game that the creators wanted to make into a film but didn't have the money for.

It was long, boring, and annoying. One of the games I'm glad was finally over. I guess I'll check out some of the other titles on this list that I haven't played yet, but I'll be more cautious this time around. replica watches
Rolex replica Rolex replica watches replica handbag

Last edited by Psykryph; 04-24-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #28

No Day of the Tentacle???? It's a conspiracy I tells ya!