You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What single puzzle type makes you happiest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
I changed my title

Quote:
Also, I once played a free game on-line about a space traveller getting stranded in an alien world. In order to get off the planet, you had to listen in on the inhabitants and try to decipher their language, and finally be able to communicate with them.
I remember that game. I got terribly stuck because I failed to talk to the aliens right at the start, and kept thinking a swear-word was their word for fruit.

Back on topic, I love sliding block puzzle. I'm usually good at them, though the one near the end of Machinarium with the sliding beads had me stuck for so long I started getting claustrophobic.

Also, I like dialog puzzles, though they are shamefully uncommon today.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Also, I once played a free game on-line about a space traveller getting stranded in an alien world. In order to get off the planet, you had to listen in on the inhabitants and try to decipher their language, and finally be able to communicate with them.
What is the name of this game? It sounds really interesting.
TIA
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
I changed my title

Here it is (if that's indeed the game Harald is talking about)
http://www.abc.net.au/gameon/tork/more.htm
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #24

That's the one!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #25

Building and connection stuff.
Like when you have 10 different shaped pipes, that should be assembled to lead steam from A to B. Or connect different colored wires so that 4 lamps will shine.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
Building and connection stuff.
Like when you have 10 different shaped pipes, that should be assembled to lead steam from A to B. Or connect different colored wires so that 4 lamps will shine.
Oooh, add those to my list as well. Nancy Drew seems fond of pipes for some reason. Oh, and I played the Tork game that was mentioned earlier in the thread... I definately recommend playing it! It was a lot of fun!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac739 View Post
I really like close door puzzles, where everything you need is in the room or area with you.
YES! these rock. Especially when there hard. I am from the old school of adventure gaming when puzzles where really hard.
Although I like all types of puzzles.. its the ones where the solution is right there in front of you, and you need to either decipher the meaning or put together the pieces to get a solution..... very much loved Machinarium for that reason... Beautifully hard!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #28

My answer is very simple. I want my perfect puzzle to consist of me not knowing it's a puzzle. At this point of our adventure careers we've seen them all, so I want it to be subtle. Otherwise we are running a puzzle checklist in our heads until we decipher the code before attempting it in game.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #29
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard View Post
My answer is very simple. I want my perfect puzzle to consist of me not knowing it's a puzzle. At this point of our adventure careers we've seen them all, so I want it to be subtle. Otherwise we are running a puzzle checklist in our heads until we decipher the code before attempting it in game.
Exactly. In a way I have only myself to blame, I have played too many adventures. Been there, done that. I want to solve problems in the context of a engrossing story.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
Codger

Sliders! Favorite in puzzles and burgers