You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ever found a game unavailable in your country?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
The hell of it all

Default Ever found a game unavailable in your country?

Just seen a thread about games that have been a disappointment. But have you ever been let down by publishers not releasing in your country? How did you get around it?

I was certainly disappointed by the fact that the sequel to Missing was never released in the UK. Took me ages to even get hold of the game from a US distributor. But are they technically allowed to export the game to my country if the games licence does not cover it?

With people turning to file sharing (not something I will ever advocate) isn't it in the publishers interest to get the game out everywhere?

Have you ever found yourselves in the same position? What did you do?

Playing
Digital - A love story
Very soon - Amnesia!!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #2

I'm assuming you're in the UK.
If a game has been published in the US, you can buy it from interactcd.com or you may find it on eBay.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

The original Parasite Eve for PlayStation was never released in PAL regions. More recently, Deadly Premonition for X360 & PS3 has not yet been released in PAL.

It's really only region-locked console games that annoy me. Anything on PC is fine, as I can buy it online from anywhere and it'll work.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Almost all the time. If I can't get it in my country I ask friends in UK or USA. Takes couple of days (or more) to reach me.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Lazy Bee

Most of the time I have to wait a month or more before games I want are released in Sweden. If I'm anxious to get them I'll just have to order them through for instance Amazon uk.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Life and times of...

Being in an adventure forum, there's a bunch of games that are too small to make it into the "cold, dark North". Of course, often it's just that there's a huge delay and that the shops get like two copies of the game, but at that point one has usually forgotten about the game anyways.

Like, I can't remember any examples right now, because I've forgotten them all

You can buy things online I suppose (or just digitally but I prefer physical copies) but I rarely do that (with games).
Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I'm actually pleasantly surprised in the amount of adventures that reach the Polish shelves (I guess Germany becoming lately the European capital of adventure-gaming helps).

That said, I was very disappointed when the second season of Telltales Sam&Max didn't make it. Apparently the first one didn't sell well enough to justify another expensive localization (have to hand it to them, the localization of Season1 was pretty darn good, considering how much of the humour of Sam&Max is based on the English language... and they included the original version as well, which I really appreciate... as good as a translation might be, I always feel there's something lost and try to play the original).

And more recently, I wish someone would pick up The Whispered World already.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #8

Allegedly there is no market for adventure games in Israel. The popular genres are sports, RPG and various shoot-em-ups. Once in a while I find a classic adventure in the bargain bin. There are two ways to overcome this obstacle. First, one can always buy it online, through various suppliers. Second, trade for it on sites like www.gametz.com. I find the latter a very ocnvenient and much cheaper method for getting otherwise unobtainble games, at least here.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1275 View Post
But have you ever been let down by publishers not releasing in your country?
You've got to be kidding. Almost no adventure games are published in my Afro-European country called Serbia. They only sell "slaughterhouses" here .
Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #10

Default Road To India?

Guess most adventure companies haven't found the Road To India yet we never , ever get AG releases...
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
That said, I was very disappointed when the second season of Telltales Sam&Max didn't make it. Apparently the first one didn't sell well enough to justify another expensive localization (have to hand it to them, the localization of Season1 was pretty darn good, considering how much of the humour of Sam&Max is based on the English language... and they included the original version as well, which I really appreciate... as good as a translation might be, I always feel there's something lost and try to play the original).
And they don't sell non-localized versions? All the localization here is a two-page part in Finnish in the paper manual. Not that any game (or movie, aside from kids' stuff) ever has for example dubbing.

I only just found Sam & Max: Season 2 this week in Finland (in retail). So, maybe you could take another look? Or then it really is how you said...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #12

Same here, no use waiting for AG games to reach Denmark. I buy everything from Amazon or Play.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #13

EU didn't get Chrono Trigger first.
But now we have the DS release. =)
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to HELPME9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
And more recently, I wish someone would pick up The Whispered World already.
Don't be surprised if your wish might be fullfilled in the not so distant future
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
And they don't sell non-localized versions? All the localization here is a two-page part in Finnish in the paper manual. Not that any game (or movie, aside from kids' stuff) ever has for example dubbing.

I only just found Sam & Max: Season 2 this week in Finland (in retail). So, maybe you could take another look? Or then it really is how you said...
Unfortunately not. Localization is a pretty big thing around these parts, hiring big-name actors (not only voice-over actors, but polish film stars) is quite common. The "PL" language stamp is a selling point for a lot of people I guess.

I suppose it's got something to do with German and Russian being much more 'popular' languages in schools than English for a long time. Come to think of it, it's still going on in the smaller cities - my two younger cousins, both around 18, have never had English classes.

Case in point - even Machinarium gets 'professionally translated' over here And the "polish language version" is a proud member of the games 'features list'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPME9999 View Post
Don't be surprised if your wish might be fullfilled in the not so distant future
You mean people are 'picking it up' for themselves, or do you have some inside distribution info?

Last edited by MoP; 06-04-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
In an evening of July...

Most games that come out in Germany are heavily cut, even on Steam - which I find absurd and ridiculous. Those I mostly import from the UK, games are cheaper over there anyway.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Deadly Premonition for X360 & PS3 has not yet been released in PAL.
Anyone know if Deadly Premonition is ever coming out in europe?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
You've got to be kidding. Almost no adventure games are published in my Afro-European country called Serbia. They only sell "slaughterhouses" here .
yep, NONE