You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Need a good historical mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #1

Default Need a good historical mystery

Hey there. These days I rally feel the urge to play a good ol' fashioned adventure similar to the broken sword series/fate of atlantis/you get the drift

So any recommendations would be appreciated since I find it difficult to research the abundance of hidden gems that go unnoticed from the adventure genre's publishers.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Pixiehunter

Gabriel Knight 2 comes to mind. It isn't completely a history game, but about a fair share of it involves the history of Ludwig II of Bavaria.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #3

Don't know if you liked BS3? If you did I can recommend Secret Files 1 & 2. Really a lot like BS3 and lots and lots of fun(at least I thought so)

I can also recommend "Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life" another great historic/conspiracy installment. Linking pirate treasures to the mystery of the Mary Celeste all the way to the mystical fountain of youth. May not be as great as Broken Sword but still a lot of fun.

Oh and though I haven't played GK2 I have played the first and third installment in that series. And especially the third one I can recommend. Linking the sacred bloodline and the templars to vampires and many more. It's like "The Davinchi Code" but way better!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #4

Thanks fellas. Will have a look at these titles!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soender View Post
Hey there. These days I rally feel the urge to play a good ol' fashioned adventure similar to the broken sword series/fate of atlantis/you get the drift

So any recommendations would be appreciated since I find it difficult to research the abundance of hidden gems that go unnoticed from the adventure genre's publishers.
What about Nibiru? I was personally fairly unimpressed by it but reviews generally were good and it has the elements you seem to be looking for?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
What about Nibiru? I was personally fairly unimpressed by it but reviews generally were good and it has the elements you seem to be looking for?
If I may be so very bold and impolite: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T!
This is one of the worst historic/conspiracy games ever made! It's one of the very few games I regret buying. Not only does the story ever get truly interresting, the characters are cardboard as well and the puzzles are extremely simple except for one puzzle wich is nere unsolvable. Really I'd advise you to stay as far away as you can from this piece of junk.
Once again sorry for the impoliteness. I know every game takes lots of will and strength to make but I really disliked this one.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
This is one of the worst historic/conspiracy games ever made! It's one of the very few games I regret buying. Not only does the story ever get truly interresting, the characters are cardboard as well and the puzzles are extremely simple except for one puzzle wich is nere unsolvable. Really I'd advise you to stay as far away as you can from this piece of junk.
Once again sorry for the impoliteness. I know every game takes lots of will and strength to make but I really disliked this one.
gray pierce, you shock me! I have to say I really enjoyed NiBiRu, very much even. It had some weak moments in gameplay and voice acting sure, but I found the story interesting enough to keep me glued to the chair, finishing it in a few but pretty long sessions.
I think it's Broken Sword gone a bit wrong. I liked it though, so I think Soender should give it a chance!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Don't worry about it mate; i totally agree with you about the game. But hey, others have liked it so i threw it out there as somethgin the guy may like. My personal opinion of it chimes with your own though.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Don't know if you liked BS3? If you did I can recommend Secret Files 1 & 2. Really a lot like BS3 and lots and lots of fun(at least I thought so)

I can also recommend "Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life" another great historic/conspiracy installment. Linking pirate treasures to the mystery of the Mary Celeste all the way to the mystical fountain of youth. May not be as great as Broken Sword but still a lot of fun.

Oh and though I haven't played GK2 I have played the first and third installment in that series. And especially the third one I can recommend. Linking the sacred bloodline and the templars to vampires and many more. It's like "The Davinchi Code" but way better!
Chronicles of Mystery got 2.5 stars on this site? I'm taking it you disagree? I'm never sure what to make of the reviews here. I love a good historical conspiracy game.

And yes yes yes to Gabriel Knight, threadstarter. Those should be your launching point.

Other nice historical games are the Sherlock Holmes ones. Though they're not as much conspiratorial.

Kheops makes some fun ones too.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
gray pierce, you shock me! I have to say I really enjoyed NiBiRu, very much even. It had some weak moments in gameplay and voice acting sure, but I found the story interesting enough to keep me glued to the chair, finishing it in a few but pretty long sessions.
I think it's Broken Sword gone a bit wrong. I liked it though, so I think Soender should give it a chance!
I figured you'd like this one. Generally I share your taste but this one I just really disliked. I'm not sure why this one more than some others but I just do it's the same with "Undercover: Operation Wintersun" wich I found the most boring game ever played whilst some found it still pretty enjoyable. I guess those are the exceptions that proves the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
Chronicles of Mystery got 2.5 stars on this site? I'm taking it you disagree? I'm never sure what to make of the reviews here. I love a good historical conspiracy game.

And yes yes yes to Gabriel Knight, threadstarter. Those should be your launching point.

Other nice historical games are the Sherlock Holmes ones. Though they're not as much conspiratorial.

Kheops makes some fun ones too.
I certainly disagree, I think it deserves 3.5 stars. Especially since that is the rating that the first installment in the series (that would be "The Scorpio Ritual) got and that one was a lot less good than "The Tree of Life" so I think it's very unfair but that's just me.

Also I guess "The Awakened" is kinda conspiritorial. I'd certainly advise those games to anyone no matter what.

EDIT: While reading again I discovered this post suffers from poor choice of words. So just to be clear with "those" I mean the games I mentioned not the people who liked it
Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #11

also, Memento Mori (decent story and superb graphics) and Artematica's Belief & Betrayal and Martin Mystère: Operation Dorian Gray, which both suffer from bad voice acting and proofreading, which leads to a confusing story. And then there is Mystery of the Druids, which isn't as bad as the reviews it got, if I remember correctly (I'll install it today to verify that). And The Riddle of Master Lu is more indianajones-y and similar in execution, but a bit older game.
EDIT: I guess I won't be playing Mystery of the Druids, the old 3 cd version does not work with Vista/7, the DVD version has a patch available. Meh.

Last edited by 900Mhz; 04-26-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Mhz View Post
also, Memento Mori (decent story and superb graphics) and Artematica's Belief & Betrayal and Martin Mystère: Operation Dorian Gray, which both suffer from bad voice acting and proofreading, which leads to a confusing story. And then there is Mystery of the Druids, which isn't as bad as the reviews it got, if I remember correctly (I'll install it today to verify that). And The Riddle of Master Lu is more indianajones-y and similar in execution, but a bit older game.
EDIT: I guess I won't be playing Mystery of the Druids, the old 3 cd version does not work with Vista/7, the DVD version has a patch available. Meh.
Memento Mori, another one I really disliked, mostly for it's lackluster ending but most people thought it pretty good and very rewarding so I guess it could be something up Soender's alley. Belief and Betrayal and Martin Mystere for me falls in the same category as NiBiRU and Undercover: Operation Wintersun: mistakes. Mystery of the Druids sounds pretty weird but I didn't play it so I shouldn't be too judgemental on that one.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Memento Mori, another one I really disliked, mostly for it's lackluster ending but most people thought it pretty good and very rewarding so I guess it could be something up Soender's alley. Belief and Betrayal and Martin Mystere for me falls in the same category as NiBiRU and Undercover: Operation Wintersun: mistakes. Mystery of the Druids sounds pretty weird but I didn't play it so I shouldn't be too judgemental on that one.
While we may disagree on NiBiRu and Memento Mori, I'm glad we agree on Operation Wintersun, Belief and Betrayal and the absolutely terrible Martin Mystere; the worst adventure game I've ever played. It had so much potential and the nice surface tricked me into believing it would deliver, but it was a really bad experience throughout the entire game. Only thing I liked about it was the music which was very good actually.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

The last express, duh.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #15

You guys rock! I am currently playing Secret Files: Tunguska and loving it! Keep em coming fellas. I need my historical mysteries
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #16

Quote:
While we may disagree on NiBiRu and Memento Mori, I'm glad we agree on Operation Wintersun, Belief and Betrayal and the absolutely terrible Martin Mystere; the worst adventure game I've ever played. It had so much potential and the nice surface tricked me into believing it would deliver, but it was a really bad experience throughout the entire game. Only thing I liked about it was the music which was very good actually.
Yeah I definetely agree with you that NiBiRu and Memento Mori were better than Operation Wintersun (boring and ugly) Belief and Betrayal and Martin mystere I'm wondering right now if Artematica is perhaps chronically incapable of producing good AGs

Quote:
The last express, duh
Defintely! Go with that one. It's not exactly what you have in mind I think but it's still one of the greatest games ever made

Quote:
You guys rock! I am currently playing Secret Files: Tunguska and loving it! Keep em coming fellas. I need my historical mysteries
Hurray! for once I gave a good recommendation! Also I totally agree with you Secret Files rocks! Though I found the sequal not as good as the original but once again I'm in the minority there.

Last edited by gray pierce; 04-26-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #17

You just can´t go wrong with The Last Express & Broken Sword
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #18

Just wanted to give a shoutout to forum member Jacques l'aliéné. He send me a private message regarding his site http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#

I can't send pm's yet buddy. Not enough notches in my belt yet it would seem. But consider your page bookmarked! A nice place to research adventure titles indeed!

And gray pierce. Tunguska is really awesome. Nice intriguing story with that place in Siberia and some sweet looking graphics to go with it. Thanks a bunch good Sir!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Just wanted to give a shoutout to forum member Jacques l'aliéné. He send me a private message regarding his site http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#

I can't send pm's yet buddy. Not enough notches in my belt yet it would seem. But consider your page bookmarked! A nice place to research adventure titles indeed!

And gray pierce. Tunguska is really awesome. Nice intriguing story with that place in Siberia and some sweet looking graphics to go with it. Thanks a bunch good Sir!
Please, you flatter me I'm blushing! Anyways if you like the story, there's a two part episode of "The X Files" that revolves around it as well. You can't miss it as the first part is entitled "Tunguska" Oh, and I'm not sure where you're from but there's a Belgian comic bookseries entitled "Nico"(no relation to BS) coming out next month that also revolves around this event. But it's only available in Belgium, France and Holland. Anyways just some more tips on the subject. Now let's get back on games before I get another notice from Dale Baldwin for drifting off.

If you're gonna follow up on my other tip and pick up Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, I should warn you it's not as good as Secret Files. It's still very enjoyable though

Last edited by gray pierce; 04-26-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Yeah I definetely agree with you that NiBiRu and Memento Mori were better than Operation Wintersun (boring and ugly) Belief and Betrayal and Martin mystere I'm wondering right now if Artematica is perhaps chronically incapable of producing good AG.
You can say that again, I installed Martin Mystere back to my computer and almost immediately uninstalled it. Mhm mhh mm hmh. Most of the lines said in the game consist of that. That plus the really awful voice acting really just kills the atmosphere completely. I haven't finished the game ever, because I never understood the story even when I completed half of the game. Belief & Betrayal I actually completed and it had a pretty decent story and a bit better execution with the voices, but still a turkey game. Nibiru doesn't actually seem that bad (actually pretty good), but I just started playing it.
And yes, Mystery of the Druids was actually a pretty decent game. (I watched a few Youtube videos instead of playing it) It had the feeling of a great adventure, but it had a lot of faults as well.

I, too, want to find more of these kind of games. Does anybody know more good ones? What about Murder in the Abbey? Or bad ones?

Here's a few more suggestions: Shadow of Destiny and the very obscure Black Sect, that has been released as freeware on it's publishers (Lankhor) website. And then there's a game called The Scroll, which wasn't very memorable, because I can't remember what it was like. And more on the Indiana Jones-side of things Amazon and Flight of the Amazon Queen (which is freeware on ScummVM site, but a pretty bad game, I think) And... The Crystal Skull, starring the dude from Miami Vice!