You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Movies you watched that felt like an adventure game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #41
Staff Member

The City Of Lost Children

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/

No surprise this surreal French fantasy got turned into a very obscure adventure game; the children literally solve point and click style puzzles, including poking a key out of a door to retrieve it at one point.

The movie's good, if you like Jean-Pierre Jeunet (director of Amelie, amongst other things) and the versatile Ron Perlman. Never played the game, which seems to have very mixed reviews.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverheim View Post
"National Treasure" really felt like a typical adventuregame - always look for some cues to find the next location, use whatever you can pick up to overcome some obstacles and of course a hunt for some ancient treasure.
Good example, made me think of Dan Brown's books and movies (Da Vinchi, Angels and demons) which are probably books inspired of AG!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

National Treasure 1 & 2
Memento
Angels and Demons
The da Vinci Code
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
Crazy face

Has anyone said Coraline yet? I mean, it was turned into a crummy game I think, but the structure of the movie (and the book as well I guess...) could really be turned into an adventure game.

Specifically thinking about the bit where Coraline has to collect the three...stones?...and you can totally see the player being able to get them in any order they please.

Oh man, now I want to make a mockup of it in Photoshop...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #45

The Librarians 1, 2, & 3. They are like exact adventure games of generic mystery / religious artifact type of game. Especially the third, which more than most likely was inspired Gabriel Knights 1 & 3 (vampires in New Orleans, Marie Laveau's tomb, The Wandering Jew.) The first shows the low budget it had and also it's a bit childish, but the second one (with King Solomon's mines) is already a lot better and the third one is good fun. Now waiting for the fourth part.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #46
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
My heart leaped when I saw this on the shelf at Wal-mart:

As soon I picked it up and read "hidden object adventure game" on the box, I sighed and put it back on the shelf. Oh well. Maybe some of the casual game fans here would like to try it?

When I watched action-adventure movies like Tomb Raider and National Treasure, I couldn't help thinking they seem to play out like adventure games (undiscovered treasure, ancient maps containing clues, trotting from city to city, improbable plot twists).
Horrible game. You saved yourself some money.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #47

I swore I was watching Monkey Island instead of Pirates of the Carribean. I'm certain they got a lot of inspiration from the game.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #48

Oh, The Mummy 1 kind of gave me an adventure game feel.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #49

I always think of Guybrush Threepwood whenever I watch a Buster Keaton film.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #50

That Paranormal Activity (was that the title?) film that was out a while back reminded me a lot of the Jonathan Boakes games.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #51

Is there any movie that felt like an adventure game? Many, because I switched them off! That was in the good old days when I still had a TV.

Seriously, I don't think you can't compare apples with oranges. There hasn't been a successful mix so far.

Movies that require the use of some higher brain functions, maybe? Hmm...

* Memento
* The Sting (1973) with Robert Redford. I still haven't worked out every detail of how they did it.

Now that I think of it:
* Tomb Raider the Movie - the anticipated suspension of disbelief, and failure to regress to the required state of teenage mind. That's what I experience with most adventure games you guys are raving about, too.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #52

I always thought the TV movie version of Gulliver's Travels with Ted Danson could easily be turned into an adventure game. You have multiple lands, Gulliver collecting a myriad of mementos from each world, the right amount of challenges and ordeals to face and just a great story.

Definitely a favourite film of mine growing up.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #53
MI Expert

Send a message via AIM to guybrushgurl Send a message via MSN to guybrushgurl Send a message via Yahoo to guybrushgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchingPadTristan View Post
Has anyone said Coraline yet? I mean, it was turned into a crummy game I think, but the structure of the movie (and the book as well I guess...) could really be turned into an adventure game.

Specifically thinking about the bit where Coraline has to collect the three...stones?...and you can totally see the player being able to get them in any order they please.
I totally agree!!! When I saw that movie that was the first thing I thought!