Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Movies you watched that felt like an adventure game. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26682-movies-you-watched-felt-like-adventure-game.html)

Isak 04-17-2010 12:29 PM

Movies you watched that felt like an adventure game.

I've just seen "The Ghost Writer", by Polanski... Great movie!
Anyway, when I watched the movie, I couldn't help to think that it almost felt like an adventure game. The story, the character development and the twists, just like a good sterotyphical adventure game.
Have you seen any movies where you have had the same feeling?

L-Jazz 04-17-2010 01:25 PM

I really want to go and see that one, seems like a very good movie. It has received very nice reviews here in Sweden so I definitely think it will be worth the money :)

"Shutter Island" seems to me, a perfect story for an adventure game. I thought so when I read the book and I thought so even more after I'd seen the fantastic movie adaption.
Can't help to think that "Overclocked - A history of violence" was more than a little inspired by Lehane's masterpiece of a thriller, so in a way "Shutter Island" already has its adventure game equivalent.

cbman 04-17-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 546010)
I've just seen "The Ghost Writer", by Polanski... Great movie!
Anyway, when I watched the movie, I couldn't help to think that it almost felt like an adventure game. The story, the character development and the twists, just like a good sterotyphical adventure game.

do the words 'good' and 'stereotypical' go together?!

Sorry... :P

Isak 04-17-2010 02:34 PM

Well of course! Take a game like Secret Files: Tunguska. Not original at all looked like a lot of other adventure games, but a great game. Maybe I expressed myself wrong, but I hope you get my point.

gray pierce 04-17-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546024)
I really want to go and see that one, seems like a very good movie. It has received very nice reviews here in Sweden so I definitely think it will be worth the money :)

"Shutter Island" seems to me, a perfect story for an adventure game. I thought so when I read the book and I thought so even more after I'd seen the fantastic movie adaption.
Can't help to think that "Overclocked - A history of violence" was more than a little inspired by Lehane's masterpiece of a thriller, so in a way "Shutter Island" already has its adventure game equivalent.

20th of May, then it's coming out in our little shithole. But L-Jazz since you're from Sweden I think you're gonna be dissapointed. Sweden produces the best thrillers ever! No way Polanski's gonna top that!

And yes "Overclocked" is "Shutter Island" reworked. I played that game just after I saw the movie (though I love the Kenzie/Genarro series by Lehane I haven't read the novel) and it's very similar. From the assylum itself to the storm, even down to some of the plottwists. Still love the game to pieces though. One of the best games in recent years no doubt!

Ascovel 04-17-2010 04:08 PM

Pirates by Polanski - a slightly darker Monkey Island adventure game :)

gray pierce 04-17-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 546062)
Pirates by Polanski - a slightly darker Monkey Island adventure game :)

Really looking forward to that one but last time I looked it didn't even have a Dutch release date yet. Is it good? Or more likely how good is it?

Trunkyo 04-17-2010 04:39 PM

My heart leaped when I saw this on the shelf at Wal-mart:
http://i48.tinypic.com/w705jm.jpg
As soon I picked it up and read "hidden object adventure game" on the box, I sighed and put it back on the shelf. Oh well. Maybe some of the casual game fans here would like to try it?

When I watched action-adventure movies like Tomb Raider and National Treasure, I couldn't help thinking they seem to play out like adventure games (undiscovered treasure, ancient maps containing clues, trotting from city to city, improbable plot twists).

gray pierce 04-17-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunkyo (Post 546069)
My heart leaped when I saw this on the shelf at Wal-mart:
http://i48.tinypic.com/w705jm.jpg
As soon I picked it up and read "hidden object adventure game" on the box, I sighed and put it back on the shelf. Oh well. Maybe some of the casual game fans here would like to try it?

When I watched action-adventure movies like Tomb Raider and National Treasure, I couldn't help thinking they seem to play out like adventure games (undiscovered treasure, ancient maps containing clues, trotting from city to city, improbable plot twists).

Sorry for responding to every post now. please, tell me if you find me annoying. I just love talking about movies. Anyways I think it's a real waste making "Shutter Island" a cassual. Though I do like cassual games every now and then I think a story as deep and complex as "Shutter Island" is simply not suited for this particular genre.

National Treasure'd make great adventure games. Looking forward to the third film allready. Tomb Raider however is allready a game franchise (no brainer of the year perhaps?) and allthough I'd love to see it converted into an AG series that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Though Underworld was pretty close in a way.

Also to add my two cents: I'd like to see an AG based on "Se7en" Perhaps featuring Somerset on another equally dark case. He's probably one of the greatest characters ever created in cinematic history, lots of thanks to Morgan Freeman who played the character in a wonderful tuned down kind of way. He's certainly my favorite movie character. Even surpassing "Verbal Kint" The concept of a new case wouldn't work as a sequal film but would as a game adaptation. You'd have the killer leaving all kinds of cryptic clues wich Somerset then has to look up in the library. Unlocking codes and stuff. The usual AG tricks.

Also talking about Morgan Freeman, I'd love to see an Alex Cross game. The first two novels ("Along came a Spider" and "Kiss the Girls") were adapted into movies that's why I'm bringing it up. Anyways I hope after "Womes Murder Club" Patterson's gonna give the green light to "Alex Cross" Only not as a casual but as a full fledged AG. It'd be like Art of Murder only a hundred times better! Probably better dream on

booB 04-17-2010 10:32 PM

Memento.

L-Jazz 04-18-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546058)
20th of May, then it's coming out in our little shithole. But L-Jazz since you're from Sweden I think you're gonna be dissapointed. Sweden produces the best thrillers ever! No way Polanski's gonna top that!

And yes "Overclocked" is "Shutter Island" reworked. I played that game just after I saw the movie (though I love the Kenzie/Genarro series by Lehane I haven't read the novel) and it's very similar. From the assylum itself to the storm, even down to some of the plottwists. Still love the game to pieces though. One of the best games in recent years no doubt!

True, but still I think that The Ghostwriter is gonna be very good, at least I hope so. We'll see.

Yeah there are many similarities between the two. The main character's 'fear' of going on the ferry for example, for different reasons though, but still. That's it, I have to start replaying Overclocked tonight! Also one of my favorite games en recent years :)

gray pierce 04-18-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-Jazz (Post 546138)
True, but still I think that The Ghostwriter is gonna be very good, at least I hope so. We'll see.

Yeah there are many similarities between the two. The main character's 'fear' of going on the ferry for example, for different reasons though, but still. That's it, I have to start replaying Overclocked tonight! Also one of my favorite games en recent years :)

Yeah I agree, The Ghostwriter's gonna be good. Just not as good as most Swedish thrillers but good anyway

And I envy you so much! I wish I had time to replay Overclocked but I don't. Keep me posted if you find anything new second time 'round.

Mohlin 04-18-2010 09:37 AM

Saw I + II (have not seen the rest) are some kind of horror adventure/puzzle games (movies). The first one is a classic "get out of the room" and the second an extension of that.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 546150)
Saw I + II (have not seen the rest) are some kind of horror adventure/puzzle games (movies). The first one is a classic "get out of the room" and the second an extension of that.

I haven't played the game because of all the bad reviews but isn't "Still Life 2" a lot like "Saw" ?

Ascovel 04-18-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546068)
Really looking forward to that one but last time I looked it didn't even have a Dutch release date yet. Is it good? Or more likely how good is it?

For me it's the best pirate movie out there, but you have to see it and judge it for yourself.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 546158)
For me it's the best pirate movie out there, but you have to see it and judge it for yourself.

Will certainly do!

EDIT: I've looked it up and it looks really good but it's a completely different movie than the one I was talking about. That movie is also called "Pirates" but no info about it has been released and with Polanski back with "The Ghost Writer" I emediatly assumed that must've been the movie you refered to. Now I'm not looking forward to it that much anymore. Will just see exactly what it is first. Anyways, still definetly gonna watch Polanski's "Pirates"as soon as I got time.

Isak 04-18-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546146)
Yeah I agree, The Ghostwriter's gonna be good. Just not as good as most Swedish thrillers but good anyway

Do you have any specific movies in mind? I think 95 % of the Swedish movies are terrible, like Beck (the same script in every movie, almost) and all the other detective thrillers are kinda the same (Wallander, Johan Falk, etc...)
Although, I was surprised when I watched the movies based on Steig Larssons books (Män som hatar kvinnor = The girl with the dragon tatoo, and the other two) - they were really good! By the way, I actually lived on the same street for many years as where Mikael Blomqvist office is located in the books/movies! :)

Mohlin 04-18-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 546152)
I haven't played the game because of all the bad reviews but isn't "Still Life 2" a lot like "Saw" ?

Haven't played the Saw games, and Still Life 1 I never finished, actually. So I can not help you there I'm afraid.

gray pierce 04-18-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 546173)
Do you have any specific movies in mind? I think 95 % of the Swedish movies are terrible, like Beck (the same script in every movie, almost) and all the other detective thrillers are kinda the same (Wallander, Johan Falk, etc...)
Although, I was surprised when I watched the movies based on Steig Larssons books (Män som hatar kvinnor = The girl with the dragon tatoo, and the other two) - they were really good! By the way, I actually lived on the same street for many years as where Mikael Blomqvist office is located in the books/movies! :)

I guess it's a matter of taste but I love Wallander both the novel adaptations as well as the fantastic new films starring Krister Henrikson as the titular character. Apart from the "Millenium" adaptations you mentioned I also really liked the "Irene Huss" series of films though I sadly haven't read the novels. But no I don't like "Beck" either. I think that's the exception that proves the rule. (wich it turns out, is not exactly a rule after all)

gray pierce 04-18-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 546175)
Haven't played the Saw games, and Still Life 1 I never finished, actually. So I can not help you there I'm afraid.

Sorry for double posting here but I saw you're ppst to late I'm afraid. Anyways I know you're a very puzzle centric gamer but I'd still very much advise you to finish "Still Life" It's really one of the best interactive thrillers I've ever played. The story must appeal even to the most non-story centric gamer. Besides there are some really hard puzzzles in that game.