You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Confirmed: Lucasarts releasing Monkey Island 2: Special Edition!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #41
The Quiet One

This is fan-fucking-tastic news. Can't wait for it!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #42

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/th...unced-for-xbl/

Quote:
"In addition to the point-and-click interface, we've added the ability to move Guybrush around, so you feel more connected to him," said LucasArts' Craig Derrick, project lead on all Monkey Island products.
Any chance this is using the 3D tech that fan demo did to show what Lucas Arts could do for a remake???
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #43

In that lucasarts tweet someone posted earlier it says something about "new puzzles", does that mean they're gonna add new puzzles or they mean new puzzles compared to the first SE monkey island? I don't think it would be a good idea personally.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #44
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper View Post
But what I'm most excited about are the commentaries! That's awesome! Has that ever been done in a computer game before?
Yeah, it has. In Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Portal and Left 4 Dead to name a few. In terms of adventure games... no. At least, not to my knowledge.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/th...unced-for-xbl/

Any chance this is using the 3D tech that fan demo did to show what Lucas Arts could do for a remake???
None whatsoever. I'm pretty sure it means you can just directly control Guybrush instead of pointing and clicking.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #46
The Quiet One

Quote:
I too would love to see Broken Sword get ported to 360/PS3. Too bad Revolution is spending all their time complaining about how it would be too much work to convert the backgrounds to HD. It's a complete BS excuse and hopefully, as they realize how much opportunity their missing out, on they'll wise up and make a proper HD quality version of BS 1 & 2.
Well, I'm not sure about Broken Sword 1 & 2 being released on multiple platforms in HD, but I have read from Tony, on Revolution's forums, that their next games will be released on multiple platforms. As many as possible, in fact.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Games like S&M, DOTT, and Full Throttle could be straight ports or even just nominally updated by optimizing them for HD and I'd be fine with that.
Ah, then I most definately agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manly One View Post
Apart from streamlining the controls, I hope they also provide the option to play the original version of the game merged with the updated sound effects, voice-over and music.
Yes! This would be so great! I wondered if they did that with SoMI:SE (I never checked). If they did it would be the only reason why I'd buy it. The second one looks like they've done a much better job with the art so I'll get it regardless.

EDIT: MI2 website says 'character voiceover available in both special edition and classic modes'. EXCITEMENT!!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #48

Great news. Between this and the GOG rereleases of so many great games it sounds like publishers are finally realising what download distribution means for their back catalogues: namely, that if they want to stop people pirating their old games, they need to make sure those old games are available, and thanks to download stores they can.

Still, I love the fact that LucasArts are offering these lavish updates to their old games rather than just patching them for XP/Vista/7 and tossing them on GOG. It's not that having games available on GOG isn't nice, it's just that this way we can see how a classic adventure game can hold its own against other offerings on Wiiware/XBox Live/PSN. (The fact that they bothered to do MI2 the same way suggests to me that yes, the game holds up remarkably well against the competition....)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #49

One word: YAY! :-)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #50

Good news! Guybrush looks better. Background quality seems mixed like in the first SE. Still need to beat that one.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #51
Life and times of...

So... Summer, was it? Nothing more specific?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #52

I had a response from Craig Derrick on his twitter page the other day, I asked him how far into development it was and were they close to finishing and he said the following;

"Still some work to do, but we're close. Really stoked you like what we've shown so far!"

So I'm guessing will hear of a release date sometime in May plus the trailer will be available on the official site by then

Last edited by Rosswell; 03-13-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #53

i wish they got the original artists to do it. i can't fully get over the fundamental change in style, especially in terms of their faces. the original artists had a real sense of humor to their style that is bonded to the game itself for me.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Yeah, it has. In Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Portal and Left 4 Dead to name a few. In terms of adventure games... no. At least, not to my knowledge.
Dave Gilbert does (excellent) commentaries for all his games, such as the Blackwell series. Another (non-adventure) game I remember having a commentary was the latest Riddick game.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #55
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

Great news!!! Announced a lot faster than I anticipated.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #56

In case you haven't seen these already, LucasArts are uploading new pictures to their facebook page every day.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=78883723363

This is what they've put up so far:

More are coming! It's looking pretty nice!!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #57
J.H
Frak.

Looks really good, although Guybrush could do with a shadow lol
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #58
Caffein Queen

Wish they would release them other places than Steam!

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #59

Early March there was a report that SOMI:SE would become available at the Telltale store and InstantAction.com, as well as being ported to PSN and Mac.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #60

I am glad he still has that dorky, sad excuse of a beard.

This will definitively be THE game of the year for me. I just hope they plan to release them on DVD as well.