You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Confirmed: Lucasarts releasing Monkey Island 2: Special Edition!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Confirmed: Lucasarts releasing Monkey Island 2: Special Edition!

OMG! One of my top adventure games of all time! I hope it's true! And it's not April 1st yet so we're safe from jokes...

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5486393/rumor-luca...pecial-edition
Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

Wow, this would be great! I've started playing MI games with "Curse of Monkey Island" back in 1999 or 2000. But I haven't played the first two games so far; they are too "retro" for my taste and from today's standpoint. Therefore I was thrilled when they've released "The Secret of Monkey Island SE". I've really enjoyed it, so I'm hoping they will release the SE version of MI2 aswell.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Caffein Queen

I don't have the first one, since it's from Steam, and I won't go that way.
So I'm still hoping it will venture to other outlets.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Life and times of...

So good!

The Steam Lucasarts package (though I still haven't gotten around to playing it) with the Indies and Loom, I think, GK1 and now GK2 on GOG.com, the Monkey Island Special Edition and now this!

And of course some great new AGs that have come and are coming recently.

For me these new versions are certainly not about them being too "retro" or anything, just that there's no chance I'm able to spend whatever the cost on Ebay or something for the really old games that have the risk of not working. Such a fine thing to do, this (and especially the fact about the MIs on XBox live).

(Edit: Though perhaps I shouldn't get too hyped until the official confirmation)

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-07-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Schättenjager

Bout time!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Yay! I was just reading this at kotaku. The fact that they only released the indies, as UPtimist put it, on Steam made me wonder if they were planning on giving this kind of treatment to more of their old games.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

i just hope they dont make guybrush too dorky looking. eventhough im sure they will. in mi2 he was more indiana jonesy
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
J.H
Frak.

I think this was bound to happen after the success of the first one, definitely great news.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #9

I literally was going to do a post/poll here yesterday to see what everyone expected next from the Lucasarts Adventure Game revival as I was beginning to wonder if LA had any plans to press on with it's efforts to reinvigorate the classics....or if everyone thought it was done and over. While this is hardly official I can't say it's a surprise. MI 2 makes perfect sense as the next candidate for a remake. Let's hope Lucas has plans for even more than that by year's end, I'd really like to see Sam & Max, DOTT, and Full Throttle get the remake treatment as well as a port of Curse of MI!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Game Designer

Awesome news, can't wait!

Cheers,
Myles Blasonato.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Let's hope Lucas has plans for even more than that by year's end, I'd really like to see Sam & Max, DOTT, and Full Throttle get the remake treatment as well as a port of Curse of MI!
I'm not really sure a remake of those ones would be necessary though would it? I mean, they all had voice acting, the animation is well done for all (particularly Full Throttle). I don't think I'd even want them to do those titles...

But as for MI2, great! I agree though, just don't make him dorky looking

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
The Quiet One

My God, I hope this is true.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I'm not really sure a remake of those ones would be necessary though would it? I mean, they all had voice acting, the animation is well done for all (particularly Full Throttle). I don't think I'd even want them to do those titles...
I agree, but I would be nice to have a way of getting these games legally without resorting to auction/used games stores and paying sometimes more than you would for a brand new title. If the remakes come with the option of playing the original classic, better yet.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #14

I think LucasArts will actually learn from the (not that many) mistakes they made with MI:SE. Mainly the controls and and some graphics, but I think that with the remake the game showed it's age. MI2 is a much stronger game and with LucasArts apparently paying attention to what fans are saying, I think it will be pretty hard for them to screw up this remake. They could also learn a thing or two from Broken Sword: Director's Cut iPhone version, excellent controls.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post

But as for MI2, great! I agree though, just don't make him dorky looking
I would agree with that....using "remake" was the wrong word choice. If we're talking about a game like MI 1, Loom, or the Indy adventures then those are games that need the MI: SE treatment to appeal to anyone other than nostalgic adventure gamers wanting to replay a favored classic. Games like S&M, DOTT, and Full Throttle could be straight ports or even just nominally updated by optimizing them for HD and I'd be fine with that.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #16

There seems to be something happening imminently at GDC, according to the LucasArts twitter feed. They suggest you follow their updates. Exciting times!

Edit: According to some of the tweets, SoMI:SE is coming to Mac and PS3. One of the fans LucasArts invited said it's coming to the Telltale site. Which is awesome. This is apparently announcement one.

Announcement two? MI2:SE.

Last edited by D.C.; 03-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #17

http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames/status/10302747106

"Oh yeah, another thing: LeChucks Revenge: Special Edition is official! New puzzles, new enemies, new hair!" -- 7 minutes ago via Echofon.

Well, that's a relief.

I hope they spend more time on the backgrounds this time around.

Apart from streamlining the controls, I hope they also provide the option to play the original version of the game merged with the updated sound effects, voice-over and music.

Last edited by Manly One; 03-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #18

Apparently there's voice acting in both the new and classic versions. There's also some new 'box' art here. Lookin' spiffy, huh? Loyal to the source material too. I want screenshots, damn it!

Edit: It's just been confirmed for PSN, XBLA, Mac, iPhone and PC. Good times! Here's the official site, with screenshots and all. I've got to say, I'm impressed with the art direction. I like the look of Guybrush too. Apparently there's a concept art gallery and a behind-the-scenes commentary included with the game. You also get the choice to play either point-and-click or with direct control. Coming Summer 2010. I can't wait!

Last edited by D.C.; 03-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #19

Screenshots for the lazy:

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #20

I'm particularly looking forward to the voiced skeleton dance song.