You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst Online is up again - and it's free

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Easily amused

I'm playing Uru Live for the first time. I would say that it would be helpful if you had played the at home versions of Uru. It helped me. It's also good to find a buddy and get them to help you out with stuff.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #22

After trying the game for about an hour, i'm not really sure if i'm gonna go back to this game again.
I'm not really fond of the control & have no clues of what i'm supposed to be doing, also it seems nobody else is playing, i'm just by myself running around in empty world
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #23

You can play the game in first person which makes the controls much smoother. Hit F1 to switch perspective.

Hang with the game for a while and you'll find that you come to understand how it's constructed. It's definitely not linear and there are many things to do. If you feel stuck check out a walkthrough for one of the ages to get an idea what you should be doing.

I've been a fan for a long time and am so pleased it's back.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #24
Easily amused

You can approach Uru Live 2 ways - just join in and explore the scenerey, meet people in strange environments, or chat.
The second is to make an effort to play the game and learn about the world. It won't mean much if you don't take the initiative to find out more.
As most of you know, Myst like games are not handed to you an a plate. They make you think, read and work things out by trial and error. With Uru Live, the fun part is having others really there with you helping you with your puzzles.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #25
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'm not enjoying this at all, but I'll stick with it a bit longer to see if it goes somewhere.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #26
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Concerning the controls, as people mentioned, first person view (F1), movement with keys and looking around with the mouse (with right-click) is the most comfortable way. I played a little of the single-player game a while back, so I got used to the controls in third-person, but the, uh, slow-turning camera makes it a bit weird at first (I usually walk around with keys and use the mouse only for interaction in TPP).

As for 'where is everybody', from what I know:
Spoiler:
By default, no one can come to your Rhelto (the 'home age') or the various puzzle-ages (like the Cleft, which you access at the beginning through the book outside of the Rhelto house, in the pillar, as well as other ages accessed through those outdoor pillars). Everybody has their 'instance' of those ages, so there's nobody in your 'instance'. You can invite people there if you want though.
Maybe you've been running around those, and that's why the game feels deserted.

The first 'community' age is Bevin (the only book inside the Rhelto house at the beginning). Bevins are 'neighborhoods', which are occupied by up to 20 people. So there's a boatload of these 'Bevins', and you can access them all through the 'Nexus'. You get to it via the book in your Bevin, there's this room with 2 doors, three books on the sides and one in the center. That's the Nexus one (after the first use you'll have a Nexus book in your Rhelto).

The few times I logged in there was nobody at my Bevin, but overall a bunch on the many others, so that's another reason why even this 'community' area might give the 'deserted' impression at the moment.

You'll find one Bevin called 'The Guild of Greeters Bevin', which is a good place to go if you want to ask for help. There's usually a bunch of people there both giving and seeking advice.

Finally, also through the Nexus you'll access the main community area, it's called 'The ferry' I think...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Stalker of Britain

I wanted to give this a try, but from the comments I'm hearing, it's not very enjoyable...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #28

I wouldn't let that stop you. It's very enjoyable when you're immersed in it. Give yourself a little time to get used to it. You're an explorer in a strange land. Things are not going to be served up on a silver platter but if you are observant it won't take long to figure out.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #29

WOW i've never played this. Myst here i go>
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #30

Just played a little for the 1st time. There were lots and lots of loading screens, and that was not fun. Controls are weird, and took me forever to figure out how to get out of the home world. First Age was completely empty, I was the only one there. Anyway, I really like the graphics of this age. I turned every setting on high and it looked very nice. But still I wish there were other people inside besides me. Maybe some of us who are new to the game can get together and play at night sometime...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
Just played a little for the 1st time. There were lots and lots of loading screens, and that was not fun. Controls are weird, and took me forever to figure out how to get out of the home world. First Age was completely empty, I was the only one there. Anyway, I really like the graphics of this age. I turned every setting on high and it looked very nice. But still I wish there were other people inside besides me. Maybe some of us who are new to the game can get together and play at night sometime...
lol, just like every single myst game.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #32
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
First Age was completely empty, I was the only one there. Anyway, I really like the graphics of this age. I turned every setting on high and it looked very nice. But still I wish there were other people inside besides me.
Look into the spoiler in my post for a little explanation on that (there's no story/puzzle spoilers there).

Last edited by MoP; 02-17-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
tsa
Playing character

On the home page they ask you to give money to keep the servers up. Would you do that?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
Easily amused

Playing Uru live has basically kept me from playing Casual games (that I pay for). The money I save I will donate.