You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst Online is up again - and it's free

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Myst Online is up again - and it's free

Check out their home page.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed Uru enough the first time, but seeing as it's free I may just give it another shot again. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

Although I'd like to know if Cyan have any other projects in the pipeline.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
MoP
Comfortably Numb

So it finally happened... being a big fan of the series, this is pretty darn awesome and pretty darn sad at the same time. I just hope Cyan can get it together someday to get back behind the steering wheel.

This does open great opportunity though, and the community is still strong. I'll have to stop by when I find the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I never played it, since I played the demo and wasn't impressed. But for free? I'm in.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #4

I'm also signing up now, but it looks like their server is down at the moment,
We should team up & play together later
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #5

Does this include Uru and the single player portion?

I'm trying to sign up but I haven't received their email yet, anyone else have the same problem?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Yep, from what I read on the forums it's all pretty clogged up at the moment. Server is down, and the sign-up/setting-up process takes a while.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Does this include Uru and the single player portion?
Ages/worlds and explorable areas are single player unless you choose to invite another player to your personal instance. Public areas and gathering areas are multi-player. So it's all just one game really, and both types of play are included in this download.

I am so excited about this! I've been an Uru fan from the start.

I registered my account, and I'm still waiting for my confirmation e-mail. If it doesn't come when the server is working again, I'll try a different e-mail account.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Stalker of Britain

Wow, I almost can't believe this. I wasn't around for the first time Uru went live, so I'm glad I'm here for it now.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Yep, from what I read on the forums it's all pretty clogged up at the moment. Server is down, and the sign-up/setting-up process takes a while.

I'm not surprised.

I remember trying to play it the first time it was live and it was constantly freezing because they couldn't handle everyone trying to get on and play at certain times of the day.

I think its awesome that its up again, but I hope they've worked out some of the glitches and bugs from last time.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Myst-loving person

Quote:
I think its awesome that its up again, but I hope they've worked out some of the glitches and bugs from last time.
I think that's unlikely to be tremendously improved, considering Cyan's current financial situation.

This is a free game now and has no mechanism for advertising revenue, so I don't think it's realistic to expect the same level of support as an MMORPG that is actually paid for or funded.

I hope eventually, Cyan can do more with the game, and I also hope that eventually there will be the opportunity for fan contributions, which will help a great deal on the fronts of both fixes and new content. But for now, I think we have to be realistic about the money going into the project versus how much output to expect.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Seems to be relatively stable at the moment, sign-up/set-up/log-in shouldn't be a problem. It can be a bit laggy at times though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potan View Post
We should team up & play together later
Anybody going to? Would be nice to share the 'first encounter' with fellow 'first encounter' AdventureGamers.

Last edited by MoP; 02-12-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
Life and times of...

How big is it to download? I'm so low on diskpace right now and I won't be able to play it much that I won't be downloading it if it's big until I'm sure I'll be able to play it more right then (although that might be so long that we can only hope it'll still be up)...

Always wanted to play it though.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
MoP
Comfortably Numb

The installer is 1,12 GB (the game itself after installation takes 2,4 GB).
Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Staff Member

I jumped into this earlier today for the first time, and I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing. Perhaps it's my ignorance of the Myst universe, but all I'm doing is going from location to location with no clear objective. There doesn't seem to be any in-game tutorial either. I get the impression this game would be fun, if only I knew where to go and what to do.

Plus the controls are pretty bad.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
I jumped into this earlier today for the first time, and I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing. Perhaps it's my ignorance of the Myst universe, but all I'm doing is going from location to location with no clear objective. There doesn't seem to be any in-game tutorial either. I get the impression this game would be fun, if only I knew where to go and what to do.
I feel the same way too. Here's my journey so far:
Starting the game was easy enough. There was one book in the bookshelf in the house, and one book in the container outside. I decided to use the link book that was outside. Went to the desert place. Watched projection of woman. Alright, I need to collect the hand prints throughout the land. Got help from trailer guy when I needed it. After I finished the objective of getting all the hand prints I open the stone door at the bottom of the tavern, collect the symbol on the paper, and am transferred back to my house. Now there are quite a few cylinder containers outside my house.
I use one of the books outside.
This one seems to be a "normal level" which has a swamp with metal walkways, mushroom growth, and a revolving sun. Wasn't able to solve the puzzles in this area so I went back to my house.
I tried the book in the house and it sent me to what I believe is a "community area" since it was wide, and expansive, and there were no objectives in site. There also seems to be a game table of some sort in one of the areas. I also found a balcony full of pedestals with books on them. I used one, which seemed to take me to another "community area".
This time a place full of cliff-side buildings and lots of stairs. Walked around in solitude for a while. Found a book along the path and used it.
Was linked to some small, dark, underground area with cogs. Seems to be no way out, so I used my linking book to go back to my house.
Now back at the house, I use yet another book outside. This, too seems to send me to another area of nothingness, a Library of sorts, I believe. Can't for the life of me see what I'm suppose to be doing.
Quit Game.

Throughout all this I also picked up some scraps of paper with green symbols on them. They added themselves to my book. When I go into my book I can highlight them or leave them dark. I don't understand what they are for.

Also, what exactly is the "online" part of this game? So far, I see "regular game areas" and "community areas" but I really don't see anything interesting to do in these community areas besides admiring the scenery, talking with people (if there ever is any) and using that one game table I found.

Update: Played a little more today. Used a book outside house. Went to level. Fell off cliff in level. (Really? That's a first!) Got transferred back to house. Now the containers outside my house won't open. I don't get it... Perhaps they're now stored INSIDE my house? Off to check. Yep. That's where it is now stored.

Last edited by Drawken; 02-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
M-E

Is it just me or do the controls suck a lot?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-E View Post
Is it just me or do the controls suck a lot?
The default controls, yes.
I was a able to come up with a configuration that I found suitable for me.
I changed "up, left, down, right" to "W,A,S,D" and press F1 to go into first person mode. So, it's now sort of like a FPS, accept you always have to hold down the right mouse button to maneuver the camera around. There's also no strafing from side to side. The side movement in the game is super slow, so it's best to use the mouse for turning in the direction you want to go.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

It's cool to see it up and running again. Honestly, though, back when they were running it on Gametap the most interesting part was the ongoing story that mainly unfolded on drcsite.org - the trouble was, all the actual events always happened during the workday (when Cyan was in-office), so it was next to impossible to follow for real.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
rebmeM roinuJ

Location: Purple Armchair, Hoveton, England, United Kingdom, Earth-2

Does anyone else think adding a Myst Online space to PlayStation Home is a good idea?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I know it's Myst and it's supposed to be obtuse but they make even the simplest things complicated here, I had to look online to find out how to get that KI bracelet thing just so I could actually use the online portion of the game. I have a feeling Cyan would make you solve an elaborate puzzle involving sliding tiles, sun dials and pulleys just to open the options menu if they could. The game is fun when you do manage to find some other people and explore the lands, but the confounding structure of the game really hurts its chances at finding any sort of mainstream success, unless its free, which was a good move on Cyan's part.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing