You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Aggies 2009: Official Discussion Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default The Aggies 2009: Official Discussion Thread

Yes, it's that time of year again!

After the success of last year's Aggie Award Presentation, we are proud to announce that the Aggies are back, and in better shape than ever!

Very soon we will unveil the official nominations for every category and in the meantime you can use this thread to speculate about which titles will make the cut, to support your favorite adventures and, when the time comes, to discuss our choices!

Don't forget that, like last year, the Readers' Choice will be back as well and, as such, you'll have a chance to tell us what was the best of the genre in 2009!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 02-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
The Quiet One

I was wondering if/when there was going to be an award ceremony.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Whohoo ! Lot's of stuff to vote for. Last year was a great year for AGs !
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior *female* member

Best Writing - Comedy: Tales of Monkey Island
Best Concept: The Path
Best Graphic Design: Machinarium
Best Music: Machinarium
Best Independent Adventure: Machinarium
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Wee. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #6

Hi folks! Here is the official list of this year's categories:

Best Story

Best Writing – Comedy

Best Writing – Drama

Best Gameplay

Best Concept

Best Setting

Best Graphic Design

Best Animation

Best Music

Best Voice Acting

Best Sound Design

Best Port/Enhanced Re-release

Best Casual Adventure

Best Independent Adventure

Best Console/Handheld Adventure (Exclusive)

Best First-Person PC Adventure

Best Third-Person PC Adventure

Best Adventure of 2009
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
LA-S-LE

Ah, too many nominations.. "Best Sound Design" - who pays attention to the sound? And, for an adventure game at least, "Best Concept", "Best Setting" and "Best Graphic Design" often means the same.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Stalker of Britain

That's not always the case, Ariel.

I know quite a few games where sound really adds to the atmosphere, and it would not be the same without it. Think of "Myst"...would it have been the same enchanting experience (for some people) without the sway of boards on the harbour (by the boat), or the metal clank of machinery?

Also, one can have a very original concept, but not have the best setting.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

I agree with Fantasy. Sound Design is a very important part of any gaming experience and - this is my opinion, mind you - especially when it comes to horror adventures, where it's often that carefully designed creak or squeal that send the proverbial chill down your spine.

And, Ariel, if you look to last year's Aggies, you'll see that Best Concept, Best Setting and Best Graphic Design are indeed extremely different categories, regardless of the genre.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Well, I won't vote since I've only played a single episode of Wallace & Gromit (Muzzled!) and only have other 2 Adventures released in 2009 that I could play before voting begins. But I'm looking forward to see who will win my favorite categories.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I know quite a few games where sound really adds to the atmosphere, and it would not be the same without it.
There are few games where sound plays an important role, but not enough for a separate nomination, especially today, when most of the games are made by the same standarts. There are no mysts, looms or else. I even can't think of any horror game with memorible sound. Music and voice acting - now this really matters.

As for Best Concept, Best Setting and Best Graphic Design - I can imagine differences in these nominations, but, again, they are hardly important for adventure genre. Today, at least. Though I'd like to see both Runaway and Machinarium in these categories)
Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
As for Best Concept, Best Setting and Best Graphic Design - I can imagine differences in these nominations, but, again, they are hardly important for adventure genre. Today, at least. Though I'd like to see both Runaway and Machinarium in these categories)
Interesting point of view. Which I violently disagree with.
The game concept of The Path is very innovative, but the dark woods are an obvious setting for the six little red riding hoods. The graphics in Machinarium are superb, but the game concept is traditional and does not stand out, even though there are no voices. IMO.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #13

OK, now the Official Aggie Nominations are out!

What have you to say about them? Sound off below!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Psychonaut

Meh!

What a dreadful year.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #15

I agree with Ariel Type. There are far too many categories. Since the genre gets more and more unpopular, less and less games are released each year and there's an award for one out of like... ten games.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #16

Actually, even if you don't want to count the casual adventures and the ports/updates, there were 50 titles.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #17

Like I mentioned on the article stating the nominations, I think the independant catagory really shows off how impressive the independant scene is. The three are, in my opinion, 3 of the year's best. I think it's great that a genre such as this is embracing the independant scene so well and seeing it grow so quickly. It just goes to show how many great minds and ideas are out there that are starting to find a platform to show them off. Can't wait to see what pops up in the independant world in 2010...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Senior *female* member

Pagoda lists 59 adventures for 2009, but includes casuals and episodes of Wallace and Gromit, and ToMI are counted as games.

59 minus 7 episodes minus at least 15 casuals = 33.

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/year.php?year=2009

I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it's a pity that The Path is not nominated in the category Best Concept.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

Pagoda's list is incomplete, then. As Andrea said, there are 50 even if you don't count casuals and only count TOMI and W&G as one game. Our list is right there on page 2.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I think it's great that a genre such as this is embracing the independant scene so well and seeing it grow so quickly. It just goes to show how many great minds and ideas are out there that are starting to find a platform to show them off. Can't wait to see what pops up in the independant world in 2010...
Ditto!