You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best adventure games on steam?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Best adventure games on steam?

Hey all I'm in the mood for a good adventure and the steam sales are almost over.

what are some of the better games at the moment? i was a big fan of stuff like broken sword series and black mirror.

thanks

edit: jack keane looks like it may be similar to broken sword style, any comment"?

edit2: never played monkey island. its over there for $5 at the moment. is it really actually good? i always tend to compare adventure games to broken sword 1.

Last edited by Niaboc; 01-02-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #2

ended up just buying monkey island and jack keane, $5bux each doesnt really matter if i dont like them
Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Junior Mint

Wallace & Gromit is still on sale for $10, and that's a pretty fun game series from Telltale. I've gone through the first two episodes so far, and each one took me roughly 3-4 hours to figure out.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #4

Recently got Jack Keane at a very low price on Steam, I'd suggest anyone who hasn't played it yet to give it a go (unfortunately now it's back to 9€, but discounts are rather frequent)
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #5

If you've never played the original Monkey Island games, you definitely need to. I like how you can switch back and forth between the original and the updated graphics in the new special editions.

Let me see what else is on Steam, at least the ones I've played...

The Clockwork Man games - Only if you are a fan of Big Fish hidden object style games. I really like em and they have demos on steam.

Syberia - If you've never tried that one it has a really good atmosphere but the consensus is split. Either you will love it or you will find it really boring. I love it.

The Longest Journey - Also a great game but it has lots of talking.

Dreamfall - Sequel to The Longest Journey. Only play it if you liked The Longest Journey. Good game but clunky 3d controls.

Still Life - Good game. Very dark and gritty which is what I love about it. Some bad voice acting though.

Machinarium - Fun game.

Scratches - Great first person adventure if you like those. Really scary. I loved the atmosphere. Lots of reading though if you wanna understand the whole story.

The Next Big Thing - I only actually played the demo of this. The graphics are really good but I didn't really like the characters all that much. You should try the demo though see if you like it.

All the Telltale games (Back to the Future, Sam & Max, Monkey Island) - If you like the Telltale games, they're on there.

Drawn: The Painted Tower - Also a good hidden object game.

Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World - I own this but I haven't actually played it yet though. My brother really liked it and it's a nice old school adventure. No voice acting though.

Lost Horizon - From the guys who made the Secret Files games. One of my favorite adventure games in recent years. You should definitely try this one.

The Whispered World - If you like Daedalic Games. Amazing graphics and atmosphere. I really liked it.

Jolly Rover - Great humorous old school pirate adventure game... if you don't mind all the characters being dogs lol. There is a demo as well.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Awesome first person adventure game if you're into Sherlock Holmes. With the remastered edition you can play in 3rd person as well but I found investigating the crime scenes a lot more immersive in first person.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper - Also a great game with interesting facts about the real Jack the Ripper case. Though go with The Awakened first.

Sherlock Holmes Nemesis - Again, play The Awakened first since that's the best of the new Sherlock Holmes games but if you enjoyed that one, you should look into Nemesis as well.

The Dig - An old Lucasarts adventure game if you missed it in the 90s. Great game, I love it.

Secret Files Tunguska - Great game. Old school point and click. Loved it.

Secret Files 2 Puritas Cordis - Also a great game. If you liked the original, get this as well.

Samorost 2 - Cute game and cheap. I like the atmosphere.

Emerald City Confidential - Gread noir atmosphere. Good game.

Ceville - Good fun adventure game. I really liked this one.

Ok well there are even more but those are just the ones I've played. I hope this helps.

Having said that, have you been to www.gog.com ? They also have a good classic adventure game catalogue which includes the Gabriel Knight series which, if you never played those, is a must. And they are completely DRM free as opposed to Steam so I actually rather support GoG whenever I can

EDIT: Oh... well I just realized the original post is over a year old... so I guess that was kinda pointless LOL.

Last edited by Schneckchen ^.^; 10-12-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
EDIT: Oh... well I just realized the original post is over a year old... so I guess that was kinda pointless LOL.
I haven't played too many of the newer (post-2000) adventures, so definitely helpful for me