You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure My girlfriend loved Machinarium... Now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #1

Default My girlfriend loved Machinarium... Now what?

She played Kings Quest 7 when she was younger.

Watched over my shoulder for a few minutes while I played Curse of Monkey Island.

But we both played through Machinarium together and had a blast so now we're looking for something new.

Here is what she is looking for in an adventure game:

1) Good graphics (I know, I know). I tried to get her to play Kings Quest 6 but she couldn't get into it due to how "blurry" it was. She wants crisp, clean, high quality graphics. COMI style, Machinarium style. Whatever.

2) More puzzles less talking. She liked what she saw of Monkey Island, but thought that there was TOO much talking. (I know, I know). Basically we need something that has a lot of puzzles, but not a lot of talking to this person and that person and clicking through pages of dialog options.

3) A good mix of puzzles. Machinarium had inventory puzzles as well as Myst style puzzles. I prefer the inventory type, but the occasional Myst style would be OK as long as it plays fair.

4) Doesn't take itself all to seriously. Therefore something very approachable and slightly lighter in tone, though not trying too hard for laughs the whole time.

Whew. OK. I really appreciate it you adventure experts.

No TOMI please. I already played it. Also,I'm sure someone will recommend Samorost, which I AM thinking about, but I'd like other options as well.

Last edited by indyjones2131; 12-14-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior *female* member

Nice, crisp graphics. No talking. Interesting puzzles. Lighthearted but not trying too hard for laughs all the time.

Hmmm....

Only one game comes to mind and a great game it is: The Neverhood!

Oh, and Samorost 1 and 2.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
I changed my title

Any Kheops game. Especially Voyage since it's the least serious of them and the most rewarding. The first half hour or so is full of timed sequences (but there is no penalty for failing) which can get very annoying.
Return to Mysterious Island was also fun, but it's very short and the puzzles get ridiculous near the end.

Older games:
Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Great puzzles, fun humour. Lots of dialogue, though I think most of it is optional.

Torin's Passage - I only watched a playthrough, but it seems to have the right mix of puzzles and dialogue. It's for younger players, though, so the plot and humor aren't very good and the puzzles are pretty easy.

Free games:
Haluz 1&2 are in the style of Samarost, and Haluz 2 is even pretty long:
http://www.haluz.eu/1/
http://www.haluz2.net/
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

What about a Hidden Object? I just finished Return to Ravenhearst and really liked it. Not too big either. Little bit on the scary side, but not too much.

No talk what so ever. Just some ghosts that are greatful that you set them free, and that is always nice.

By the way, I was thinking of buying Machinarium, is it good (even if you don't have an enthusiastic girlfriend to play it with)?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

Machinarium, in my opinion, is worth the money. It's one of the most charming games I've played and the puzzles (though occasionally odd) make sense in the context of the world. You never have to worry about getting stuck so you are free to play with the world and its characters which often results in more charming animations, etc. The puzzles range from Myst-like to more traditional inventory types and many are quite clever.

Also, thanks for the suggestions so far. Hidden Object games are fun and all, but I'm looking for a true adventure game. I'm still leaning toward Samarost, but I really like inventory puzzles... My girlfriend would not appreciate the charms of LSL7 unfortunately and would be turned off by the space setting of Voyage (I am too for that matter).

What can y'all tell me about Neverhood? Where to get it? Quality of puzzles?

Also, are there any 1st person games that fit the bill?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

How about the Professor Layton games? A bit casual perhaps (and no inventory at all), but good production values, high on and varied in puzzles and a nice not-too-serious story to go along with it.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #7

Well of course any of Jonathan Boakes and matt Clarks games (Dark Fall 1-3, The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill) but they are not exactly cheerful...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Senior *female* member

AG has reviewed The Neverhood and gave it 4.5 stars out of 5. It has become rare and rather expensive, unless you get lucky on ebay. But if you like inventory puzzles so much, you really should try Return to Mysterious Island. Fun game. There's a demo somewhere on the Internet, try it before you buy it.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #9

Indyjones, as Harald B said, get the Professor Layton games. Judging from your description your gf has a very similar taste to my ex. If that is so, I can guarantee you that those games are going to be tons of fun. We enjoyed Curious Village (the first Layton game) immensely. Now I'm in the middle of girlfriends so I have Diabolical Box on hold.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 AM   #10

Marry her.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #11

i would definately second "Return to Mysterious Island" the first one (it seems to fit all your points, if you are ok with myst style 3rd person click to switch scene games) and potentially "return to ravenhearst" if you like hidden object games (its IS a ghost story, but sort of a lets cuddle up around the fireplace at christmas time and read a family ghost story type of atmosphere). i can see you already fighting with your g/f over who will spot the next "hidden object" it has a good amount of adventuring as well. try the demo for both games.

another good option personally i think would be "sherlock holmes: the awakened" it seems to fit everything you're looking for except for the lighter tone. its sort of a grim tale. "sherlock holmes nemesis/vs arsene lupin" is lighter in tone, but has more myst style puzzles, and less inventory puzzles. you can try demos for these as well.

i personally did NOT enjoy the professor layton games. i would have preferred saving my money and looking up all the riddles in that game on a free internet puzzle page.

Last edited by tastebud; 12-17-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
i personally did NOT enjoy the professor layton games. i would have preferred saving my money and looking up all the riddles in that game on a free internet puzzle page.
If you seriously think finding the riddles on a free internet puzzle page is the same thing, then I think you might have a bit of trouble getting into a casual gamer state of mind. What you're omitting is the importance of presentation, which is very important to a lot of casual and female gamers. Professor Layton has that in droves, and it makes playing it wonderfully pleasant.

In my opinion the Professor Layton series fills up all four requirements in the original post perfectly. Only problem is that it's on DS, but we found playing together on a sofa taking turns in working with a stylus was quite a lot of fun in the end.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #13

I second the Professor Layton + ladyfriend notion. Works well.

A waste of money?! *gasp* I'm sad that we have to be so far behind in the sequel/prequel translations.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Random

Hmm, you should try tipping point adventure games. It's a browser point and click game but it's very good, no talking and interesting puzzles. Check it out:

http://www.tippingpointgame.com/

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #15

Day of the Tentacle isn't really "blurry" as it kept the design simple and avoided overcrowding the game with pixels. It's also one of the most puzzle-rich adventure games LucasArts ever made, imo.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #16

I really really like The lost crown, it has some dialoge but I don't think to much. Some of the puzzles involve using ghost hunting gadgits which was definetly refreshing and something new. It is the scariest pc adventure game I have ever played and I suggest you check it out.

Its pretty cheap on like amazon
Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #17

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Any others?

Maybe we could sacrifice the lighter tone and just focus on Inventory Puzzles and LITTLE to no dialog.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131 View Post
Good suggestions. Thanks.

Any others?

Maybe we could sacrifice the lighter tone and just focus on Inventory Puzzles and LITTLE to no dialog.
i dont think you can do much better with inventory puzzles as the already mentioned Return to Mysterious Island (first one). you LITERALLY have a lot of inventory combining to do. lol play the demos! and tell us what u think
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #19

I recommend Nancy Drew. This is an excellent series! I am always amazed how much I liked these games after playing. The puzzles are so much fun! There are always some brain-crackers where you have to pull switches and such, of course the unavoidable inventory puzzle and one or two mini-games. You don't have to read through pages of conversation, most conversations are very functional. There is always some nice atmosphere in these games, probably due to the sounds and music scores. Okay, the graphics aren't cutting edge and you don't have a 360 view, but all is forgotten because of the excellent game play.
There are a handful ND's for download from Big Fish Games for only $6.99, if you don't mind the DRM. Also Steam has a few.

I think Riven is also a contender. Most beautiful graphics and very challenging puzzles. No talking, but there is some reading to be done. One of the best AG's ever!

Last edited by nonax; 12-22-2009 at 11:37 AM.