You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Fall Trilogy - New game from Kheops Studio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Default The Fall Trilogy - New game from Kheops Studio

There's a heated debate going on for some time between some of us regarding the expanding share casual games are taking within the adventure market, and I find it interesting to witness and participate in such discussions. But we're not alone to observe the many changes the market is going through; obviously, game developers are at the forefront of what's in the cards for the months or years to come.

One of my favorite developers, Kheops Studio, is apparently taking a cue on the situation, as they've just announced their newest game. It's called The Fall Trilogy and it's a casual puzzler. Having had great commercial success with 2006's Safecracker, it seems Kheops was ready to experiment a bit further.

Two features currently grab my attention:
  • The ability to switch between regular slideshow navigation and 360 degree panning (this panning being a staple of Kheops games, but quite a rarity in casual titles);
  • Their engine has finally been updated to support widescreen resolutions (according to the product sheet).

Screenshots and videos can be found on their website. It sure looks beautiful, but I'd be also interested in learning about Kheops' future adventure game projects.

I know there are many Kheops fans on this forum, so I was curious to read your thoughts.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Banned User

Widescreen display for a casual game? This is heresy! Unless its just the typical "Stretch Prevention" feature. :/
Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

A few weeks ago I read in another forum that Kheops was planning another Safecracker-like game, but were having problems finding a publisher to help fund production. I think this is how they're getting around the problem of not finding a publisher. They're dividing the game into three episodes and selling them separately through casual game portals. The money they make from the first episode will fund the subsequent episode. This is probably the only way they are able to make the game at all.

Unfortunately this will probably mean that at least two of the episodes will have a "to be continued" type of ending.

Once the game is complete, a disc version may be made available containing all three parts, but that will probably depend on sales of the casual version.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Widescreen display for a casual game? This is heresy! Unless its just the typical "Stretch Prevention" feature.
Yeah, I was gladly surprised about that. In the video previews they put up, the aspect ratio appears to be 16:10 (small pillarboxing occurs inside the YouTube window).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
A few weeks ago I read in another forum that Kheops was planning another Safecracker-like game, but were having problems finding a publisher to help fund production. They're dividing the game into three episodes and selling them separately through casual game portals.
I didn't know about that. It's a shame they had trouble finding a publisher, but I'm glad they were able to arrange self-publishing somehow. In fact, for the time being the first episode is only available for purchase on Kheops' own store, in French, and as a $20 collector's version bundled with a strategy guide. But seeing how the almost entirety of Kheops' catalog is now on Big Fish, I assume The Fall Trilogy will eventually sneak in there as well.