You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Favourite Cinematic Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #21

The opera scene from Gabriel Knight 2 has got to be one of, if not the most, cinematic moment in adventure game history. That whole game has so many exceptional moments.

I'm also very partial to several scenes from Gabriel Knight 3, such as the intro, and the ending, and the well-crafted explanation given by one of the mysterious supporting characters toward the end. All excellent stuff that made me forget I was watching 3D graphics.

The intro to King's Quest VI was also a big step forward, and I remember being quite amazed at that level of graphical sophistication at the time.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Ok, I'll be the weirdo who mentions Adrienne's head getting split open in Phantasmagoria, lol.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #23

I'll join in with the crystal ball ride from Exile. Hated the game though.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #24
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

What's so special about the roller-coaster ride in Exile's Amateria? I never figured out why so many people like it that much. Even traveling between islands on Riven seems much more impressive to me, but I still wouldn't call those traveling from A to B animations a cinematic achievement.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #25
Senior *female* member

Well, for one thing the surprise element. You've been around the island many times, you've solved all those puzzles and suddenly you're taken on a trip where everything comes together.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #26
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Well, for one thing the surprise element. You've been around the island many times, you've solved all those puzzles and suddenly you're taken on a trip where everything comes together.
Exactly!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #27
Senior *female* member

And what's more, Ascovel, it's not just a roller coaster ride, it's a ride inside a pinball machine.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #28
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Hmm... I think I read about the cutscene being in the game before actually playing the game, so there was no surprise for me.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
The Opera scene in The Beast Within
this game had many memorable scenes, the opera one was amazing but any scene with Van Glower was memorable.

My favourite scenes in GK2 was Grace acting over the top with Gerde and Gabriel getting a freebie from Van Glower
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
this game had many memorable scenes, the opera one was amazing but any scene with Van Glower was memorable.
I vividly second that!

Peter J. Lucas is amazing!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #31

I agree with so many on here -- hands down, the opera scene from GKII. Second, the transition scene from Year 1 to Year 2 in Grim Fandango. So atmospheric (ahhh ... the birth of Rubacava).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezcrafti View Post
Ok, I'll be the weirdo who mentions Adrienne's head getting split open in Phantasmagoria, lol.
This would be third. Not only does it build up so much suspense and terror, but it forces you to interact with it. Quite possible the most intense scene out there. That, and the chase/escaping the assassin scene early in Urban Runner (a game that is sooo underrated!).
Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #32
The Quiet One

A cutscene I forgot to mention in Gabriel Knight 1 was Gabriel's dream at Schloss Ritter with the dragon. I love the dragon's voice and that menacing music that plays.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #33

The scary cinematics in Scratches, especially when
Spoiler:
you see the 'monster' in the boiler.
Gives me goosebumps even when I think about it!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #34
YAZ
Junior french member

My favorite cinematic is the end of the Syberia (1 & 2) games. Simply wonderful !!
After this two games, I wonder how could be a third Syberia game ...
(sorry for my awful english, I do my best but I still feel being a french cow dreaming talking Shakespeare's language >_<")
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #35

No one's mentioned the Tex Murphy series yet, so I'd like to add the introduction to Pandora Directive. Well-directed and moody. There are a few more from that game I love. Also I haven't finished the "good guy path" so I expect there'll be gems I haven't even seen yet.

I'm probably not putting this as my favourite though; more like another addition to the hall of fame list consisting of many others already mentioned.

I thought a bit more on it and decided that Curse of Monkey Island's intro is my all-time favourite. Mostly because I really like the game and had looked forward to it. Ironically, it also features one of the worst cinematics in history. You know what I'm talking about. Technically, it might not be that horrible, it just doesn't stand up to the standards of the rest of the game.

Some more: Opera scene in Syberia, death scene in Phantasmagoria, Amateria ride from Myst III.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I see many I like as well, but nobody has yet mentioned the intro of "The Dig": the discovery of the asteroid, the shuttle launch, then it almost seamlessly turns into gameplay. Many great cinematics in "The Dig", actually.
I wanted to agree with so many, but this one maybe more so. This game oozed with cinematic greatness. Can't quickly forget that unique use of a jaw bone either...

I'll jump on the bandwagon for MI3 intro (but what's the cutscene that was so bad...?) as well as the intro for Broken Sword.

For some reason, talking cutscenes always brings me straight to MI3 and the sail to Blood Island. Though not my favourite, it really was such a great reward for the efforts to get there.

EDIT: and meeting that old woman in the park in GK - did that not creep the hell out of anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
The scary cinematics in Scratches, especially when
Spoiler:
you see the 'monster' in the boiler.
Gives me goosebumps even when I think about it!
Ah yes, and this one! Sorry for the multiple edits but this one I have to agree with. And not to mention,
Spoiler:
the dream with the native in the doorway with the mask - my god...

Last edited by Sughly; 10-02-2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: forgot the old woman :)
Old 10-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I'll jump on the bandwagon for MI3 intro (but what's the cutscene that was so bad...?)
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I meant the closure. It's not that it's bad, it just feels incomplete. It was painful to see it end that way when the rest of the game was so awesome.

I'd like to place a vote on the Neverhood too (someone already mentioned it). And while Big Robot Bill vs. Clockwork Beast is probably the best scene, I also love the (proper) ending. Beautiful!

Bad Mojo wasn't a great game, but was it atmospheric or what? I won't nominate the introduction because of the laughable performances of the actors, but the moth ride was so cool! These two are probably my favourite games style-wise.

And sorry if I'm derailing the topic. I know we were supposed to pick a favourite, but I can't. I'm just a sucker for good cinematics.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #38
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
I'd like to place a vote on the Neverhood too (someone already mentioned it). And while Big Robot Bill vs. Clockwork Beast is probably the best scene, I also love the (proper) ending. Beautiful!
Yes.

Quote:
Bad Mojo wasn't a great game, but was it atmospheric or what? I won't nominate the introduction because of the laughable performances of the actors, but the moth ride was so cool! These two are probably my favourite games style-wise.
I think Bad Mojo was a great game with a unique concept and I love the introduction, over-the-top acting and all. The music, the voice of Roger talking about what he's going to do, then zooming in through the window, the landlord, locket/lock-it, the great scene where Roger turns into a cockroach... it's the perfect way to set the stage, pique the players' interest and tell them what they need to know.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #39
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I think Bad Mojo was a great game with a unique concept and I love the introduction, over-the-top acting and all. The music, the voice of Roger talking about what he's going to do, then zooming in through the window, the landlord, locket/lock-it, the great scene where Roger turns into a cockroach... it's the perfect way to set the stage, pique the players' interest and tell them what they need to know.
Hrm, I've got Bad Mojo on hold but perhaps I should give it another go. I started playing it and I was totally lost in what to do and how to control the roach I lost interest pretty fast.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #40
Senior *female* member

Well, it may not be your type of game, no matter how much I rave about it. Many people find the environment kind of disgusting and in spite of the unique concept it is not considered a classic must-play.

I didn't like the keyboard controls, took me a long time to get used to them. There's a lot of exploring to do, it's easy to overlook areas, and one early puzzle (timed) was very frustrating, I failed and failed. But once you're past the first few problems, the game gets more interesting. I found it great fun to solve problems without an inventory, just your wits and your tiny body. "Look mum, no hands!"