You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Favourite Cinematic Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #41

Rats, now I'm far off-topic but I would really like to clarify this. I didn't really type what I meant. I love Bad Mojo, but I know many people don't. The concept is really cool, but the idea was to tell the story in tiny bits that would all come together at the end. But instead, they gave away so many clues that everything was more or less clear after the first "chapter". That's my major gripe and something tells me it's a reason why many people don't like it so much. I could be completely and utterly wrong, though.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #42

Regarding Scratches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
And not to mention,
Spoiler:
the dream with the native in the doorway with the mask - my god...
Oh yes. But...
Spoiler:
Was that a native in the doorway? I played the game twice and to me it looked like it was just the cursed mask, just kind of... hovering there, right in front of you... which for me made it quite a bit scarier!
But yep, good stuff, especially since there really wasn't anything particularly noteworthy as far as scares go beforehand, just a general tense creepiness vibe here and there... and then BAM!
Spoiler:
I think the brilliance of that scene with the mask is that the way the dream is presented is different from before. The previous night's "dream sequence" had a surreal effect with the camera slowly zooming in on each screen (plus the weird, ambient audio design gave it away that "this is only a dream") — on this night, the developers do away with the effect entirely, which led me to believe that all that was real until Michael actually wakes up. Good god indeed!

Also, the ending cinematic was pretty intense... quite frightening.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #43

Broken Sword 1 - Intro "Paris in the fall..."
Shenmue - Intro + Motorbike scene with Nozomi + Ending
Shenmue II - Rooftop helicopter scene with...
Spoiler:
Do Niu & LanDi
+ Ending
Fahrenheit -
Spoiler:
Room collapsing
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms View Post
Oh yes. But...
Spoiler:
Was that a native in the doorway? I played the game twice and to me it looked like it was just the cursed mask, just kind of... hovering there, right in front of you... which for me made it quite a bit scarier!

Also, the ending cinematic was pretty intense... quite frightening.
Hmm... could be right about the mask, but maybe your brightness was down? I could've sworn there was someone there... eh it's been a while for me though

And yes, I really didn't want to go in that room at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I meant the closure. It's not that it's bad, it just feels incomplete. It was painful to see it end that way when the rest of the game was so awesome.
Ah yes, quite true
Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #45

Here's a video I found of the scene in question in Scratches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73X-v...om=PL&index=25

The video is quite dark, so it's hard to say...

Spoiler:
But the person in the video says that the mask is floating as well so that's my best guess.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #46

Getting the Talisman from the wheel within a wheel in GK1 is pretty sweet.

"You're gonna pay for this Tetelo, you bitch!"

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms View Post
The video is quite dark, so it's hard to say...

Spoiler:
But the person in the video says that the mask is floating as well so that's my best guess.
Mmmm I see, seems like you're right. But I still WANT to be right, it was scarier in my head before...

Spoiler:
I'm gonna be petty and point out that you should be able to see some of the door in the background if it was floating?

Haha, I really want it to be how I remembered dammit! And you can't trust someone who spells 'coincidence' as 'coencidence'
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #48

Heh heh, indeed. But you have a point. On the one hand, as it is, there's a very supernatural spookiness to it...

Spoiler:
... in a "what the hell is going on" kind of way (and also incredibly frightening), considering it's been grounded in realism up to that point, but your viewing of the scene potentially is scarier... I mean, if you follow the diaries that detail the history of the mask and the natives who worship it, you know that the tribe is one scary band of pure evil. If one of those fellows were to show up at your home to reclaim the mask.... I admit it lacks the "evil magical mask" spookiness of it just floating there, but damn, that would be scary.

Makes me wish that they had gone that route now, actually!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #49

I have a couple of favorites:

(1) The Experiment (Experience 112) Final Scene:

After a long and laborious process in playing it, I found this scene to be incredibly emotional and intriguing. The combination of voice over, cinematics, and intense music just made it incredibly effective for me.

(2) Still Life Intro:

It catches you and draws you it... very artsy.

(3) Evidence: The Last Ritual:

I loved every single scene in it... they're so incredibly interesting and play out like a short film. Absolutely fantastic! I'd love to see Lexis Numerique continue making this style of game.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:33 AM   #50

I absolutely love the intro to the Blade Runner game. It captures the mood and atmosphere of the movie and does an excellent job in setting up the world and its characters for the player.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #51

Oh yeah, I forgot one!

I really like the finale to the X-Files game. Almost all of those cut-scenes are really good, but the finale is especially thrilling.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #52

I just remembered one: the idol snatching scene from Raiders in Sam & Max Hit the Road.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #53
Adventure Game Veteran

got to be that Glottis scene from Grim Fandango
and
the ending of Sam & Max (which I used to dislike) lol at America there
Old 10-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #54

I really dug the parody of Lethal Weapon 3 that opens Discworld II which is basically adventure gaming eating itself.

There's a few in Full Throttle that are really cool but I'll put it down to the ending as my favourite scene.

More recently, I really liked the ending to Ace Attorney: Justice for All which plays out like the ending to most Japanese video games, showing snippets from the game you just played, but the final scene in the airport was just good storytelling.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #55
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
I really dug the parody of Lethal Weapon 3 that opens Discworld II which is basically adventure gaming eating itself.
That's not a parody. It's a rip-off.

I used to like that intro. Then I saw the movie. It's identical, except that the movie does it much better. It's one of the things that lowered my opinion of DW2 quite a bit.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
There's a few in Full Throttle that are really cool but I'll put it down to the ending as my favourite scene.[/URL].
Ah of course, have to second this one. Man, it's been a while, I should revisit it.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #57

Send a message via MSN to Ewan

I haven't played nearly as much adventure games as you lot but I do have an ok experience with them (most being Lucasarts games) I have 2 favourites.

There's one from Full Throttle when the cavefish are doing their thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmOh9H0ejgY

The other one of my favourites is just plain silly. It's the part in The Secret of Monkey Island when you see a detailed close up of the navigators head which is aat first disgusting but then hilarious when he smiles at you and one of the cannibals says something like "Oh, look. I think he likes you!"
Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
That's not a parody. It's a rip-off.

I used to like that intro. Then I saw the movie. It's identical, except that the movie does it much better. It's one of the things that lowered my opinion of DW2 quite a bit.
Post-modernism, meet my friend Trumgottist.

N'ah, I see what you're saying... but a lot of the comments like "Well the animation budget has gone up at least" and how that will mean there will be less difficult puzzles because of poorer writing was a pretty dead on target joke made on action films like Lethal Weapon 3 so I had to see it as somewhat of a parody.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post

Broken Sword 1 - introduction
Barrington Pheloung's musical score was tremendous.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #60
Adventure Game Researcher

The opening dream seqence from The Longest Journey
The opening set up scene from Kyrandia I - to this day one of my favorite magical land set ups
The movie of the train arriving at the University city in Syberia I
The maglev ride in Riven
The longest vid from a game is the 18 minute long one from Independence War I, and is a remarkable work of artistry.
The opening of Loom, still love that.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs