You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Shortlisted DS games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Roman5

Default Shortlisted DS games

I got bought a nice shiny black DS lite for a present for my birthday in may, but have hardly used it yet. It came with super mario donkey kong (which is fun now and again but it's only a predictable platformer) and a fairly boring brain trainer game. I have £20 left to spend as the remainder of an HMV gift voucher. I just looked through all the adventure games at HMV and there are a few recommended here that they don't have, such as apollo justice and hotel dusk. Here's the ones I'm considering that they stock, and tbh, CSI appears to be the only one with mature looking graphics and gameplay. Thoughts?

CSI
Professor layton
Mystery case files

Dementium: The Ward ( not sure about this one, action adventure)
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;41&sku=883275

Flower Sun & Rain ( oh, just read on amazon, apparently awful graphics and game)
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;41&sku=819182

Nancy Drew: The Mystery Of The Clue Bender Society (graphics look a bit crap)

Unsolved Crimes

If memory serves, I think there might have been a sherlock holmes game when I was last there.

Last edited by Roman5; 07-09-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Roman5

Lol, I should have read up a bit more before posting. I've made my mind up, it's gonna be professor layton. It's the highest rated adventure/puzzle game I've seen reviewed on gamespot and amazon, people can't speak highly enough of it, and it's certainly right up my street. Kind of like a mini safecracker game, full of puzzles. Shame HMV are going to make me add £7 on top of my gift voucher
for this title, pity I couldn't go for one of the sub £20 games. Oh well. Mind you, they do sell used DS games there as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #3

Hotel Dusk is the best adventure I know of for it. It's a great game, and I'm replaying it now. It should be your first priority.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Roman5

Yeah, but I only wanna buy with my hmv voucher, so I'm hoping they have a second hand copy of it as it doesn't seem to be listed on their website. But anyway, the idea of loads of puzzles appeals to me, so professor layton seems to fit the bill there. I only pick up the DS now and then so it's a game that could last me a while as it apparently has over 130 puzzles.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
professional recluse

Professor Layton is great! If it's puzzles you want, this game is great for them. In addition, it's got fantastically charming graphics and presentation--it's a definite winner.

I also cannot sing the praises of the Phoenix Wright series loudly enough. You might definitely want to check them out sometime in the future--they were the most fun I've had playing an adventure game in the last five years or so. Great characters, really clever dialogue puzzles, engrossing stories, and such a sense of satisfaction when a case is gotten through. Oh, I love them, and do hope you'll consider the series.
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons... or turquoises... especially when they put their heads in their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they DIE...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Roman5

I just got back from HMV. They had 3 previously played copies of professor layton, only £3 less than a brand new copy, AND............... they had a previously played copy of hotel dusk! Well, it was a hard decision based on the recommendation here that hotel dusk should be my first priority.

I bought professor layton.

I'm off to germany with my band thursday through sunday, so it'll get some play time for sure. Yeah, I really wanted more puzzles than anything so I think I made the right choice.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5 View Post
I just got back from HMV. They had 3 previously played copies of professor layton, only £3 less than a brand new copy, AND............... they had a previously played copy of hotel dusk! Well, it was a hard decision based on the recommendation here that hotel dusk should be my first priority.

I bought professor layton.

I'm off to germany with my band thursday through sunday, so it'll get some play time for sure. Yeah, I really wanted more puzzles than anything so I think I made the right choice.
Yeah, if you want lots of puzzles instead of a great story you have certainly made the right choice
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
Yeah, if you want lots of puzzles instead of a great story you have certainly made the right choice

I certainly did! I just played through the first 3 puzzles, this game is brilliant!

I couldn't have picked better, this is right up my street. Lovely graphics, and nice cute nintendo style music which gives me a lovely sense of nostagia, eg, reminiscent of the music in zelda games.

The only pity is that after the intro and the first puzzle, the voices disappear and it becomes text only. No big deal but I like the voices. I guess they have to compromise because of limited storage space on the card. Anyway, I'm going to really enjoy this game.