You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why are there more adventure games on PC than consoles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #1

Default Why are there more adventure games on PC than consoles

I had a look at the release dates for adventure games [in Australia] for PC, ps2, ps3, and there are about 36ish being relaesed this year on PC and about 5 for both ps2 and ps3. Why is this so [hehe professor].
Old 06-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Because it costs more money for developers to make games for Consoles because of Dev Kits, thats one of the reasons I know of.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Kung Fu Code Poet

You'll find the same of Strategy games, both real time and turn based. Also sim games and management games tend to be mostly PC. It's almost as if publishers are reluctant to give console gamers anything that requires thought.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

So to sum up: people with consoles are stupid and developers of AGs are stingy.

It is very simple.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

Console gamers get a bad rap. I swear developers must think they are all adrenaline crazed action junkies with a taste for violence. The fact that games like 'Hotel Dusk' and 'Pheonix Wright' were sucesses must have come as a shock.

OK, so the DS is a hand-held rather than a console. Still, 'And Then There Were None" is coming to Wii. I'm hoping that many more will follow. The Nintento DS will also have Tanguska, Pheonix Wright 3, and Sinking Island. I love my DS
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Tanguska is also coming to wii.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Tanguska is also coming to wii.
Sweet! I just might have to get a Wii after all.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #8

Might it also be that a lot of adventure games are point and click and they're easier to play and make on PC with the mouse and DS with the stylus, rather than trying to implement all the controls onto a controller which would just end up being an awkward way of playing.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Probably like Dasilva mentioned, cost is the problem, especially when prior adventure games that were brought to the consoles like Still Life, Syberia or Dreamfall didn't sell too well.

Firefox rules
Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Might it also be that a lot of adventure games are point and click and they're easier to play and make on PC with the mouse and DS with the stylus, rather than trying to implement all the controls onto a controller which would just end up being an awkward way of playing.
I don't think control is the issue. RTS'es are also point and click and even worse than adventures, they need very fast user reaction time. When publishers saw how much money they are making on the PC, they found a way to start bringing them to the consoles. Trust me, if a lot of adventure developers start making games that sell millions, they will find a way to bring them over there.

Firefox rules
Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #11

I have a ps2 as well as my PC, and was excitted to see a couple of AG that look good coming to ps2 sam suede -lost-harvey birdman. Also on ps3 [too expensive for me] scribe, heavy rain, LA Noire and lost.So the console people are making an effort.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #12

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester View Post
So to sum up: people with consoles are stupid and developers of AGs are stingy.
I don't think the guy who said that PCs are better for games that 'require thought' actually meant that console owners are stupid.

RTS (command and conquer) and Micro Management (The Sims) games require a speed versatility of control that only a keyboard and mouse can offer (yeah, you can hit buttons on a joy pad faster than a keyboard but an analogue stick or D-pad won't move as fast as a tab-key or mouse cursor).

When others said that it's more expensive to produce games for consoles it's not because makers are stingy; it's because the adventure game market is not as popular as it once was and developers have enough of a hard time finding funds for them on PC alone.

So, basically, it's not that console owners are stupid but that those games that do tend to require more brain function (be it in the form of tactical strategy or micro management or in the form of puzzles) are just better suited to the PC.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Controller/Command setup could be one of the reasons. After all, you might as well ask why are there more beat em ups and wrestling games on consoles than PC's.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Adventure Dude =]

When I think of adventure I think point and click or in some cases, keyboard. While I have never tried an adventure game on a console I think using a controller would be downright weird.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Console gamers get a bad rap. I swear developers must think they are all adrenaline crazed action junkies with a taste for violence. The fact that games like 'Hotel Dusk' and 'Pheonix Wright' were sucesses must have come as a shock.

OK, so the DS is a hand-held rather than a console. Still, 'And Then There Were None" is coming to Wii. I'm hoping that many more will follow. The Nintento DS will also have Tanguska, Pheonix Wright 3, and Sinking Island. I love my DS
Not to mention games like Prof Layton, or KOTOR and Mass Effect (both of which have deep storylines that vastly outshine just about every adventure game ever made...), or Shenmue, or any of numerous other games that aren't for "stupid" gamers.

Plus I find it funny that someone wants to claim console gamers are stupid when the only things keeping PC gaming alive are WOW, Sims, and the occasional big budget FPS....we're not exactly talking about games that require massive intellect now are we? And in the case of WOW we're talking about a game that literally destroys people's abilities to interact as functional, social beings outside of a game world. Add to that the fact that Activision has literally shelved all of Sierra's classic adventure games, considering them worthless, simply so they could acquire WOW. The idea that PC gamers are a smarter, more refined, demographic is simply not true at all.

That aside, it's obviously due to the lack of licensing fees with PC games (most adventure devs being very small teams) and the fact that the genre emerged on PCs so that's where it's most "at home". There really isn't much more to it...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #16

Heavy Rain!!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
Adventure Dude =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasenity View Post
Heavy Rain!!!!!
To bad it's not for PC. Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to port it over.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Regarding the point and click, it is awkward. I remember playing the demo of Discworld 2 on the Playstation and found it awkward. As far as I'm aware, only one console ever tried a keyboard and that was the Dreamcast but there wasn't much support for it. The Playstation might have had one but I'm not sure, though it did certainly have a mouse available at one point.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
Banned User

Developers need to understand that the x360 controller can be connected to the PC and play just like the console version, if not better.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #20
Schattenger

Adventure Games on Console does not sell. That´s the main point and that is why Syberia 3 is having problems on being developed for PS3.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2