You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Future Classic Adventure Games Via Digital Distribution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Future Classic Adventure Games Via Digital Distribution

Like many others I've been totally psyched to see LucasArts re-release some of their catalogue and it only got me thinking what other companies and their catalogue what you like to see re-released via Steam or other methods. I find using DosBox such a hassle so this would be great for me as I find it depressing not to be able to play favourite games when I would like to. I apologize if this has been brought up before.

I'd love to see Sierra's catalogue such as Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within and Willy Beamish. I never got a chance to play either Willy or Phantasmagoria so this method would be perfect for me.

Other games would be

Activision - Return To Zork
MicroProse - Return of the Phantom, Star Trek: TNG: A Final Unity

Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Not sure of the company but have been wanting to play this ever since I heard about it.

What games would you like to see re-released?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

There are a lot of games that I'd love to see find a bigger audience like Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Normality and The Dark Eye so it'd be great to see those show up on something like Good Old Games.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to cristane

I'm sticking with Lucas Arts. I'd love to get Maniac Mansion & DOTT, and of course Full Throttle.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
There are a lot of games that I'd love to see find a bigger audience like Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Normality and The Dark Eye so it'd be great to see those show up on something like Good Old Games.
I forgot about Callahan's and Normality. I've never heard of Dark Eye. I just remembered another Sierra's Shivers.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #5

Riddle of master Lu was a pretty nice game which I had a lot of trouble making it work.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
The Quiet One

All the LucasArts and Gabriel Knight games for me.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior *female* member

Well, at gog.com there's a list of "games you'd love to see at GOG". Click on community. All the ones mentioned are already there. You can vote and add new games. You may have to register first, I don't know, I've already bought 3 games.

The top ten "most voted by community" are shown as well. The top four are non-adventures, followed by Secret of Monkey Island (4266 votes), Monkey Island 2 (4060), Curse of MI (3953), Full Throttle (3434), Indiana Jones FoA (2938).

Go vote!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Elegantly copy+pasted

Amber: Journeys Beyond has been notoriously impossible to run on XP (though a fan-made installer may have resolved that problem recently), so I'd like to see that.

I'm also looking forward to Tex Murphy: Overseer very much, since that's the only Tex Murphy game I haven't played.

It would be nice to see a patched re-release of Discworld Noir. That was pretty buggy last time I tried to play it.

Oh, and that version of The Journeyman Project that was only released for Macs, Pegasus Prime! I'd like to see that.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Caffein Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
I'm also looking forward to Tex Murphy: Overseer very much, since that's the only Tex Murphy game I haven't played.
The whole Tex Myrphy series is actually on GOG.com - except for Overseer, which will come as soon as they have figured out how to use the DVD version

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Oh, and that version of The Journeyman Project that was only released for Macs, Pegasus Prime! I'd like to see that.
Sadly thats not as simple as porting a dos game to modern PC's. lol You would have to recode everything. Then again, myself and presto studios are still striving to make it a reality.

A couple of more games that need to be rereleased.

Albion, Realms of the Haunting, Lands of Lore, and practically the whole Sierra Catalogue.

One thing GOG can't do is release the whole catalogue in a pack and sell it for Half price....like the ID software package sold as a weekend deal on steam. I really want to buy all of Lucasarts games.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Lands of Lore I wouldn't count as an adventure but a first person RPG/dungeon crawl (I know they aren't all dungeons) but 1 was a damned good game. If I remember right Patrick Stewart had a voice part in it as the King.

I can't really remember much of Lands of Lore 2, was there one, I'm practically sure there was but my memory may be failing me.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
Lands of Lore I wouldn't count as an adventure but a first person RPG/dungeon crawl (I know they aren't all dungeons) but 1 was a damned good game. If I remember right Patrick Stewart had a voice part in it as the King.

I can't really remember much of Lands of Lore 2, was there one, I'm practically sure there was but my memory may be failing me.
Well I'd considered Lands of Lore 2 and 3 adventure/rpg games.

*jog your memory* http://www.mobygames.com/game/lands-...ny/screenshots
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #13

If lucasart's steam sales are high I bet other companies will follow. I'd bet Sierra games would come first.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #14

I'd love to see all the old Sierra games, but the way Vivendi (now owned by Activision or whatever) mishandled the release in 2006 of the Quest series, I don't see any commitment or desire for them to invest anything in those old games. Especially not now with Activision being in charge.

Sierra is long, long gone

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Well I'd considered Lands of Lore 2 and 3 adventure/rpg games.

*jog your memory* http://www.mobygames.com/game/lands-...ny/screenshots
Well in my mind, adventure is Monkey Island etc, RPG is stuff like the old Gold Box games, Lands of Lore, Planescape etc, but never mind, that's how I see it. There are some games that blur definitions now.

Lands of Lore 2....it looks familiar, but I still don't really have much memory of the thing so I can't be sure if I played it or now.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #16

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Back on topic;

Personally I think all games are going to gravitate towards online distribution, eventually. Many companies that deal in products which are primarily information want to do away with having "hard copies" and not deal publishing costs (publishing of any product, don’t assume i mean books ), shelf space, storage, packaging, etc.

The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't continue putting more adventure games on Steam (or some other online distribution network) is because of a lack of consumer interest.

Sadly, with a lot of classic titles already freely available online there's a good chance of it. Many players mightn't download Loom or The Dig if they've already downloaded it freely [when it was OK to do so], especially during a recession. Some people will even continue to download these games, because (unfortunately) you can't stop them.

Even Banks want to get rid 'hard products (money). Many banks actually want to do away with money (ie, coins and notes) because not only are there printing and storage costs for it but they have to have extra security, too.

More and more developers are realising that having a hard copy of a game, any game, is by no means of a preventative measure against piracy and are therefore looking at online distribution with far more serious intent than they ever previously had.

This might even spell out the death of console gaming, eventually, unless they make it possible to more easily back up downloaded games.

(Before anybody asks, I am interested to see how well OnLive performs but I'm still hugely sceptical; people have claimed they've discovered how to 'overcome' lag issues but never really managed it).

Last edited by Marduk; 07-10-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Personally I think all games are going to gravitate towards online distribution, eventually. Many companies that deal in products which are primarily information want to do away with having "hard copies" and not deal publishing costs (publishing of any product, don’t assume i mean books ), shelf space, storage, packaging, etc.

Sadly, with a lot of classic titles already freely available online there's a good chance of it. Many players mightn't download Loom or The Dig if they've already downloaded it freely [when it was OK to do so], especially during a recession. Some people will even continue to download these games, because (unfortunately) you can't stop them.
People will download legally when it costs less overall than it does to download something illegally. This calculus involves not just money, but also time and reliability. Even if I have a download of the Dig, for instance, it'll take a fair bit of effort and time to get it working on modern systems, so I'll pay the $4.99 for it. That's worth less than my time. On the other hand, if I have a choice between a retail game with onerous copy protection that increase installation/loading time or a pirated DRM-stripped version, the latter has all the advantages. It costs less AND is easier to play.

I also see add-on/mod content changing this calculus. People will pay for legitimate copies of games if they see a viable future in doing so, for instance, if it gives them access to professional-caliber add-on content (ala Rock Band/Guitar Hero or Fallout 3), or if it grants them access to mod tools and a mod community (e.g. Half-Life/Team Fortress).
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #18

I'm maybe old fashioned, but I prefer to have a physical copy of the game.

However, I am for supporting sites like GOG.com where the digital download is at least bringing us old games that have otherwise become a lot rarer.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #19

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

I think the biggest drawback of downloading a game is the lack of a physical manual. I like to refer to a manual as I play (if I need to, that is) and you can't do that if you have to alt+tab to see it.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
I'm maybe old fashioned, but I prefer to have a physical copy of the game.

However, I am for supporting sites like GOG.com where the digital download is at least bringing us old games that have otherwise become a lot rarer.
Thats like saying you prefer the old brick of a cell phone over today's cells. Same concept, different design.