You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games with movement systems like D? And some questions about First Person.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Default Adventure games with movement systems like D? And some questions about First Person.

I've been around here for a little while now, but all my adventure gaming exploits have been of the classic (pre-2000) variety or modern titles that use a classic view/3rd person interface (Sam & Max/Syberia/Still Life/etc). In the last few weeks I've decided to jump into the modern first person adventures and I've been going through a series of demos to find out what I like and what to buy. I started with Barrow Hill...which seemed intriguing but the demo was incredibly short and I wasn't particularly impressed with the slide-show styling of the game. I then tried Darkness Within and Scratches, both of which seemed more like true 3D adventures; less like "slide shows" if I properly understand the usage of that term as it applies to adventures. I also just started tinkering with the a Last Half of Darkness demo, and while certainly dated, I liked the occasional animated sequences as your character moves in a manner similar to the FMV adventure game D. So my questions are...

...what other games should I look at given that I've especially liked Scratches, Darkness Within, and Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened?

...are there adventure games that have cinematic-styled movement systems like D (and it's pseudo-sequel Enemy Zero) that you would recommend I check out? I don't necessarily mean FMV game (though feel free to recommend those), but rather adventure games when you actually "see" the movement from area to area.

...why do many of these games (or at least the demos) seem to run in low resolution? For example Scratches runs in 800X600, and looks really grainy and washed out. Which seems odd for a PC game from 2006. I can hit the windows button once the game is launched and manually reset my desktop back to a higher resolution which will cause Scratches to run less than full screen but look much better...but then I'm playing in a corner of the screen with detracts from the ambiance. Do the full versions of these games tend to offer better display options? And if not, why are they so low res?

...and lastly, is it accurate to say that a game like Barrow Hill is a slide show? I don't mean this derogatorily, I mean it merely in a descriptive manner. And what are the better slide-show style games?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

I haven't played D and I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're looking for. You mean sliding from node to node? The Blackstone Chronicles does that and you can even turn it off, which leaves you with a slide-show type of movement. Another example is the Journeyman Project 3, and I think 2 as well. They're sci-fi games, not very "dark".

Two of my personal favorites are Temujin and Dark Side of the Moon, by the same developer. But you'd better read a couple of reviews first to get an idea what you're letting yourself in for. The navigation of Temujin takes some getting used to, and the amount disc-swapping in Dark Side of the Moon is really terrible, unless you can get hold of the DVD version.

That's all I can think of, but there must be many others.

PS: I forgot Black Dahlia
Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

I tried watching D but it was hard to tell what was actually gameplay and what was cutscenes. Very much like Torico.

You don't get many like D because having every movement animated in pre-rendered graphics cost serious money and time.

One game that did do this was Reah.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I haven't played D and I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're looking for. You mean sliding from node to node? The Blackstone Chronicles does that and you can even turn it off, which leaves you with a slide-show type of movement. Another example is the Journeyman Project 3, and I think 2 as well. They're sci-fi games, not very "dark".

Two of my personal favorites are Temujin and Dark Side of the Moon, by the same developer. But you'd better read a couple of reviews first to get an idea what you're letting yourself in for. The navigation of Temujin takes some getting used to, and the amount disc-swapping in Dark Side of the Moon is really terrible, unless you can get hold of the DVD version.

That's all I can think of, but there must be many others.

PS: I forgot Black Dahlia
Thanks for the suggestions I will look into these. It's not that I'm looking specifically for games like D (which are basically FMV adventure movie/game hybrids) but I noticed that some of the first person games I've recently tried would have occasional sequences where moving from point A to point B actually included moving, not just a change of slides. I'm looking for more of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I tried watching D but it was hard to tell what was actually gameplay and what was cutscenes. Very much like Torico.

You don't get many like D because having every movement animated in pre-rendered graphics cost serious money and time.

One game that did do this was Reah.
Agreed. D was kind of a microcosm of what was going on tech wise at the time. I'm familiar with all the console games that are similar (D2, Enemy Zero, Torico/Lunacy, Mansion of Hidden Souls, etc). I'm not expecting something like it, rather I've noticed a distinct lack of animation in first person games that are ten years or more after D...which seems a little odd. I will look into Reah. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
It's not that I'm looking specifically for games like D (which are basically FMV adventure movie/game hybrids) but I noticed that some of the first person games I've recently tried would have occasional sequences where moving from point A to point B actually included moving, not just a change of slides. I'm looking for more of that...
Maybe Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon and Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive.
Traitors Gate showed your movement as you moved between nodes, but you weren't able to roam freely like in a modern real time 3D game.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Yeah, Reah. And later adventures by the same people: Schizm: Mysterious Journey; Mysterious Journey 2: Chameleon; Sentinel.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on my other questions?

...why do many of these games (or at least the demos) seem to run in low resolution? For example Scratches runs in 800X600, and looks really grainy and washed out. Which seems odd for a PC game from 2006. I can hit the windows button once the game is launched and manually reset my desktop back to a higher resolution which will cause Scratches to run less than full screen but look much better...but then I'm playing in a corner of the screen with detracts from the ambiance. Do the full versions of these games tend to offer better display options? And if not, why are they so low res?

...and lastly, is it accurate to say that a game like Barrow Hill is a slide show? I don't mean this derogatorily, I mean it merely in a descriptive manner. And what are the better slide-show style games?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #8

A very guilty part of me always enjoyed (in this genre) the 7th guest .
Old 07-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #9

Ah.
D. Brings back good memories. But what I remember is that the game moved very slow. Still a good game though.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Yes, it is. Slide-show presentaition simply means that you move directly from one view to the next when moving without any intermediate animation.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree