You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2 stupid questions about ScummVM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #41
Dismembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
Then why not just call it what it is? Don't beat around the bush with your pseudo language. Just take the 30 seconds and type headings over the downloads.
Well, now you know what a release binary is. There was a time you didn't know what an exe was either but you learned.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #42
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
It isn't good web design to clutter up a page with lots of extra headers.
where would be the clutter?? all you have to do is:

ScummVM for Linux:
link1
link2
ScummVM for Windows:
link1
link2
Old 03-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #43
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Eh? You don't use installers on linux. You use a packaging system instead.
Yes, that's correct of course. This leads to the conclusion that only Linux users who don't use Windows think there is such a thing as an installer. Because Linux doesn't have installers they think Windows must have something strange called an installer... Mystery solved!

Last edited by deadworm222; 03-18-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #44
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

1. There are already headers (Notice those things saying "Release binaries", "Tools", "Source code", etc.?).

2. The link contain all needed information. What more than "Windows installer" do you need (the change i might think of here is to call it "self extracting archive" instead of installer)?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #45
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Yes, that's correct of course. This leads to the conclusion that only Linux users who don't use Windows think there is such a thing as an installer. Because Linux doesn't have installers they think Windows must have something strange called an installer... Mystery solved!
What? I think this thread has confused me about twenty times more than the download page itself. Are you saying that Windows doesn't have Installers? do you know what an Installer is? Was that total sarcasm and I missed it? I'm very very confused at this point.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #46
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
2. The link contain all needed information. What more than "Windows installer" do you need (the change i might think of here is to call it "self extracting archive" instead of installer)?
Oh man, that's even more confusing.

I find it a bit funny that this issue has produced such a long thread, but I think the ScummVM download page has changed for the better now. At the risk of joining in the whine-fest and attracting a bit of Ender-rage[tm], I'd move the "apt-get... Debian unstable" thing to the bottom of the download list (no need to start with a confusing statement!) and possibly change "...really are not sure what you are doing" to "want to get started quickly" or something - no need to insult your adoring fans.

Also, not a major thing, but I couldn't help noticing that all the README files for the free games have UNIX line-endings - and sadly in Windows, they open in Notepad which in typical Microsoft style displays them all messed-up. Seems like a shame (especially as no such problems exist when the situation is reversed) and probably makes the free game releases seem a bit unprofessional and confusing for Windows users who don't understand why it happens, sadly...
Old 03-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #47
Under pressure.

Just to add something positive: I found the right download link immediately, no problems at all, when I first downloaded ScummVM a few months back.

--Erwin
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #48
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
What? I think this thread has confused me about twenty times more than the download page itself. Are you saying that Windows doesn't have Installers? do you know what an Installer is? Was that total sarcasm and I missed it? I'm very very confused at this point.
Indeed. I was a Windows user for quite a long time, and a Litestep developer among other things.

You want to download Winzip, Acrobat Reader, BitTorrent, Nero.. any major application.

You go to the webpage page and you download the installer. It's called the installer. Ditto for installing anything - you want to install Office you run the Microsoft Office Installer. Its the common term on Windows, so I do not see why people insist it isn't and they can't recognise the word!

(As somebody else said about adding headings. It would look like this:

Windows Downloads
- two links
Linux Downloads
- three or four links
Solaris Downloads
- one link
PocketPC downloads
- one link
MorphOS downloads
- one link
blah blah blah

That would go on forever. Its clutter, annoying, and I do not see any need for it...
)
Old 03-19-2004, 01:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
The average Windows user doesn't know - or is afraid of - the word "binary distribution". I'd suggest putting a link that says "Download latest Windows Version of ScummVM", and a small "other" -link that would point to the other files. *slightly kidding*
Ha..ha.. we should put "source distribution" and a link to gcc with a note saying (must be compiled in UNIX environment).
Old 03-19-2004, 01:42 AM   #50
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender
Indeed. I was a Windows user for quite a long time, and a Litestep developer among other things.

You want to download Winzip, Acrobat Reader, BitTorrent, Nero.. any major application.

You go to the webpage page and you download the installer. It's called the installer. Ditto for installing anything - you want to install Office you run the Microsoft Office Installer. Its the common term on Windows, so I do not see why people insist it isn't and they can't recognise the word!

(As somebody else said about adding headings. It would look like this:

Windows Downloads
- two links
Linux Downloads
- three or four links
Solaris Downloads
- one link
PocketPC downloads
- one link
MorphOS downloads
- one link
blah blah blah

That would go on forever. Its clutter, annoying, and I do not see any need for it...
)
If you set it out well it would look beautiful.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:59 AM   #51

Since most people use windows, I think it's safe to say that other platforms' users are more experienced and should find the links they need.
Now for the "dumb" windows users, why not put a link to the windows download of the latest stable version on the main page?
Like a huge DOWNLOAD SCUMMVM (for windows users)...
That's what most other sites do... Then again, these other sites don't have something as awesome as scummvm to offer.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:54 AM   #52
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Since most people use windows, I think it's safe to say that other platforms' users are more experienced and should find the links they need.
Now for the "dumb" windows users, why not put a link to the windows download of the latest stable version on the main page?
Like a huge DOWNLOAD SCUMMVM (for windows users)...
That's what most other sites do... Then again, these other sites don't have something as awesome as scummvm to offer.
I really think its pointless arguing when the webmaster fails to see it from a surfers pov.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
I really think its pointless arguing when the webmaster fails to see it from a surfers pov.
I don't think that it's what he does, and I'm in favour of pointless arguing anyway .
Old 03-19-2004, 03:56 AM   #54
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
But seriously, I keep getting this complaint. I reorganised the page two days ago and even added instructions, but people still arn't getting it... WHY?
Maybe they're just a bit dumb

I was being ironic, but seriously, they must GET IT SOME TIME, true?

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 03-19-2004, 05:55 AM   #55
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
Edit: I realised you're from Perth too. You from North or South of the river?
Quote:
As for North or South, North. I live in Nedlands and work in Leederville. Yourself?
At the risk of turning this into a chit chat thread (as if it hasn't become one already ):

Holy crap! Two more Perth-ites. Didn't think there'd be too many on these forums. Feel a bit less isolated all of a sudden.

I live in Carlisle myself (right next to East Vic Park in case you don't know).

Ender, I just downloaded ScummVM a couple of days ago. Kicks ass, man! Nice work. It's like Sam n Max have had a shower, put on some clean clothes and thrown on a bit of make up just so I can enjoy my gaming a bit more. Beautiful! Cool homepage too (not the ScummVM one, the hotlink in your public profile) - pleased to see your opinion on country and western music

And, for what it's worth (and in a dismal attempt to return to the topic), I'm a dumb ass Windows pleb and I managed to find the right file.

Enjoy the scorching weekend fellas

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 03-19-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 AM   #56
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
[
Ender, I just downloaded ScummVM a couple of days ago. Kicks ass, man! Nice work. It's like Sam n Max have had a shower, put on some clean clothes and thrown on a bit of make up just so I can enjoy my gaming a bit more. Beautiful! Cool homepage too (not the ScummVM one, the hotlink in your public profile) - pleased to see your opinion on country and western music

Enjoy the scorching weekend fellas
Thanks! Glad you like it (both ScummVM and my site *grins*)

Ugh, this weekend will be deadly. Not looking forward to Monday either, still havn't convinced the boss to shell out for decent aircon (downside to working in a heritage-listed building, we're not allowed to drill holes ).

We are getting a lot of perthies in here. I'm actually really happy to see that a few people around here know about ScummVM!

Oh yeah. On-topic. Um. Never mind, it's a bit pointless by now
Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 AM   #57
Squeaky

Quote:
Cool homepage too (not the ScummVM one, the hotlink in your public profile)
Uh, don't think this reads properly. By the above, I wasn't implying that the ScummVM one wasn't cool... Doesn't look like you interpreted it that way anyway.

Perth: poised to take over the world.

Oh, and it probably doesn't matter that you don't have air con. Even if you did, Western Power wouldn't let you use it.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #58
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Uh, don't think this reads properly. By the above, I wasn't implying that the ScummVM one wasn't cool... Doesn't look like you interpreted it that way anyway.

Perth: poised to take over the world.

Oh, and it probably doesn't matter that you don't have air con. Even if you did, Western Power wouldn't let you use it.

No, I didn't take it that way. I know what you were getting at

As for WP.. ugh, true.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #59
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
It tried to be a lame joke and it didn't even succeed.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:00 AM   #60
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

So, when are you gonna give up this foolish SCUMMVM idea and start work on SCIVM?

what? ¬_¬