You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Do old classics turn bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
Squeaky

Default Do old classics turn bad?

I don't think this subject has been covered in a previous (at least recent) thread - had a quick review but couldn't find anything.

Just wondering if anyone has replayed an adventure that they once loved only to find that it's turned stale? I've been playing a few of my old faves recently - Full Throttle, DOTT, Myst, Riven, Myst 3 (OK that's not so old), Bioforge - and I'm in the middle of replaying Sam & Max Hit the Road. I've got a few more replays on my list (Grim, the MI series, and maybe some Tex Murphy) but so far everything has been just as good as I remember it being the first time around.

I know AG's are reknowned for their timeless appeal and long lifespan, so is there anyone out there that's dusted off one of their old favourites, reinstalled it, and been seriously (or even slightly) disappointed?
Old 03-13-2004, 04:11 AM   #2
Mourning Sam & Max 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
I know AG's are reknowned for their timeless appeal and long lifespan, so is there anyone out there that's dusted off one of their old favourites, reinstalled it, and been seriously (or even slightly) disappointed?
Nay... Recently played through DOTT all over again, and I'm very, very satisfied. And with ScummVM and the HQx3 filter, it didn't even look pixelated anymore In my opinion, adventure games never get old (well, unless you remember all of the puzzles and stuff). I'll just wait a few years between each time I play through a game
Old 03-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #3

The ones I enjoyed don't seem to turn bad.
But sometimes I play some old classics that I didn't play when they first came out and I don't like them.
I don't mind dated graphics so much, but sometimes old control systems can be very clumsy.
KQ3 for example - if it had stuck with text for movement as well as actions, it wouldn't have been so bad. But the keyboard control was clumsy and I kept getting caught on things, like the stairway. And I was playing on a P100. It's probably worse on newer computers.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:41 PM   #4

Default Classic Games.

This is going to be off-topic, but I recently tried to play Deus Ex recently, and for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I uninstalled it after I played a few missions in the game. I think it's because it's either looking quite dated, or it's just not as fun as I remember it.

But, for adventure games, I have a hankering to play Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight 3, The Longest Journey, and both of my Tex Murphy games all over again! I have both The Pandora Directive, and Overseer.

Also, has anyone ever played Faust: The Seven Games of the Soul? I haven't played it for a very long time, and I'm wondering if it's any good.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I played DOTT recently and was shocked to realize the game is even greater than I anticipated it being. Then I played Willy Beamish and was shocked to see it was junk.

In conclusion, if it is a classic and Lucas Arts, it still rocks, if it is a classic and Sierra it blows.

Two exceptions that prove the rule are CMI and GK1.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
LA-S-LE

"Do old classics turn bad?"
Hell, no!
Old 03-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #7

I just finished replaying DOTT last night and the only disappointing thing about it was that it seemed shorter.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

"Do old classics turn bad?" - only if you leave them out in the sun to wrinkle and grow old. witness diane keaton

*miaow*
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

I replayed GK2 a few months ago, and I was disappointed. The last time I had played it was sometime during high school (I'm a sophomore in college now). I didn't realize just how bad some of the acting really was. That, and after playing GK1 and 3, it just doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the series. I mean, no Mosely, Gabe is totally different in 2 than he is in 1 and 3, and Grace is a total bitch in GK2. I still think 2's story is the best of the three, but it's implementation left something to be desired. Also, I didn't realize just how bad video compression was in those days. Imagine if they had used Divx or something for the videos, that would've been sweet.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack

Also, has anyone ever played Faust: The Seven Games of the Soul? I haven't played it for a very long time, and I'm wondering if it's any good.
Faust is an excellent game.Amazing story and puzzles-Highly recommended-Go for it.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
Consulting Detective

Nah, didnt have any problems with old classics. I recently replayed Fate of Atlantis and Sam and Max, thanks to ScummVM!

I also replayed Larry 6 and Maniac Mansion 1. Last month I played Zak McKracken and Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 2 for the first time.

In the next months, I will probably replay all the Monkey Island series, specially the Monkey Madness collection I bought recently. DOTT is on my list of replaying, too.

If you think old games can turn bad, maybe you will find this article interesting:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=178
Old 03-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
Liver of Life

It won't be called 'bad' if it ever got called Classic. Just like the Count of Monte Criso will probably never be called 'bad', just because it's classic.

But then, games and books are incomparable what with all the new stuff, graphics and sound-wise happening for games. I don't see any inherent changes in the books of today compared with the books of old (except for language).
Old 03-13-2004, 10:49 PM   #13
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
I played DOTT recently and was shocked to realize the game is even greater than I anticipated it being. Then I played Willy Beamish and was shocked to see it was junk.

In conclusion, if it is a classic and Lucas Arts, it still rocks, if it is a classic and Sierra it blows.

Two exceptions that prove the rule are CMI and GK1.
Are you mad? CMI is awsome
Old 03-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #14
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Souza
If you think old games can turn bad, maybe you will find this article interesting:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=178
Interesting. Still, my memory has yet to deceive me - I'm yet to find an AG that I remember being good that actually wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
I just finished replaying DOTT last night and the only disappointing thing about it was that it seemed shorter.
Amen to that. That felt so short on replay. The first time through DOTT was the longest I've ever taken to complete an AG. Might've had something to do with the fact that it was the first one I tackled without any help though. Except, that is for Devil(s?) Domain on the BBC Micro when I was a wee tacker back in the mid 80s but I'm not sure if that counts. Hey, does anyone remember the BBC micro?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:32 AM   #15

It took ages for me to complete the first time, but yesterday it took about 6 to 8 hours.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:09 AM   #16
Schattenjaeger wannabe

To me, with films and with games, its not a "classic" if it gets old. A true classic stands the test of time, by definition, basically.

That said, I think there are many games that are called classics, like most of the KQ games (6 excluded), that really aren't all that great.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #17

Agreed.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #18
delusions of adequacy

I was wrapped in Under a Killing Moon the first time through, Sci-Fi meets Phillip Marlowe. A new computer to play it on, wow what a game. I totally overlooked as much of the hammy acting as I could and ended up loving the game to bits. Many years later I was asked to donate some old games to a friend of my mom's. I played through some of the oldies to decide what I could live without and ended up giving away what has now become an absolute classic (Original box release) All because I was laughing or cringing at the hammy acting so much that last time through that I just couldn't get into the story once more.

I just hope it was as much fun for whoever got it and played it their first time. Enough that they became as much or more of a fan of the series as me. I've given away too many adventure games, outright gifts or loans that never made it back. I haven't got my DOTT original box set with cd's and floppies anymore. Nor my Fate of atlantis 3.5 and 5 1/4 diskettes box set, no more CMI, or Grim Fandango. I think Stan has it right, neither a borrower nor a lender be.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #19
Rookie Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
No way,
I played Willy Beamish again recently after years and its still a great game IMO.

Ok, very difficult and stupidly unforgiving,
but still good I think.

I regularly replay my old Sierra games and still enjoy them loads,
especially the old PQ games.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #20
Banned User

A true classic ages gracefully and gets even better with repeated playing.

Of course, this definition applies only if you're not of the "disposable culture" mindset. It drives me nuts to read people writing about "beating" a game in so-and-so many hours... That's great, guys. As long as you don't mind the fact that you have missed the whole point of playing these things.

On a less inflammatory note, I'd like to drop the name of what is, for me, the classic adventure game series above all others: Gabriel Knight.

The three titles - collectively and individually - represent some of the most satisfying interactive storytelling so far seen, which is why there's been a GK on my hard drive ever since the GK1 Day One demo came out. It doesn't look like I'll be getting bored of this saga anytime soon. In fact, I completed the third just now - for the Nth time, of course - then dabbled with the second for a bit, and am currently considering whether to start replaying the first or get some sleep for a change.

Ah, thank goodness there is Project Jane-J to look forward to... I'll stop rambling now.

www.adventurecompanion.com