You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2 stupid questions about ScummVM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
Dr Uberman

Default 2 stupid questions about ScummVM

1. I'm trying to get ScummVM Ver 0.6.0 but I can't seem to find an executable or anything to download from ScummVM's download page anywhere. Can anyone help?

2. I downloaded the talky ver of FOTAQ, and when I unzipped it I only got 2 files:

readme.txt and
queen.1c

How the hell am I supposed to open a .1c file? The readme tells me nothing.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Dessert

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...2.exe?download

scummvm will open that 1c file.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
Dr Uberman

2 birds with one stone... thanks.

They should make the exe more prominent IMO.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
2 birds with one stone... thanks.

They should make the exe more prominent IMO.
How exactly is it not prominent? What would you suggest, apart from perhaps a bit of flash shining a 400 pixel arrow on the Windows link?

But seriously, I keep getting this complaint. I reorganised the page two days ago and even added instructions, but people still arn't getting it... WHY?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

The average Windows user doesn't know - or is afraid of - the word "binary distribution". I'd suggest putting a link that says "Download latest Windows Version of ScummVM", and a small "other" -link that would point to the other files. *slightly kidding*
Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
I'd suggest putting a link that says "Download latest Windows Version of ScummVM",
That does sound more user friendly.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender
How exactly is it not prominent? What would you suggest, apart from perhaps a bit of flash shining a 400 pixel arrow on the Windows link?

But seriously, I keep getting this complaint. I reorganised the page two days ago and even added instructions, but people still arn't getting it... WHY?
Sorry, but for the average user, what's the point of having the latest binary libraries with a nice bold heading, when the majority of users are just looking for the standard executable, so they can run the damn program? No point in hiding the thing since it's you can't run anything else without it.

Edit: I realised you're from Perth too. You from North or South of the river?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
The average Windows user doesn't know - or is afraid of - the word "binary distribution". I'd suggest putting a link that says "Download latest Windows Version of ScummVM", and a small "other" -link that would point to the other files. *slightly kidding*
*points to the page*
But for the past two days it states quite clearly "Download the latest STABLE release of ScummVM below", followed a few lines later by "Windows Installer"... Which is the first download link.

But putting at the top, adding a blurb explaning (with the big word 'STABLE' in capitals to prevent confusion with the development stuff which is now at the bottom of the page).... all this seems to have just increased the number of people who can't find the file. *crys*

It's driving me nuts. I just want somebody who couldn't find it to tell me why. I'm sure there is a reason, but I just really don't see how people can miss it.

Oh, and although I know you were (slightly?) kidding, as for the 'other' thing... everybody should keep in mind that there are really only two Windows people active on the ScummVM team. Everybody else runs Linux or SOME kind of unix...

So for the majority of the team, 'Windows' is the other
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

You really should put a friendly one or two sentence description beneath each section header instead of (or in addition to) something general at the top of the page

That or include respective icons/OS/system logos next to the links to the ScummVm binaries for each platform.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 03-17-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Sorry, but for the average user, what's the point of having the latest binary libraries with a nice bold heading, when the majority of users are just looking for the standard executable, so they can run the damn program? No point in hiding the thing since it's you can't run anything else without it.

Edit: I realised you're from Perth too. You from North or South of the river?
Ah, so you were looking on Monday then? I moved the developmental stuff to the bottom of the page after lunch on Monday... I thought you were having problems with the page the way it is now.

As for North or South, North. I live in Nedlands and work in Leederville. Yourself?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #11
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
You really should put a friendly one or two sentence description beneath each section header instead of (or in addition to) something general at the top of the page
Wouldn't it be logical to give the most important file on the page a heading of its own, instead of bunched together with a zillion other files under the heading 0.6.0 Release binaries? Why would an average user, in their right mind, look under that heading? I don't care about some binary library, I just want the damn executable! You gotta think like the lowest common denominator, a mistake 99% of programmers fail to realise when creating user support documents etc. Not all users have as much knowledge as you do! Just coming from a user-friendly point of view.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #12
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Ah, so you were looking on Monday then? I moved the developmental stuff to the bottom of the page after lunch on Monday... I thought you were having problems with the page the way it is now.

As for North or South, North. I live in Nedlands and work in Leederville. Yourself?
Actually, I was looking Wednesday Perth time. I live in Marmion but I go to University in Nedlands. What do you do?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Wouldn't it be logical to give the most important file on the page a heading of its own, instead of bunched together with a zillion other files under the heading 0.6.0 Release binaries?
Well, we really don't consider the Windows binary to be the most important file heh. In fact, to us, the most important is probably the source-code. But it is the first downloadable file on the page, at the very top of the first section.

Maybe it needs a name different from "Windows Installer"?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #14
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Well, we really don't consider the Windows binary to be the most important file heh. In fact, to us, the most important is probably the source-code. But it is the first downloadable file on the page, at the very top of the first section.

Maybe it needs a name different from "Windows Installer"?
No, I think it's fine, just needs to stand out more. I found it too easy to skip over, being the file which lets you operate the program you are promoting/offering. All I'm saying is it needs to stand out better, having it's own heading, a little blurb telling users what the files does (need only be a short sentence of less than 10 words), being in bold, or something different altogether, since all other files for downloading are useless without it.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #15
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Actually, I was looking Wednesday Perth time. I live in Marmion but I go to University in Nedlands. What do you do?
The usual Perth geek thing. Worked at iiNet as a Systems Administrator for a while until I got sacked, and now I work as a part-time Systems Administrator for Headquarters (the skate park opposite the Leederville train station).

Marmion... There's a marine park up there, isn't there? Always meant to go there.

I'm from Tassie originally, no jokes *g*. Moved to Perth at the end of Year 12, the whole student thing bored me too much. So I guess I've been here for a bit over 4 years now)

As for the file, I guess I'll put it in bold. It certainly doesn't deserve its own heading tho.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #16
Dr Uberman

Quote:
As for the file, I guess I'll put it in bold. It certainly doesn't deserve its own heading tho.
You don't think so? You gotta think from a dumb users POV like me.

It's the most essential file on the page IMO. Everything else is useless without it.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #17
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

its all about the icons. i may, however be biased in favor of icons because they are fun to make

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #18
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
You don't think so? You gotta think from a dumb users POV like me.

It's the most essential file on the page IMO. Everything else is useless without it.
For dumb WINDOWS users, yes.. but what about dumb Mac users? Everybody denies it, but there has to be one or two out there, surely *ducks Jake*

Anyway.. I hated to do it,but how about now?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #19
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
So for the majority of the team, 'Windows' is the other
But I bet that the majority of the traffic on your site is windows users. From looking at the site I don't have issues finding the download. However the line that says "If you run Windows and really are not sure what you are doing", I don't feel is necessary. Just section out the downloads with headings of the OS it's for. Not that difficult.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:13 AM   #20
Witty Comment Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
But I bet that the majority of the traffic on your site is windows users. From looking at the site I don't have issues finding the download. However the line that says "If you run Windows and really are not sure what you are doing", I don't feel is necessary. Just section out the downloads with headings of the OS it's for. Not that difficult.
That's the line I just added. It appears to be necessary, and I really don't want to section the page out any further.