You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What happened to the english release of Mozart - The Last Secret?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #1

Default What happened to the english release of Mozart - The Last Secret?

I know it has been released in French, but what about the english release? I was so looking forward to playing that game...
Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Chicken with a bite

Don't (look forward, that is). It has been released in Dutch too, and I had the "pleasure" of playing both an English preview version and the final version which was in English but with Dutch subtitles. It's awful. Full of bugs, it has terrible mini-games and only three different puzzles which keep being repeated. Also, it has plot holes and illogical choices.

Best to forget about this game...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

Here´s one review:

http://forums.techarena.in/reviews/1065943.htm
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
... the final version which was in English but with Dutch subtitles...
That's very interesting information PolloDiablo, does it mean the Dutch retail version is only subbed in Dutch but with complete English voice-overs?

One more question please -- as you're the person who had opportunity to finish this game. Do you believe I can pass it through only with English language knowledge (are there any potencial puzzle, language related issues)?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
It's Hard To Be Humble

That review was very hard to read. I hope someone with a stronger command of the English language gets a chance to review it soon. That said, it's sad to hear that the game is not living up to expectations.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Chicken with a bite

Wallymian, yes all voices are in English and only subtitles have been translated. However, there are some puzzles that have a word or sentence as their answer, and these have been translated, too. But they are not really difficult and can be brute forced (it's a matter of removing unwanted letters from a grid in order to form a word or sentence with the remaining ones - you don't really need to understand Dutch to solve them).

I'll repost what I said on GameBoomers a while ago

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that this game is NOT what I expected and will disappoint a lot of people. The premise of the story is that Mozart was not only a genius with music but also a freemason. He is in Prague to perform, but decides to visit the Prague chapter of the freemasons in his spare time. They don't accept his word that he has been initiated and he has to prove himself worthy. This is where the puzzles come in. So far, so good, but unfortunately the developers only had enough imagination for five puzzles and two mini-games and these are repeated over and over again. And worse, they're not even fun to solve/play.

PLEASE NOTE, SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THE TYPES OF PUZZLES TO FOLLOW. Not the solutions though, it's just that some people don't want to know what kind of puzzles to expect.

Spoiler:

Some of the puzzles require musical insight and good hearing capabilities, for instance tuning an instrument or putting fragments in the correct order. Another type of puzzle is purely trial and error (although musical insight can help a little, it involves reconstructing 'messed up' sheets of music).

One mini-game is playing cards. Since it depends on luck and coincidence it can take a while to win this, which influences the flow of the game (not very realistic to play a dozen rounds of a game of cards when you are in a hurry). The worst however is a conducting mini-game. A dot 'dances' on the screen and you have to follow it with your mouse cursor. This is completely impossible with a scrollwheel-type mouse (which I have) and very hard with a normal mouse (which I bought to be able to play this game). Fortunately, you can make a few mistakes as the result influences a simple word puzzle which is easy to solve even with lots of mistakes in the conducting game. However, at the end of the game you have to perform this mini-game perfectly without any mistake. I was not able to do this even after trying a dozen times. I had to ALT-TAB out of the game to escape the continuous loop of trying again and again.

Not recommended.

Last edited by PolloDiablo; 06-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #7

PolloDiablo, thanks for anwering my question and thrashing out all the details.
Now, I'm gonna look for Dutchy-dutch version.

Last edited by Wallymian; 06-29-2009 at 11:28 AM.