You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Indie Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Strategy Guide Author

Default Best Indie Adventure Games?

This was brought up in another thread so I wanted to give it a thread of its own since I am always looking for new games to try out that I might not have heard of.

(if this should be in the underground section, I apologize

Anyhow, I was hoping some of you guys who have played a bunch of Indie adventures might share some recommendations for the best titles. For me, graphics don't really matter as much as just a great story or characters. Presentations is certainly good too; quality and polish will override any graphical shortcomings any day.

So what are some of the best indie adventures? If you have a link to a compilation/article about it feel free to share.

Thanks in advance!

BTW Go with the idea that I know nothing about indie adventures, so don't hesitate to mention the most obvious ones

Last edited by Phod; 06-16-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

I don't have a list "per se" of indie games I've most liked, so I'd have to think hard on this question. I will say that several of the indie developers whose work I admired have now become popular enough that their games are published and sold in stores and may not be considered so indie anymore. Games like Darkfall and Barrow Hill and the Delaware St. John series. I remember when Darkfall first came out, and I purchased a copy directly from the developer Mr. Boakes. It came as a vanilla looking CD-R with no real markings, hehe. Hey, I wonder if that would now be considered a collector's item, hahaha. Anyway, I will give this some thought and post in your thread when I come up with some more titles.

One thing I'd recommend if you haven't already done so is to go to the AGS website, and run a filter on it's database of games to show you a list of the most highly rated games. AGS has dozens of what I consider very high quality indie freeware efforts. One could spend hundreds of hours playing these great games. Same goes for the adventure maker website. I've always been a big fan of indie games, whether freeware or for profit, so I'm glad you started up a forum topic on this.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
(if this should be in the underground section, I apologize
It depends what you're meaning by 'Indie'. If you're meaning freeware, then it should be in the underground forum. Commercial indie titles also exist.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Strategy Guide Author

Ah, yeah I kinda meant freeware
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #5

I liked Jessica Plunkenstein quite a lot. Graphics were poor (intentionally, it seems), but the voice acting was actually ok.

I also liked The Goat in the Grey Fedora, a flash game.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

You can find quite a few recommendations in my blog which I'm devoting mostly to indie adventure games actually. Look both in the reviews section and the "Great Freeware Adventure Games" section in the links on the main page.

You should also try Find Therma's blog which contains AGS games reviews.

Mod note:
Since Phod is talking freeware, please continue in this new thread.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 06-17-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: See above