You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Old Games Would You Want Updating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald
Default What Old Games Would You Want Updating?

Now they are about to release MI again, what old games would you want updating? I personally would love to see Feeble Files updated or a completely new adventure & also Discworld, that would be great in an episode format, around Ankh Morpork. But I don't think that will ever happen?! lol

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #2

I'm a complete whore for The Longest Journey, so I'll say that right off the bat.

I'd love to see Fate of Atlantis remade into a much more slick and updated game, maybe even 3rd person perspective. That and Day of the Tentacle of course. Purple tentacle in all his glory!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Monkey Island 2

I'd love to hear a speaking version of Largo.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Monkey Island 2

I'd love to hear a speaking version of Largo.
Definitely this for me. MI2 was the first ever adventure game I played, so to see that brought up to date would be awesome.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #5

Personally, none. Leave the games as they were, with the combination of outdated graphics and unique magic. If you interfere with this combination, even by improving one part, the game looses it's authenticity.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Stalker of Britain

Well, my wish has already came true, with the Director's Cut of Dark Fall 1 & 2. But it would be really nice to see the Discworld games or Tex Murphy games, since I can't get ahold of them with their high prices.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #7

Default What other classics should get the Monkey Island Special Edition treatment.

Personally I'm extremely psyched for the release of this. At the time the early games were out I wasn't really into PC games, mostly cause I didn't have a PC because my parents didn't think it necessary at the time, and I only got to play little bits of these at friends' houses (along with the early Kings Quests and others). Given the love and attention that Lucasarts is putting into these remakes it got me dreaming of other classics I'd love to see get a similar treatment such as....

Phantasmagoria

Gabriel Knight

King's Quest

But the two that I really, really want (and will never happen) are Infogrames' Lovecraft adventures....

Shadow of the Comet

Prisoner of Ice

So what classics would you love to see get the MI Special Edition treatment?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
Personally, none. Leave the games as they were, with the combination of outdated graphics and unique magic. If you interfere with this combination, even by improving one part, the game looses it's authenticity.
Which is exactly why the Monkey Island Special Edition is the perfect way to do this. You can play either versions, and you can switch between them on the fly with the press of a single button/key. This feature was also present in the XBLA/PSN version of R-Type and it's friggin awesome. I can't wait to mess around with this on MI.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Easily amused

RealRiven!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
The Quiet One

For me it would be Gabriel Knight 1-3, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle*, Simon the Sorcerer 1-3 (never going to happen sadly means Adventure Soft are no more ), Sam & Max: Hit the Road* and Full Throttle.

* The cartoon graphics still look fine even today (especially if you enable anti-aliasing in ScummVM), but just imagine what the graphics and animations would look like if it got the SOMI Special Edition treatment.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
merely human

Gabriel Knight 3. For the consoles (X360, PS3), using the Source engine. Less moronic puzzles (replace the cat hair + syrup one, etc.).

The Messenger (Louvre). For the consoles (X360, PS3), using the Splinter Cell: Conviction engine (probably based on the Unreal engine). Complete re-haul of the puzzles but still focusing on non-action gameplay.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Game fanatic

What are the differences between the Source engine and the Conviction one that makes you want to differ between them here?

To me, they look like most modern game engines, in that they can do more or less the same stuff.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #13

Dear God Gabriel Knight!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
For me it would be Gabriel Knight 1-3, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle*, Simon the Sorcerer 1-3 (never going to happen sadly means Adventure Soft are no more ), Sam & Max: Hit the Road* and Full Throttle.

* The cartoon graphics still look fine even today (especially if you enable anti-aliasing in ScummVM), but just imagine what the graphics and animations would look like if it got the SOMI Special Edition treatment.
Ooh, Hit the Road for ME too!

Oh, and as for the voices of Sam and Max in that game --- KEEP THEM THE WAY THEY ARE! I think today's gamers need to hear them to really appreciate them, since they were probably raised on the voices from the episodic series.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #15

The Dig -- I'd like to see it with graphics to match the grandeur of the soundtrack.

For comedy-type games, I'm OK with the old, pixellated graphics, and may even prefer them. But for more serious games, I'd like graphics that are a bit more realistic. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (adventure version) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would be examples from LucasArts. From Sierra, Gabriel Knight 1 and 3, (though arguably GK3 needs an update even more than GK1 -- GK1 may be pixellated, but GK3 has that ugly angular early 3D look). If they could increase the resolution of GK2 without replacing the filmed actors, that would be great. Shadow of the Comet is another game that might benefit from an update (and I see Lupin also mentioned it). I'm unsure about the King's Quest games, but KQ4 would certainly benefit from having better skin tones -- Rosella is a bit too rosy.

Games that rely heavily on the environment rather than character interaction would probably benefit most from more realistic graphics. Imagine "RealRiven" with lighting and weather effects. And Morpheus -- every time I replay it I have to adapt myself to the low resolution of the graphics, and I'm sure some people never adapt.

The Cryo games would probably benefit most from a different type of update -- better puzzles. For example, despite that I liked Atlantis 2 a lot, and that higher resolutions and weather/lighting effect would make it more attractive, it's biggest problem was that some of its puzzles just made no sense at all. Same with Faust.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
J.H
Frak.

MI2 and I'd love to see MI4 as 2D point and click (although I know it's not old)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #17

I thought of another one -- Riddle of the Sphinx.
It looked old and dated even when it first came out -- and there was an obvious difference in quality (and often color) between the still images and the QuickTime movies. And you couldn't understand what the guy said at the end because the audio was garbled.

Its successor (The Omega Stone) looked a lot better, but wasn't as much fun to play.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #18

Yeah, I hope they remake MI2 as well. What I really want to see is a point and click version for Grim Fandango. I'm not one to grumble over keyboard controls, but point and click would make me happy.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
never stops believin'

Special Editions for any game that takes a DosBox or ScummVM to play! Make some classics XP compatible!

Some games I actually think shouldn't be updated - because the old graphics don't deter/limit the story and, in fact, add some charm to it. Space Quest is ok - though, geez, it might be really cool to make the driving sequence really cool...I digress!

And games where to me, there's nothing that can be done. I do not believe that Riven could be anymore beautiful than it is - I thought realMyst was a novelty, but I always choose to play the original because, for me, the atmosphere just works better.

Someone mentioned TLJ - confused by this, it's not as graphically advanced as Bioshock, but I still think it meets a standard of feeling pretty contemporary. Update it to Dreamfall standards, maybe?

An aside: I wanted to re-play TLJ before starting Dreamfall, and forgot how...long the game is! The first time, when everything is new, you don' notice but, listening to all the dialogue, running all over, for the second time - it's not a game I recommend a replay of, to be honest.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

I'm surprised no one said Loom.