Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Best Indie Adventure Games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24916-best-indie-adventure-games.html)

Phod 06-16-2009 12:00 PM

Best Indie Adventure Games?

This was brought up in another thread so I wanted to give it a thread of its own since I am always looking for new games to try out that I might not have heard of.

(if this should be in the underground section, I apologize :)

Anyhow, I was hoping some of you guys who have played a bunch of Indie adventures might share some recommendations for the best titles. For me, graphics don't really matter as much as just a great story or characters. Presentations is certainly good too; quality and polish will override any graphical shortcomings any day.

So what are some of the best indie adventures? If you have a link to a compilation/article about it feel free to share.

Thanks in advance!

BTW Go with the idea that I know nothing about indie adventures, so don't hesitate to mention the most obvious ones :)

lakerz 06-16-2009 01:17 PM

I don't have a list "per se" of indie games I've most liked, so I'd have to think hard on this question. I will say that several of the indie developers whose work I admired have now become popular enough that their games are published and sold in stores and may not be considered so indie anymore. Games like Darkfall and Barrow Hill and the Delaware St. John series. I remember when Darkfall first came out, and I purchased a copy directly from the developer Mr. Boakes. It came as a vanilla looking CD-R with no real markings, hehe. Hey, I wonder if that would now be considered a collector's item, hahaha. Anyway, I will give this some thought and post in your thread when I come up with some more titles.

One thing I'd recommend if you haven't already done so is to go to the AGS website, and run a filter on it's database of games to show you a list of the most highly rated games. AGS has dozens of what I consider very high quality indie freeware efforts. One could spend hundreds of hours playing these great games. Same goes for the adventure maker website. I've always been a big fan of indie games, whether freeware or for profit, so I'm glad you started up a forum topic on this.

Dale Baldwin 06-16-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phod (Post 513066)
(if this should be in the underground section, I apologize :)

It depends what you're meaning by 'Indie'. If you're meaning freeware, then it should be in the underground forum. Commercial indie titles also exist.

Phod 06-16-2009 02:14 PM

Ah, yeah I kinda meant freeware :)

Periglo 06-16-2009 11:47 PM

I liked Jessica Plunkenstein quite a lot. Graphics were poor (intentionally, it seems), but the voice acting was actually ok.

I also liked The Goat in the Grey Fedora, a flash game.

Ascovel 06-17-2009 12:55 AM

You can find quite a few recommendations in my blog which I'm devoting mostly to indie adventure games actually. Look both in the reviews section and the "Great Freeware Adventure Games" section in the links on the main page.

You should also try Find Therma's blog which contains AGS games reviews.

Mod note:
Since Phod is talking freeware, please continue in this new thread.