You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So.... what happens to Sierra?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Default So.... what happens to Sierra?

Sorry if this subject has been covered before, but where did all the characters, franchises and other creative rights go to after Sierra went defunct this year? Does it all now just sit in Activision's basement collecting dust?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Does it all now just sit in Activision's basement collecting dust?
Sadly but exactly

... Oh, except for the new Larry which was sold to Codemasters...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #3

Ok from what I know, Massive (Ground Control/World in Conflict) were sold to Ubisoft. Homeworld went to THQ I think, so there's always chance of HW3...

As for the adventure games, gathering dust is probably about right. Maybe they'll sell the IP at some point, but even then would you trust whoever picks it up, if anyone?

After all, those games were sadly all dead, and there is far more profitable IPs out there gathering dust....
Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post
After all, those games were sadly all dead, and there is far more profitable IPs out there gathering dust....
Well... I politely disagree

Try to publish anywhere the news of Gabriel Knight 4 being in production... I have the feeling that whatever the community, it will be in uproar
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Well... I politely disagree

Try to publish anywhere the news of Gabriel Knight 4 being in production... I have the feeling that whatever the community, it will be in uproar
Hehe, GK4 is the one exception I did have in mind... Though imagine if someone picks up the IP (or Activision Blizzard decide it's worth working on) and Jane Jensen's not involved.. Would you bother? I might not...

As for the other Sierra adventure games:
Quest for Glory - concluded, and I for one loved the final game.
King's Quest - ummm, I'd say concluded too... I thoguht Mask of Eternity was ok...
Leisure Suit Larry - that's still going on, and I think we all wish it would stop.
Phantasmagoria - No more...please!
Police Quest - became SWAT... Was it ever that good anyway?
Laura Bow - Never that good to begin with
Ecoquest - The first was great, the second was average, it died waaaaay before Sierra
Space Quest - that one was never concluded... but they made it clear they were not gonna make anymore

I bet I must have missed out a couple...

And I am wondering how the uproar will compare to the one that other 'abandoned' cult games were to receive if a sequel were announced. Think Wing Commander or Ultima for example.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Hehe, GK4 is the one exception I did have in mind... Though imagine if someone picks up the IP (or Activision Blizzard decide it's worth working on) and Jane Jensen's not involved.. Would you bother? I might not...
I try not to think about this scenario

Quote:
As for the other Sierra adventure games:
Quest for Glory - I agree with you. The series is definitely concluded, but it would be nice to see more games with the same format and set in the same universe.
King's Quest - Well, since I utterly disliked MoE, I think this series deserves a proper conclusion.
Leisure Suit Larry - Agree. Better no Larry game, than these pseudo-Larry games.
Phantasmagoria - I would love to see a third Phantasmagoria!
Police Quest - I loved the classical PQ series (except for the fourth one), and I'd like to see another chapter with Sonny Bonds as protagonist.
Laura Bow - Agree with you (plus, we already know the end of her story from GK1)

Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Banned User

Activision/Vivendi killed Sierra ages back.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou View Post
Activision/Vivendi killed Sierra ages back.
Yeah, Sierra died as soon as it was sold to Cendant - I respect Vivendi for at least attempting to retain the fan base through the forums and look into revivals (LucasArts had a similar fall from grace with its cancellations.)

Oh well, greener pastures ahead - there's Gray Matter on the horizon.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Laura Bow - Agree with you (plus, we already know the end of her story from GK1)
what the ...
äh ... wha happened to her ?
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #10

While visiting Tulane University, you can read the board in the auditorium and find out that...

Spoiler:
She won the Pulitzer Prize and married Steve Dorian. Now, an happy octogenarian, she is about to give a speech at the University about investigation and journalism

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
While visiting Tulane University, you can read the board in the auditorium and find out that...

Spoiler:
She won the Pulitzer Prize and married Steve Dorian. Now, an happy octogenarian, she is about to give a speech at the University about investigation and journalism
Cool
I have to check that out !
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Yeah, Sierra died as soon as it was sold to Cendant - I respect Vivendi for at least attempting to retain the fan base through the forums and look into revivals (LucasArts had a similar fall from grace with its cancellations.)

Oh well, greener pastures ahead - there's Gray Matter on the horizon.
I remember eagerly awaiting Warcraft Adventures and Babylon 5:Into the Fire to come out when that happened. Apparently Codemasters was interested in B5 but Cendant refused to sell the materials.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #13

Wait...Since when did Codemasters get the rights to larry?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #14

Though I can't give you a specific date a Codemasters publishing label, Funsta, acquired the rights and the then in development Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust in the aftermath of the Activision Blizzard merger. They just recently published the game, to less than stellar reviews.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
Pixelthis Big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent5 View Post
...to less than stellar reviews.
No surprises there. I must admit these games were appealing when I was a young teen for obvious reasons. Some of the dialog of the old games is still worth a laugh.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:

Quest for Glory - I agree with you. The series is definitely concluded, but it would be nice to see more games with the same format and set in the same universe.
King's Quest - Well, since I utterly disliked MoE, I think this series deserves a proper conclusion.
Leisure Suit Larry - Agree. Better no Larry game, than these pseudo-Larry games.
Phantasmagoria - I would love to see a third Phantasmagoria!
Police Quest - I loved the classical PQ series (except for the fourth one), and I'd like to see another chapter with Sonny Bonds as protagonist.
Well I dont think MoE was meant to be the last necessarily... But I dont understand why everyone hated it so much. Yeah the graphics were quite bad (when it came out Quake 2 was a big thing, and that game looked worse than Quake 1!) and the puzzles were a joke, but it was fun anyway..
Also it's not like every single title in the KQ series was a masterpiece...quality varied quite a lot between them...

It's not like Roberta Williams struck gold with every single game she made...

As for Phantasmagoria - i liked 1 but 2 was just plain crap. If I drop my wallet under a couch I push the couch out of the way, I dont train a rat (that is actually smaller than the wallet) to go fetch it for me. Also why were the women in that game so horny and all over the skinny geeky main guy? And the Darth Vader voice??? The hell was that about?

This did remind me about Shivers though - A Sierra horror game (FMV too I believe?) that I never played.. Is that any good? I spent hours setting up Win 3.11 on a MS Virtual PC to be able to play Beast Within properly, so wouldnt mind playing some oldies!

And back on topic: does anyone remember the old Krondor games (RPGs)? Those would be well worth bringing back
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
Life and times of...

Quote:
But could it really even happen? I mean, Jane already has the story ready, with very loose ends from GK3 and unlike (often?) developers in other game series she's been very important in and for all the previous GKs. There have been series where the makers have changed, but (at least to me) the Gabriel Knight series = Jane Jensen and there haven't even been that many other main developers in the games aside from her (and she's such a part in many different aspects of the game, not just story or something like that). I'm thinking it wouldn't be too easy to just have someone completely different just pick it up. Jane's been just too pivotal thoughout the series.

And if all the other reasons fail, at least it doesn't seem like a smart business move to alienate all the people who want Jane to be make the game. Of course there's the possibility that Jane would refuse, but I can't see that as very likely...

Or then I'm just "not in the know" Hey, I'm not a part of the game industry, so I could just be optimistic here (and then again, this whole topic seems to be rather pointless considering the state... of things...)

(But I guess I'm getting off-topic)
Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #18

Quote:
This did remind me about Shivers though - A Sierra horror game (FMV too I believe?) that I never played.. Is that any good? I spent hours setting up Win 3.11 on a MS Virtual PC to be able to play Beast Within properly, so wouldnt mind playing some oldies!

And back on topic: does anyone remember the old Krondor games (RPGs)? Those would be well worth bringing back
I consider Shivers one of my all-time favorites, and liked Shivers 2 almost as much. Definately worth trying both if you can.

I liked Betrayal At Krondor very much as well, and Betrayal At Antarra was pretty good, but I have been unable to find Return To Krondor anywhere (for a reasonable price) as of yet.

I'd say bring them ALL back!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogwart View Post
I consider Shivers one of my all-time favorites, and liked Shivers 2 almost as much. Definately worth trying both if you can.

I liked Betrayal At Krondor very much as well, and Betrayal At Antarra was pretty good, but I have been unable to find Return To Krondor anywhere (for a reasonable price) as of yet.

I'd say bring them ALL back!
See the sig regarding Shivers. To me that's the most underrated adventure game series ever (even if there were only 2).

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #20

I'm also a huge Shivers fan, although i didn't like the second one.