You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So.... what happens to Sierra?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #21

Well in that case, let's see how much shivers goes for on eBay...
Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I'm also a huge Shivers fan, although i didn't like the second one.
I completely understand why you might not like Shivers 2. It is VERY different from Shivers 1. I actually disliked Shivers 2 when I started playing it too because it was so different from the first, and also because of the "band and their songs" focus of the game. I'm a professional musician, and when I realized the game was about a fictional band I immediately thought:

1. The songs would be horrible, so much as to make me quit playing.
2. The story would be filled with inaccuracies and/or exaggerations about band members and their characterizations.

As I played, though, I slowly began to realize that #2 wasn't happening (at least not to any annoying degree), and shockingly enough, I was actually enjoying most of the songs. The fact that my initial reactions were so drastically changed definitely increased my enjoyment of the game. I still did not like the timed nature of the puzzles solved in the canyons, however.

But overall, it turned out to be one of my favorites despite the fact that it was so different from the original. Strange and pleasantly surprising.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post
This did remind me about Shivers though - A Sierra horror game (FMV too I believe?) that I never played.. Is that any good? I spent hours setting up Win 3.11 on a MS Virtual PC to be able to play Beast Within properly, so wouldnt mind playing some oldies!
I agree with the others - Shivers definitely is an underrated game well worth playing. I absolutely loved it even though I'm usually not the kind of player indulging in difficult puzzles. But Shivers was different; the setting is awesome, the atmosphere really works. Also, Shivers worked fine on my XP machine without using compatibility mode or having to adjust anything at all - just installed and ran it.
Can't say anything about Harvest of Souls because I still need to find that one for a reasonable price - 30 bucks does *not* qualify as reasonable.