You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I want more direct control adventure games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #21

Default Anachronox

Anachronox is one of the most spectacular adventure games I've ever played. Total immersion, gorgeous environments.

Highly recommended!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #22

What's frustrating me the most is that with every new preview that pops up on the home page and some new Adventure game looks cool and sounds cool and then I look at the preview and find out it is point-n-click. Purely my opinion, but it's 2008, nearly 2009. It's time to put PNC out to pasture. Anybody know of any cool up coming Adventure game that isn't PNC? (I know of Heavy Rain and Theisis.)
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
Freeware Co-ordinator

I don't understand why direct control is seen as inherently superior to point and click. It's not like direct control requires any particular advances in technology (or at least, nothing that hasn't been around since the first FPS anyway) I think part of the reason point and click has lasted so long is that it is a very easy control system to use. I'd rather have a system that was easy to use than an awkward system that was new just for the sake of it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I don't understand why direct control is seen as inherently superior to point and click. It's not like direct control requires any particular advances in technology (or at least, nothing that hasn't been around since the first FPS anyway) I think part of the reason point and click has lasted so long is that it is a very easy control system to use. I'd rather have a system that was easy to use than an awkward system that was new just for the sake of it.
For me, it is the immersion into the game world. As you walk around in the real world, you don't see a floating hand do you? With direct control, and first-person perspective, you as the character experience the game world as you the person would in real-life.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #25
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post

Direct control fools you into thinking you are constantly in control of the game which leads to more immersion in the game world. I don't think it's necessarily to do with advances in technology.

Point and click feels like you are remote from the action on screen. You click and then sit back and wait for your character to walk across the screen. You're not really in control, more like issuing orders and observing.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #26
vio

some games work better as point and click, others work better with direct control, especially games which also involve some action elements but there have been direct control pure adventure games too. I wouldn't say that one is particularly better all around
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #27

There are plenty of direct control adventure game out. They just fall into the sub-category of "action" adventure games. Like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Lego Star Wars and Lost: The video game. I enjoy playing those games myself but I'd rather play a 2D PNC adventure game like Broken Sword.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #28
Sio

Default again,

again, its not so simple. direct control does not automatically ensure immersion.

My opinion is, direct control only works towards immersion in first person games, where YOU are the one interacting with the characters and the game world.

Examples of this are half life and vampire:bloodines (not adventure games, but games where direct control works WITH first person perspective towards immersion). In such games YOU are the character and you -generally- don't assume the role of another character (or at least one with a special personality)

In games like gabriel knight, monkey island, or grim fandango, the game revolves around the main character and not YOU as the character. There is a difference. It's all about watching the character interact with the environment and the story, about watching things unfold from HIS perspective. That is why direct control is not necessary and is only needed if the gameplay requires it. Grim fandango could easily have worked (perhaps better actually) with a point and click gameplay.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #29
Headbanger

But still, I believe that it's funnier to actually control your characters movement then just click, sit back and watch the character take a stroll across the screen.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #30

The interface for the Tex Murphy games have both click and point that works together with the first person POV that allows you to move around the environment that you are in.

Realm of the haunting can move around freely but it's a hybrid game part shooter/part horror FMV adventure game.

Both of these are old games though.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #31
Adventure Gamer for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie4life View Post
There are plenty of direct control adventure game out. They just fall into the sub-category of "action" adventure games. Like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Lego Star Wars and Lost: The video game.
First of all, I think you have a long way to go to call most of those games adventures. I love RE and the Lego games, but I wouldn't call them adventure games, or even action/adventure games. I did try playing Lost and was extremely bored.

The thing that really annoys me in direct control games (and that Lost reminded me of) is having to walk right up to things to interact with them. It's annoying and a waste of time. However, if a game is good, well-implemented direct control doesn't bother me.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I'm not fussed either way, it's whatever suits that particular game for me. I loved all the Space Quests, Monkey Islands, Indy, Tex Murphy, Rex Nebular games and more.

If the original poster wants more control then the Tex Murphy games might be up his street, first person and some of the puzzles are based on where you are in the environment. Worth checking out...