You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I want more direct control adventure games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Default I want more direct control adventure games.

I realize I am in the minority, but I want more (well any) direct control adventure games. I think that point-n-click should be put away forever. At least make games with both options for a time. I'm a big fan of Tomb Raider like games, (Zelda, Soul Reaver, Morrowind, Deus Ex, etc.) I feel more immersion into the game world when I can control the character's movements. I feel more engaged in experience. I don't know whether to keep hope alive that adventure games would mature to where I think they should be or just stick to action games even if they don't have the kinds of stories adventure games are capable of.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Adventure Shop

You should wait for the remastered version of Sherlock Holmes.
The game will mix the best of both worlds, point'n click and first person view.
You switch from 1st to 3rd using the mouse button.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Try Simon the Sorcerer 3D!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Psychonaut

Dreamfall
Broken Sword 3 and 4
Monkey Island 4
Grim Fandango

are all firect control games where using a joypad is preferable.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Easily amused

I think that direct control is fine, as long as you can use a mouse for it (ex. GK3, Uru, RealMyst, Sentinel). I used to get confused about direct control just meaning using a keyboard for movement, but have since been corrected.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #6

The games you mention are not adventure games. Maybe you shoud stick to those kind of games if you dont like point and click.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

It's all about money. Direct control games are a lot harder to make and thus more expensive.

BTW GK3 is one of the best adventure games ever made.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #8

Even though adventures these days tend to play like they always have, it's reassuring that other genres are picking up more and more adventure traits. (With the bonus of innovation!) GK3's camera made the game so much more immersive in my opinion. I would love to see a camera system like that again in an adventure game.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
GK3's camera made the game so much more immersive in my opinion. I would love to see a camera system like that again in an adventure game.
I totally agree: I'm close to define it the best possible way for a point-and-click adventure!

It provides a huge immersion and a vivid feeling of reality: a shame that no more game used that system.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 AM   #10
Sik

While I'm not against direct control in adventure games, I see no reason to use it unless the puzzles are built around exploration and physics. That means full 3D graphics, and developers have to choose between giving up a lot of detail compared to a game with static 2D screens, or making the game a real hog when it comes to system requirements. A good adventure game should, in my opinion, have more detailed locations than other genres, so the switch from 2D to 3D means inevitable tradeoffs.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #11

You should try games that have some AG elements, like:
  • Psychonauts
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Mass effect (from what I've heard, haven't played this one yet)
And RPGs rich in storyline: Torment, Vampire TM Bloodlines...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Sik

Little Big Adventure has a lot of adventure game elements in it. Lots of interesting characters, and having to choose between normal(walk and interact), aggressive(fight), athletic(run and jump) and stealth modes makes for some interesting puzzles. It's quite old, though, so probably not easy to get hold of or to actually run it if you do.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Lovable rogue

I'm the opposite really, I couldn't care less how the character moves, but I love point and click because the cursor is like having my own hand in the game, and I can reach out and interact with objects the way I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
GK3's camera made the game so much more immersive in my opinion. I would love to see a camera system like that again in an adventure game.
I totally agree: I'm close to define it the best possible way for a point-and-click adventure!

It provides a huge immersion and a vivid feeling of reality: a shame that no more game used that system.
I wasn't a huge fan of the controls/camera system in Grim Fandango. I'd hold down an arrow key to run to one side of the room, then suddenly the camera would shift to another perspective, and my directional imput would translate differently, and Manny would run straight back out the way he came. It got a little tiring after a while.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I wasn't a huge fan of the controls/camera system in Grim Fandango. I'd hold down an arrow key to run to one side of the room, then suddenly the camera would shift to another perspective, and my directional imput would translate differently, and Manny would run straight back out the way he came. It got a little tiring after a while.
You could change this in the options by making the controls character-relative.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
vio

while I'm a die hard fan of the point and clickers, I have to admit that a well done action/adventure can be a fun diversion. amongst my favourites I'd have to include Morrowind which is admittedly far more of an RPG than an adventure but manages to include a healthy dose of adventure elements
predating Morrowind however is the game that brought the Elder Scrolls series to my attention; Redguard. there's a lot of adventure elements and while there's plenty of combat it's not too difficult to master and it's a much more casual and relaxed game than Morrowind but without being any less fun

another great amongst this genre is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. while I've not yet completed the game, what I have experienced so far has a lot of adventure elements intermingled with some action, but more of the running away and trying to escape than combat. it's also a very impressive adaptation of one of HP Lovecraft's best stories
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
Playing Scratches DC
Successfully? Or did you need to buy a new graphics card that supports OpenGL to play it?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #17

There are two main reasons why I play adventure games:

1. For good story
2. For good puzzles

If an adventure game has these two things, then most likely, I'll love it. Adventure games in general don't need full walking around control. It wouldn't do any good since adventure games aren't about beating up bad guys and dodging bullets. It's about picking up clues and solving puzzles.

The Adventure Company recently published a game called DEAD REEFS that tried to be innovative and made it where you controlled the player through the keyboard. It didn't work: the game sucked and the controls were annoying as hell. Perhaps it would have worked better if they had made the controlling easier, but still, it did nothing for the game. They should have just made it a point and click adventure.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
It's Hard To Be Humble

I feel like I'm in a time warp. Haven't we had this thread before?

Incidentally, I like both, so long as the controls actually work and don't require twitch gamer reflexes. I think direct control is an important innovation for adventure games, and look forward to seeing more games use it successfully.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #19

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've done this thread before. If I recall, my post was almost identical too.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #20
Headbanger

I don't really care about the controls as long as they work for the game. Although I agree that direct control often feels a little bit better. But I just played Shadow of the Comet and I felt the combination of keyboard controls and mouse in that game was a bit odd. But it works in games like Grim Fandango (only keyboard and no mouse).