You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Simon 3D

Can't seem to find this game anywhere. I just finished the first two and the ending left me hanging. Does anybody know where I can get this game??
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

OK. Since I haven't gotten any replies on this, would it be good to assume that even trying to hunt this game down is pointless? I've read alot of reviews and they don't paint a pretty picture at all. Should I just jump to getting 4 or would that kill the storyline?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #3

I think that the lack of replies is purely due to the fact that Simon 3D is really, really disliked by fans. After all, a very quick Google search gave me this page, which seems to be legit.

The deal with Simon 3D is this: they wanted to make a 2D game. They'd pretty much made the game in 2D. No-one could publish it. So they had to move to 3D, and they weren't very familiar with it. This means

a) The game doesn't look very good
b) The game has a lot of mini-games
c) The game is very buggy - at no point is it at danger of being unplayable but it crashes during long sessions so saving is a must.

But I still really like Simon 3D, to the extent that I sent an email of congratulation to AdventureSoft after playing it. The puzzles are well thought-out, the characters are funny, the story is good, and there's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you get new things throughout the game (getting the spellbook and the dragon, etcetera)

I'm not keen on Simon 4 at all from what I've heard about it - different designers, horrible voice acting, worse translation... I say if you liked the first two, give 3D a go. The humour hasn't changed an iota and to me that's the backbone of the series.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Psychonaut

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...venturegame-20
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
a) The game doesn't look very good
b) The game has a lot of mini-games
c) The game is very buggy - at no point is it at danger of being unplayable but it crashes during long sessions so saving is a must.
Even worse is the ridiculous amount of walking usually involved in getting from point A to point B. And the unskippable teleporting phone booths cutscenes. The problem with the mini-games is that they are often unbelievably hard and not fun at all.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #6

If only this got finished...
http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateie...ers/simtology/
Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
Is this a sequel created by fans?

Personally I would only be interested in a simon game from the original creators.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
Knights Templar

I honestly wouldnt bother mate, Simon 3D is one of the worst games I have ever played - and that is coming from the biggest fan of the first 2 games.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post

Personally I would only be interested in a simon game from the original creators.
It looks like a remake of Simon 3D in 2D.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
The Quiet One

Simon 3D is ok, it has its moments, but it was quite a bit of a disappointment for me. I'd recommend you just stick to the first two, Brimstone. Classics through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
It's supposed to be a 2D remake of Simon 3D, by some German fans, using the Simon 2 graphics. Like DEMON said, if only it got finished. It only seems to be the intro that's available, which looks promising, but there's nothing more. It's been that way for ages.

Quote:
Me too. It's such a shame Adventure Soft went bust.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #11

WOW!! I guess the squeeky wheel does get the grease. I just posted late last night and got a load of info. I understand the game was absolutely horid, but I'm a series guy. Usually if i get caught up in a series I like to play them all (usually in order). As for classics I have almost any clasic adventure game you can imagine. Spent nearly 3 years buying up any adventure game I can find just for something to do. (note: I was stuck in a bed with severe spinal damage) I do love that classics but I've played them so much that I'm looking for something new. Another post of mine suggested the Simon series and now I'm hooked.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #12

I say you give simon3d a try. If you liked the humor in the first two there's a lot of stuff you will like in it. For me personally the story, dialogue, characters, humor etc. overcome its shortcomings in the graphics and gameplay department.
Sadly, that cannot be said about simon4. I think it's by far the most disappointing in the series.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #13

Actually got to play some of 4 today and it really isn't that bad. The only voice I have to actually muscle through is Simon's nasaly "I'm an idiot" type voice. Other than that it's been pretty good. Now if only I could throw Green Simon out his own window, get it on with the busty Alix, and get back in time to murder Simon's little brother, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
vio

Simon 3D is a good game trapped in a bad game's body
I'll be brief since most of it's already been said, but the attempt at 3D and the annoying minigames really let the game down

as for picking up from the Simon2 ending, it sort of half did.

warning, the following will contain spoilers for Simon 2 so anyone who hasn't played it, cover your eyes .... or just don't highlight the text

Spoiler:
Simon 2 ends with Simon in Sordid's robot body and Sordid in Simon's body and Sordid goes back to Simon's world (our world)...
Simon 3D however starts with Simon disembodied and Sordid in his robot body. Simon is returned to his own body in the intro but no explanation is ever given, as far as I saw anyway, at how he left Sordid's body and how Sordid returned to it and why he wasn't in our dimension running amok in Simon's body after all
Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #15

OOOOOOOOOKKK... I really do hate when they screw up the storyline in between sequels just to make the current story work, but I just finished 4 this morning and it makes a few references to 3D that I would like to check out. I won't go into detail here for those who haven't played 4. I will say again that I did enjoy 4, even though it didn't have as many laughs as 1 & 2, the ones it does have sneak up on you especially when you don't expect a certain reference.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #16

Erm, actually he got it completely wrong.

Spoiler:
The game opens with Sordid possessing Simon's body, but he discards it during the intro to occupy a brand new robot body that Runt has built for him. This leaves Simon as a dead body, although it's recovered by a heroin Calypso has hired and subsequently resurrected.

Edit:

Spoiler:
Also, Sordid shows up in his tower through the magic wardrobe in the intro, so he probably HAS been in Simon's world. I can't remember if there are any references to what he was up to between games, but there probably is..
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #17
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
Edit:

Spoiler:
Also, Sordid shows up in his tower through the magic wardrobe in the intro, so he probably HAS been in Simon's world. I can't remember if there are any references to what he was up to between games, but there probably is..
Well...

Spoiler:
All i know is, is at the beginning (in typical Star Wars fashion), it says Sordid travelled to our dimension to discover the secrets of the universe. Which i think is how he learns about the Nexus. It's been a while since i last played it though. Why Sordid didn't do anything more is beyond me. Afterall, at the end of Simon 2, he says to Runt that he'll bring our world to its knees. You'd think, being a powerful sorcerer and all, that he'd destroy all the governments in the world and make everyone his slaves etc.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
vio

seems I must've forgotten some of what happened then, my apologies
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
It looks like a remake of Simon 3D in 2D.
It is.