You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale announces Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People WiiWare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #1

Default Telltale announces Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People WiiWare

Quote:
SAN RAFAEL, CA, April 10, 2008 – Interactive entertainment pioneer Telltale, Inc. is pleased to announce Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (SBCG4AP), a new series of episodic games for WiiWare™, in partnership with Videlectrix. Starring Strong Bad, the self-proclaimed coolest person ever, the series is based on Matt and Mike Chapman's online animated series, which has been running at Homestarrunner.com since 2000. SBCG4AP will launch on WiiWare this June.

As the very first episodic series for connected consoles, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has been designed specifically for WiiWare, with easy-to-use controls and WiiConnect24â„¢ features. Like Telltale's popular Sam & Max series, SBCG4AP will be released as a five-episode "season" akin to a season of television. The episodes will come out on a monthly schedule. Release dates and pricing details will be revealed in a future announcement.

"Homestarrunner.com is one of the biggest success stories in online entertainment," says Telltale CEO Dan Connors. "The Chapmans have been treating the Internet to episodic content for years. We're thrilled to have teamed up with them to take episodic gaming to the next level via Nintendo's innovative WiiWare delivery system."

Telltale is working closely with the Chapmans on the series' art style, storylines, and scripts. This hands-on collaboration will deliver long-time fans the ultimate Strong Bad experience and give new players a crash course in the series' offbeat and unusual humor. The episodes play like extended cartoons, during which the player assumes the role of Strong Bad—controlling his actions, hearing his innermost thoughts, and becoming part of his awesome world. SBCG4AP features the cast of characters and locations from the Homestarrunner.com cartoons, and the games are fully voice acted by Matt Chapman and the rest of the original cast.

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is a story-driven series with a comic spin that's undeniably Strong Bad. The player uncovers each episode's comedic plot through character interaction, dialogue-based puzzles, and the use (and abuse) of inventory items. In addition, each episode will be crammed with time-wasters to keep players poking around in the world, including Strong Bad emails to check, prank phone calls to place, and mini-games styled after the arcade games on the Homestarrunner.com website.

"Telltale has been rejecting my ideas for green text adventures for years," laments thousandaire gadabout Strong Bad, "but we finally reached a compromise with this puffy 3D point-and-click-em-up adventure. They claim all the coding was done with green text, so I guess that's pretty cool."

In addition to WiiWare, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People will be available on PC. For more details about the series, including a brand new trailer, screenshots, and Strong Bad's development blog, please visit www.telltalegames.com.

About Homestarrunner.com
Homestar Runner was conceived in 1996 by Mike Chapman and friend Craig Zobel as an idea for a weird kids' book they would only make a few photocopies of for friends. In 2000, Mike and brother Matt dusted off the idea and launched Homestarrunner.com, featuring the Flash-animated exploits of the characters. Since 2002, they have updated with new cartoons almost every week including the popular feature 'Strong Bad Email' in which fans get their emails answered by the cartoon's charming antagonist, Strong Bad. Mike and Matt write and animate the cartoons with Matt and Missy Palmer providing voices for the characters. The site has been featured and mentioned in the New York Times, Wired Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, Time, The Wall Street Journal, and, most importantly, two songs from the site were featured in the Guitar Hero series.

About Telltale, Inc.
Telltale is pioneering new forms of interactive entertainment, building upon strong foundations in both traditional and new media. Founded in 2004 by industry veterans with decades of experience, the company has quickly become the leading online episodic gaming publisher and developer, delivering award-winning interactive experiences that emphasize engaging stories, strong characters, and rich worlds. Telltale is establishing a regular, ongoing schedule of online episodic series, across all major gaming and entertainment platforms and channels. Telltale's games include the Sam & Max episodic series; Strong Bad's Game for Attractive People, the first episodic series for WiiWare based on the Homestarrunner.com flash cartoons; episodes adapted from Jeff Smith's epic Bone graphic novels; and games based on television's popular CSI program in partnership with Ubisoft. Telltale has built a robust digital distribution channel at www.telltalegames.com, and also publishes its games with select partners.

About Videlectrix
Since the beginning of organized time, or shortly thereafter, the 'Trix, as they are sometimes known, has been at all four fronts of the electronic video gaming industry, providing lo-res entertainment to parents and children alike. In the early years, The Big V, as they are othertimes known, got their start by typing numbers into calculators and then turning the calculators upside down to form words. In 2003, they partnered with Homestarrunner.com and released the arcade peasant-masher Trogdor! They've since followed up with hit after hit, including next-gen text adventure Peasant's Quest, side scrolling platformer Stinkoman 20X6, and the unforgettable Color Television Calibration Cartridge. Vid'rix looks forward to working with Telltale Games and finding out just exactly what it is they do.
So thats the new Wiiware game from Telltale! I'm not familiar with series so I don't know what to expect.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Wooooooo!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #3

It has to have been eight years since I've even thought about Homestar Runner. People still watch this?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #4

Its funny, when I heard that Telltale was making an game for Wiiware I thought of a Mario theme adventure game (Luigi and Toad? ) I never would have expected this.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Nice to see that it's coming to the PC too. If only because I still don't have a Wii...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #6

Nice. I haven't checked out homestarrunner.com in awhile, but they do have the inimitable Peasant's Quest and a couple other text adventure homages, so I think they're sensibilities are in the right place.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Psychonaut

Never heard of it.

Having checked the website and didn't find it all that funny.

Can't say that i'm all that excited until I see more of the game.

If it's anything like the cartoon it will be the first Telltale game I havn't bought.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

There's a trailer up now at http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbcg4ap.html

More awesomeness coming soon
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Banned User

Oh my, thats absolutely great. I knew Strong Bad was joking about a wii game, but I never knew it was going to be the same game Telltale is working on.

Absolute class! Cant wait to buy it.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Text Parser

Yes yes yes yes yes. Yes.
The Wii has gotten some pretty awesome win in terms of adventure games, don'tcha think? This, Sam and Max, and Zack and Wiki make for a good adventure game console.

Also, @Lucien: play Peasant's Quest for free on the site. You may change your mind.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Alright, my final bit of spam... there's another trailer up now at http:/www.telltalegames.com/strongbad
Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #12

Heh they announced S&M season 3 in the FAQ section.
Quote:
Does this mean you're abandoning Sam & Max?!
Of course not! Believe it or not, we're now a big enough company that we can work on all sorts of things at once. Sam & Max will be back in early 2009 with a new season, plus we're bringing their adventures to the Wii this fall. We also have a third (as yet unannounced) episodic series in production. Will wonders never cease?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Part-time Optimist

I'm gonna delurk here to rejoice. *Yay*

Hola, AG Forum Folks.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
Freeware Co-ordinator

Hola Banderwocky.

Congratulations on your delurking. I hope now you've revealed yourself you'll enjoy being an active member here.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #15

Wow, I love Homestarrunner. I love Telltale. I own a Wii. I never thought things would fall into place so easily.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #16
cows are my friends...

Freakin' sweet!! I can't wait! I still haven't had the chance to even finish Sam & Max Season 1, but I'm already totally excited about this.

My one question that wasn't answered by the FAQ: what is the difference between the Wii version and the PC version? I have a Wii and if the game is better for the Wii, I might want to purchase that version. But I also like having a box and disc, so the PC version might be better to have something tangible (assuming they do the same thing for SB that they did with S&M). It would be really sweet if TT allowed the purchase of the Wii season and then only charged S&H for the PC disc version for those that buy it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Rest assured I plan on buying this in some way, shape, or form.

Yay!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #17

It's been a while since I've visited homestarrunner.com, but this has renewed my interest. Strong Bad + Telltale = Awesomeness!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Here are some previews:

1UP video
Kotaku write-up of demo

There were hands-on demos at Nintendo's media summit yesterday, so we'll probably start seeing a lot more coverage on Tuesday when the embargo lifts.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #19
Under pressure.

I haven't been on the H*R site since 2002, I think. I used to watch these cartoons at work when I was still a system administrator at a school.

--Erwin
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
DAVE

Easy on the CV there buddy.