You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Prisoner of Ice - Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #1

Default Prisoner of Ice - Questions

Yo guys!

After enjoying Sanitarium so much, despite an almost average score on adventuregamers.com, I'm now planning to check out other adventures with that star rating and the one I'm eyeing at the moment is 'Prisoner of Ice'.

Short (but hopefully sweet), puzzles easy enough (keeps the game at a good flow) and looks like it has relatively good production values, despite the character models looking out of place.

Just wanted to know two things.

1. What are people's personal thoughts, for those who've played?
2. Does the game work well, or at all on XP?

I'm looking into getting the DICE publisher's jewel case version linked here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=all

Thoughts people?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #2

Never tried running it on XP, but I don't think that will be a big issue.

Been awhile since I played the game, but I do remember it was action-filled, entertaining and very creepy and eerie at times. Think its time for another playthrough.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Dungeon Master

3.5 stars is "a game of very high quality." rather than "almost average". That said, I'd rate Sanitarium higher than AG review.

By contrast, Prisoner of Ice might have been a bit "over-starred" by Kurufinwe... but I agree with the body of his review completely. If you don't expect a long (or even medium-length) game, and don't mind that plot won't make a whole lotta sense in the end, you should enjoy it for the smooth gameplay and the well realized Cthulhu-mythos-meets-cheesy-adventure-serial atmosphere.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

I loved this game when playing it as a kid.
Spoiler:
Especially the time traveling part. I'm a sucker for time travel in stories/games.
I thought it was very well done. I think the soundtrack grabbed me the most. I still have the CD-ROM.

It's a DOS game so you'll need DOSBox to play it, unless you don't mind a game with no sound.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

My general impression was there were plenty of difficult puzzles. Don't remember anything specific about them though. Storywise, the beginning was great, but it went a bit over the top in the last act. The game is fun, but I much prefered Shadow of the Comet - the first game from the Infograme's Cthulhu series. Now that was a really creepy game.

Last edited by Ascovel; 05-19-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #6

I'm not looking for an adventure to change my life, but I think I'll give this game a shot. I have Dosbox, although last time I remember I wasn't on speaking terms with it... I'll give it a go again.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Treasure Hunter

I liked that game a lot. It was really fun. I played the mac version, and I can say that the characters sometimes had terrible lines, though the voice acting never failed to deliver them convincingly. So basically, great voice acting, bad script. Otherwise, it's a pretty good game.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Yo guys!

After enjoying Sanitarium so much, despite an almost average score on adventuregamers.com, I'm now planning to check out other adventures with that star rating and the one I'm eyeing at the moment is 'Prisoner of Ice'.

Short (but hopefully sweet), puzzles easy enough (keeps the game at a good flow) and looks like it has relatively good production values, despite the character models looking out of place.

Just wanted to know two things.

1. What are people's personal thoughts, for those who've played?
2. Does the game work well, or at all on XP?

I'm looking into getting the DICE publisher's jewel case version linked here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=all

Thoughts people?
Just a word of warning that if this is the same copy I have, then do not buy it.
For some reason it's a version updated for windows but has no fullscreen option, meaning you can only play it in a window unless you set your desktop resolution to 640x480.
That is, unless there's a way around it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubliette View Post
Just a word of warning that if this is the same copy I have, then do not buy it.
For some reason it's a version updated for windows but has no fullscreen option, meaning you can only play it in a window unless you set your desktop resolution to 640x480.
That is, unless there's a way around it?
In fact, that definately is the version I have.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 05-21-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: merged
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #9

Ah right... I'll bare that in mind. I'm sure there's a way around it; probably dosbox again. I don't mind a box too much though.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Ah right... I'll bare that in mind. I'm sure there's a way around it; probably dosbox again. I don't mind a box too much though.
To be honest I seem to remember trying that but to no avail as it's a windows executable not a Dos one.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubliette View Post
To be honest I seem to remember trying that but to no avail as it's a windows executable not a Dos one.
It depends on which release you bought, I guess. I don't have my CDs within reach at the moment, but I know I have one with the Windows version, and another another one with two different DOS versions, where the only difference seemed to be the graphics resolution. (One was 320x200 and one 640x480, I think.)

I don't think the latter included the Windows version. From what I remember, they used different file formats for the movie cutscenes, so it may not have been practical to include them both.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

My CD copy of POI has 2 DOS versions (320x200 and 640x480) and no Windows version. Didn't know a Windows version existed! Interesting...