You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Unpopular Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to Mikeynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
And yeah, I don't mind dying either, as long as it's not completely random. If you know you're invincible and immortal, where's the tension?

Exactly. I am reminded of The Longest Journey, when April is in any "life threatening" situation. The game gives you an infinite amount of time to make a decision, thus there is never risk of "losing" or "death."

April being attacked by The Gribbler (or whatever) should have been an exciting, tension filled moment. But the thrill is lost when you realize that if you left the game running all day, The Gribbler would just endlessly stare at April from across the room.

Yes, if it fits well within the story, I want time limits! Even strict ones! That's gotta be unpopular...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #62

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

i know if i ever get to make an adventure game based on an idea i have in my head, you will be able to die...

anyways i havent read all 4 pages yet, but my unpopular opinion is... myst sucks... oh wait, thats a fact, then i guess i really dont have one.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #63
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
A word of warning: NEVER play the text adventure Corruption. Or any ancient Magnetic Scroll text adventures. But Corruption is the worst of them all.

My own unpopular opinion is that FMV adventures are great.
I wish they would make a comeback. Fat chance, I know. Myst IV was a wonderful example of the technical possibilities. There are a few others like me here, but the overwhelming majority of AG posters think we're mad. That's okay, because it never fails to amaze me how they can get excited about awkward and ugly but scantily-dressed female 3D puppets...

Bad acting? I really, truly, honestly feel that's not true for most FMV games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
I , too am a huge FMV fan. Loves FMV , even horrid ones. Guess i just like the idea of an interactive movie-type game. Unfortunately , the FMV era has passed although a few games like the latest Command and conquer does still used FMV cutscenes.
Have you guys seen this?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #64

Adventure gaming faltered BECAUSE it tried to abandon its early cliches. If I want intellectual stimulation, I'll read a book - adventure games are best when indulging childhood fantasies about starships or enchanted forests. The medium fundamentally lacks the potenial for acheiving the emotional depth of film or literature, and must set aside its pretentions and focus on its strengths (pretty scenery, clever writing, and the joy of exploration).

The last 10+ years of adventure games are an uninterrupted crapfest.

Almost every advance in technology has further robbed the genre of its potential richness.
* Abandoning the text parser eliminated most novel or unexpected avenues of player interaction, and the further reduction to modern hotspot interfaces dumbed things down to the level of guesswork.
* Increasing graphic fidelity stifled the player's imagination, and 3D rendered SVGA graphics eliminated any potential charm or character in the visuals at all.
* The emergence of digitized speech and its supplanting of textual dialog, descriptions, and narration slashed the rate at which the player could absorb information, and the vastly higher production and storage costs further reduced the amount of such information present by at least an order of magnitude.
* The combined effect of the above can be likened to reducing the state of the art from, say, a well written but juvenile novel (ex. The Hobbit) to something more like an extravagantly illustrated storybook for preschoolers.

Oh, and the original Sam and Max is the most overrated adventure game of them all, and perhaps the beginning of the end. Aside from being tedious, utterly unfunny, and vaguely distasteful, the interface is terrible.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 AM   #65

George W. Bush ist the greatest president EVAH!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #66
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I. Loved. Uru.

There, I said it.
Specksie, my man! I love URU too.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #67
Revolution obsessive

I was always under the impression that a lot of gamers liked Myst, ah well…
I personally hated Myst, and for many years I described it as the game for those suffering from sociophobia. (I know, a bit harsh). The game lacked a sufficient number of characters to interact with, and for me, that’s a problem. Also, I’m not a lover of the first person format, being called ‘stranger’ felt rather uninspiring. I guess I like my central characters to have lives, names and traits of their own, preferably ones more interesting than mine! Plus, it was difficult to engage with the storyline, I found myself in parts feeling apathetic about completing the ‘mystical books.’

And I have to agree with ahefner, I found the interface for the first Sam & Max game irritating, more so than the interface for Grim Fandango. And I can honestly say that no part of Sam & Max actually made me laugh out loud.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #68

I don't think many games have ever made me laugh out loud. The pacing and delivery of the jokes is slightly hampered/corrupted, so there are plenty of funny lines that make me smile, but few that make me laugh.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #69
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
There's a difference between unpopular and just plain crazy opinions ... same goes for presidents, now that I think of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #70
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Remember which forum you're in. This isn't Chit Chat.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #71

Syberia is horrendous. That's my "unpopular" opinion. It's world was so empty and devoid of anything to do, with puzzles that were either super easy or mindnumbingly boring... I couldn't even finish number 1, let alone a sequel.

And this is coming from someone who quite liked Still Life!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #72
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Here are my 2 cents:

Silent Hill games are adventures

and

... mazes in adventuregames are cool
Old 08-08-2007, 04:06 AM   #73
Ronin

I have to concur with the Full Motion Video (FMV) people. Compared to the cheap 3D puppets that dominate today's adventure games, FMV has a starkly realistic effect. With good actors and production values, FMV makes games feel like the real world. Properly done, it can create heart-stopping moments, like the appearance of the little girl in Riven. I'm playing The Sacred Rings right now, and every time a 3D character appears, I cringe.

Maybe that can be my unpopular opinion: 3D rendered humans suck!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Remember which forum you're in. This isn't Chit Chat.
Quote:
I apologize if there is already a similar thread…I’m just curious to see if anyone has any opinions that they believe to be unpopular?
I thought it fits...
Don't take it too seriously...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #75
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
Silent Hill games are adventures
seconded
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 AM   #76
Freeware Co-ordinator

Dale wasn't taking it too seriously but part of his (and my) job is to try to keep threads on track and that includes trying to keep them within the overall forum subject. (as much as possible)

I found Monkey Kombat in MI4 strangely soothing once I'd got a sensible way of recording the various transitions. (Thanks to whoever made the Monkey Kombat chart)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #77
handsome

You want Unpopular? ok then..

Sins of the Fathers is boring as hell.

unlike Beast Within
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow View Post
And you can count me amongst the growing crowd of people that want more FMV in their games. Could somebody please point me to the picket line?
Another infidel here! I've been on a quest to make sure that I have every FMV adventure game ever created added to my game collection.

I really, really liked Arthur's Knights Tales of Chivalry and Arthur's Knights Secrets of Merlin even though the games had a tendency to crash and had some annoying interface problems.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #79
Under pressure.

Sorry for not reading the entire thread, but... Has Myst already been mentioned?

Edit: Never mind!

--Erwin
Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #80
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I quite liked Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!