You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Unpopular Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #41
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Adventure Gamers is less interesting than it used to be.
In what?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #42
The Quiet One

On one of the Gabriel Knight threads, people voted for which GK game was their fav and most people thought 3 was. I can't bring myself to like it and i can't seem to get into it like 1 & 2 (esp. 2). I've made a start on it and i can't be bothered to go any further. Because i've heard it's got a good storyline (and involves vampires ) i'll probably just cheat through it.
I suppose the reasons why i can't get into it as much is cuz of the move to 3D, having to move the camera with the mouse/keyboard (instead of fixed cameras following you) and really weird performance issues that can sour my experience with games (like BS4).

I couldn't really get into Sam & Max Hit the Road and Grim Fandango either when i first played through them. I decided to cheat on them and i've not touched 'em since. I'd say that i enjoyed Grim more than S&M and at some point i'll give 'em another chance.

Syberia 1 was so-so/good in my opinion but like with so many others here i couldn't get into the characters or care about them. I can't even get into The Neverhood either and that'll be another one to add to my 'Walkthrough' list. I'm not annoyed for buying it though, the more rare games i own the better. Only time will tell if i can get into these games/more.

Also, a number of people found BS3 disappointing whereas i enjoy/enjoyed it a lot more than 4. People have complained about the controls but i quite like them and have no problems. I much prefer the controls to BS3 than GK3 and i don't mind the crate moving puzzles either.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #43
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Adventure Gamers is less interesting than it used to be.
le chit chat section's where it's at.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #44
Mean Old Cat

My unpopular opinion has to be that I think both Syberia I and II are so horribly boring that I haven't been able to play even one of them to the end. Uninventive puzzles, lots of empty filler screens, a dull main character and a plot that fails to interest me even in the slightest. It always amazes me that they seem to be so highly praised by other adventure gamers. I just don't understand why.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #45
Banned User

Fienepien:
Hm. I don't think I've ever responded to your threads, but I thought them quite interesting.
Are you crazy, Fienepien! That is not unpopular. I think it may be illegal. But I like your clothes too.

Adventure Gamers just seems to lack edge these days. There used to be a greater variety of features, and greater variety in the views expressed in those features.

But I am probably not part of the intended readership anyway, so as far as criticism goes, this is not exactly devastating!

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFratelli View Post
My unpopular opinion has to be that I think both Syberia I and II are so horribly boring that I haven't been able to play even one of them to the end. Uninventive puzzles, lots of empty filler screens, a dull main character and a plot that fails to interest me even in the slightest. It always amazes me that they seem to be so highly praised by other adventure gamers. I just don't understand why.
I've heard others express that view, so you're not alone. I liked it a lot but I can understand that it's not for everyone.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #47
handsome

yeah MaFratelli is right! So boring that its the only game (besides Myst V: End of Ages, which sucks btw) that i didn't bothered to finish (Syberia II).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #48
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow View Post
I absolutely love the Myst series (is that still a minority opinion on these boards?), and thought Exile was superb. Yes, it was a backwards step from Riven, but what isn't?
Seconded!

I thoroughly enjoy games where I have a world full of puzzles to unlock without a bunch of gabbing characters getting in my way.

I particularly enjoyed Rhem ("Myst for plumbers", as Fairygdmther so eloquently described it ) because it is nothing but puzzles, all of them mechanical, with only the very thinnest of storylines to tie them together.

Lighthouse and Morpheus are two of my favorite games that is certainly an unpopular opinion.

Perhaps my most unpopular opinion is that I strongly prefer first-person perspective in games. I like the immersion in character that it provides, and I genuinely don't understand why anyone would be interested in playing games using third-person perspective. I mean, why would you want to watch someone else do something when you can have the joy of accomplishment that comes from doing it yourself?

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #49

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

I think that MI4 is a horrible game and that the whole "name Quest" series from Sierra sucks beyond belief.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #50
Look behind you!

I HATE Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge. None of it pulled me in like the first game.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #51
Supreme Dictator for Life

Not a big fan of The Longest Journey.

I loved the ending for Black Dahlia.

I didn't really mind all the crate pushing puzzles in BS3
Old 08-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #52
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand maester View Post
I HATE Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge. None of it pulled me in like the first game.
I totally agree!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #53
The Major Grubert.

I. Loved. Uru.

There, I said it.

I also liked Post Mortem.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #54
QFG

Wow, we have some real heretics in here
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
I have no desire for a game to MAKE me play it more than once -- I have better things to do, like play games I've NEVER played before.
Hear! Hear! Everybody keeps banging on about non-linearity and multiple storylines. I want one storyline. I want to be able to see and do everything in one pass through the game.

And yeah, I don't mind dying either, as long as it's not completely random. If you know you're invincible and immortal, where's the tension?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #56

I express my bewilderment as to how The Longest Journey is called a classic when it's sub par in just about every aspect.

EDIT: I too enjoyed Post Mortem. The puzzles may be ridiculous but the story it just more enchanting as the game progresses.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 AM   #57
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand maester View Post
I don't hate Monkey Island 2, i find it to be a very good adventure game, but i have to be honest i do prefer the first one to the second. I heard a number of people here thought the second was the best but... nah, the first one, IMO, is the best (along with 3).

EDIT: I also like MI4 despite a number of folk not liking it very much.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #58

I'm one of those that found Monkey Island 2 the best of the series, but I think it may be because I completed it years before I ever played the first one.

And I may be beaten to a pulp for this but I actually really liked Runaway 1 and 2. I played them before I came onto this site and was actually surprised by how much it was bagged.

And I'm probably one of the rare cases that like majority of 'different' Adventure Games. I don't have a favourite Adventure 'type'.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #59
Grue Master

I liked 'Paradise' and disliked 'Dreamfall'
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #60

- Dreamfall is one of the best adventure games ever
- The controls in Dreamfall/Broken Sword 4/Monkey Island 4/Grim Fandango are good
- Broken Sword 3 is the best Broken Sword game.