You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Unpopular Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
II really, really loved Full Throttle, and didn't think it was too short at all.
People think it's too short!? IMHO it was too long.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
As Fienepien has said re DOTT, why is that? Just saying you hate a game (or even just didn't enjoy it) tells us nothing. What is fascinating is why people like/dislike different games.
re: The Last Express

While it was artistically crafted, I didn't like the real time feature at all. I missed out on much of the story, and when I finally gave up halfway through and used a walkthrough to finish it out, there were long period where I had to pull out a book or a magazine and wait for enough time to pass to move on. Equal parts boring and frustrating. I have no desire for a game to MAKE me play it more than once -- I have better things to do, like play games I've NEVER played before.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #23

Quote:
I'd say something about absolutely loving Richard Longhurst and the Box That Ate Time, but that's not an unpopular opinion at all.
Well, if it's more unpopular to say that you hate the game, then I say it.
I remember the game too well. After I played through it, I still felt sick the whole day long.
It had some very original ideas, but the delivery was terrible. I like the VPET games, though.

Oh, and I agree with the whole death and dead ends thing.
But they shouldn't be random, especially dead ends. For example, you should have a clue when you have to take items with you.
Like in the Realm of Death, that you have to take the glove from the knight because he lies in your way. Or you have to take the mechanical nightingale into the castle, because you think you could somehow need it.
I mean, Cassima has a real one.
And when the winged ones said that you should prepare for the catacombs, then you better should try to pick up everything you find.
But some dead ends were silly. I mean, why did the skeleton key from the guard in the Death Realm fit into the lock of the chest in the castle on the Green Isle? The connection makes no sense!
But there should be obvious hints that you could get stuck from now on. There wasn't one for the castle, but one for the catacombs.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
(...)and there was this horrible bike-fight I hardly could handle(...)
Shes right, I hated that part, the 1st bike-fight was fun (to see Ben fall over and over again ) but then it was just . The game wasnt long or short, imo it was just fine.
Quote:
I didn't think Sam & Max Hit the Road was all that great, at least in comparison to the other Lucas games of its time. Mind you, I don't think Sam & Max are all that awesome as characters in and of themselves.
Imo they are the best awesome chars, the only problem is that the game is too short. Many say that the game is difficult but i think it was one of the easiest adventure games ive ever played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
As Fienepien has said re DOTT, why is that? Just saying you hate a game (or even just didn't enjoy it) tells us nothing. What is fascinating is why people like/dislike different games.
(I just said it as overrated) The humor. It was rarely amusing\fun, it was just ... stupid (too stupid to be funny) (IMHO) Most reviews say that its hilarious, Secret of M.I. or Sam & Max had hilarious moments, not DOTT.
And the intro, what so special about it? This site " Top 20 Adventures of All-Time" has DOTT in 1st place, now thats what i call hilarious.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Oh? Why?

Yes, I'm interested.
This old post is mainly about MI2, but it sums up pretty well the problems I had with DOTT when it comes to the puzzles, lack of plot, and the humour.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #26
Lovable rogue

I didn't find the Monkey Island games funny.

*gasp*

I absolutely love the first two Monkey Island games, and have played through them multiple times, but I honestly have no memory of ever laughing out loud whilst playing them.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #27
handsome

At least a smile, no ?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I don't get what the fuss is over California red wines...

Wait, ooooh. Games, right.

I too have replayed Journey to the Center of the Earth (because I liked the story and setting).

Having played many of the LucasArts adventures (and liking them), I think their brilliance™ is overrated. I think they are engaging, wonderful to look at, and have fun and unique premises, but I found quite a few of the puzzles to be incredibly frustrating. Some of them I figured out, but there were others that I knew what I needed to do, but actually figuring out how the developers wanted me to do it was another thing. Wandering around stuck because you missed going to the next screen is another thing. I think a lot of things (mentioned earlier) can be taken from those games and used as examples of what draws people in but I don't think they're the be-all and end-all of what an adventure game should be.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #29
Dread Pirate

I think King's Quest 7 is a hundred times better than King's Quest 6.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #30
Retired Buccaneer

The ending of Monkey Island 2 is massively overrated. Oh, and it's also a horrible cliche.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
QFG

Quote:
The ending of Monkey Island 2 is massively overrated. Oh, and it's also a horrible cliche.
I think that's a pretty popular opinion.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #32

Sam & Max: Not funny. It was a chore to play through the first game having to put up with their "dark" humour. I can see why people might enjoy them, but they totally missed the mark for me.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #33
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
Also Escape From Monkey Island was my second favorite in the MI series, and I liked Monkey Kombat.
I too thought Monkey 4 was great (possibly beaten by Monkey 3 though). I loved Monkey Kombat and the Mists o' Time.

I absolutely love the Myst series (is that still a minority opinion on these boards?), and thought Exile was superb. Yes, it was a backwards step from Riven, but what isn't?

The Longest Journey was a huge disappointment and is one of the most tedious games I've ever played. And the much-praised story is vastly overrated - derivative and arbitrary are a couple of adjectives that spring to mind.

And you can count me amongst the growing crowd of people that want more FMV in their games. Could somebody please point me to the picket line?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #34

Well, I'd appreciate some dead ends or deaths too. But hero shouldn't die too many times (because after dozen or so I just don't care). And yes, (not long) after doing something, which makes finishing the game impossible, player should be informed about it.

But well instead of dead end I'd rather like that after wrong decision the game offers player another, harder way to reach the goal. Especially I don't like dialogs in adventure games, where I can (and sometimes have to) choose every dialog line without consequences. Even if I choose wrong one, in a minute I can choose totally different and NPC won't see anything weird in it.

And I think that there is nothing wrong in timed sequences. When you meet a monster it shouldn’t wait too long to kill you. If it does the game loose its atmosphere.

I'd also like FMV games (and games with FMV cut-scenes). It makes "suspension of disbelief" a lot easier. And there are really good FMV adventures (GK2, Black Dahlia, Ripper or Dark Side of the Moon). I'm really looking forward to playing translated version of Yoomurjak's Ring.
BTW. A few days ago I also found info about Fate by Numbers, which first episode is free.

I don't think Schizm is too hard. I'd like hard games, even if I can't solve some puzzles (as long as they are logical enough, that after using walkthrough I can say: "O.K. it's my fault not to think about it"). If I manage to beat them I have real satisfaction (I don't have feeling that I've just clicked by interactive movie). I also like if I have to have some knowledge from outside of game (if it's clear I should look for it - to translate a Latin sentence for example).

And Siberia was the first adventure game, which disappoint me so much. It was short, without real end, very easy, with uninteresting and cliché dialogs, and heroes (Oscar as well as Kate) I don't like, and don't care about.
Only Valadilane has atmosphere I appreciated.

I'm not sure if it’s unpopular but I'd also like when the game makes it possible to do a lot of things, which aren't necessary to finish it. Looking at paintings in the hero's home, talking to people, taking unimportant things... It feels more like a real world then.

And... I'm sick and tired of saving the world
Old 08-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow View Post
The Longest Journey was a huge disappointment and is one of the most tedious games I've ever played. And the much-praised story is vastly overrated - derivative and arbitrary are a couple of adjectives that spring to mind.
I'm in two minds about TLJ. On the one hand, it started out excellently and had a story that really engaged me.

On the other hand, there was so much tedious backstory (visiting a library? I mean, really...) that by the end I was almost skipping through the dialogue. I think I still enjoyed the game overall, but it could have been so much better than that.

Dreamfall seems to be much better in this regard, at least in the part I've played through so far.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #36
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
This old post is mainly about MI2, but it sums up pretty well the problems I had with DOTT when it comes to the puzzles, lack of plot, and the humour.
Humor is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I'd say that plot and humor have the same kind of negative correlation in adventures that non-linearity and plot/story have. Where's the plot in Duckman, Gilbert Goodmate, Touche, Toonstruck, even my beloved Discworld, the list is endless.

Except Grim perhaps. And eh... just maybe the Feeble Files, although it also has a much darker side... and probably a few others I don't recall at the moment.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #37
Banned User

Adventure Gamers is less interesting than it used to be.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
Also it seems like quite a few people don't like keyboard control, but I don't mind it at all. Controls don't matter as much to me.
I've never had a problem with keyboard control's either. I also have no problem with sound puzzles, although I accept that both of these factors can legitimately render a game impossible for some.

I suppose it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I wish game developers would forget that the Monkey Island games exist. Yeah, they're great, but they've inadvertently become a sticking point in adventure game production. So many companies seem content to forever live in its shadow.

Okay, we know you love it, but now make something entirely original!

It's the same in lots of forms of media these days. Comic book writers of the past, say, drew their influences from fairytales, folklore, political history, anarchist writers, ancient religions etc. These days, comic book writers tend to draw their main influences from the comic book writers of the past, creating an inferior and bastardised product. There's a severely reduced and restricted field of ideas.

I'll also still play games that don't have a character hilariously called Guywood Threepbrush or three headed monkey references. I became sick of the in-jokes and references long ago.

Oh, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I make an exception for people who say they liked Dreamfall. That is not a valid opinion. I decree it. It has been decreed.

Last edited by noknowncure; 08-05-2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Decrees
Old 08-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #39

I loved the first half of Dreamfall. It stopped to be good when you got into this underground cave with April.
After that it seemed to be endless walking mixed with monotonous dialogue.
And some puzzle solutions were just ridiculous. The escape from the prison....really. Those...two guards? And the security was unbelievable since they let you in with a sandwich...
I hade the same impression after the second playthrough.
It wasn't very original either. Everyone who knows the Ring might have felt a deja vu while playing the game...

The unoriginality in some parts wouldn't have been a problem for me since it was very original in other ones (the whole story from Faith, the conclusion).
But since it felt so constructed and unmotivated in the last half it was one of the most disappointing games I ever played.
Would the rest have been enganging as the first part then it would have probably been one of my favorite games.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:12 AM   #40
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Adventure Gamers is less interesting than it used to be.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com
Hm. I don't think I've ever responded to your threads, but I thought them quite interesting.