You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 3rd/1st Person Adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #1

Default 3rd/1st Person Adventures

Does anyone have any idea why 1st person adventures seem to be just about the only adventure games made anymore, and 3rd persons have become less and less common?

I don't know what it is, but I just cannot get into first person adventures, particularly as they are almost always CG and not illustrated.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yixian View Post
Does anyone have any idea why 1st person adventures seem to be just about the only adventure games made anymore, and 3rd persons have become less and less common?
Because you are not looking hard enough? Of the 53 commercial games released in 2006 and 2007 and reviewed by AG so far, the majority (30, if I counted corrently) were 3rd person.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #3

yep, I also see more 3rd person adventures than 1st. to bad MYST had to go out with such a crappy 3D crappysack. sometimes it's better to just let go i suppose

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #4

I thought Myst V was pretty interesting. Of course, I didn't finish it yet... and my major complaint is the lack of live actors (although those 3D models have something eerily alive about them). You can even play it with a similar non-free camera interface as the older games. Sure, Myst IV looked way better and that's a shame, but for a 3D game, Myst V wasn't bad.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #5

MYST V goes into the bunch that if it wouldn't have been MYST I would have liked it game. Myst was always beautyful prerendered BG with some videos (besides REAL MYST) and it would have been nice to go out that way. but they decided to go all URU +/- on us which i didn't consider to be MYST.
I probably gonna play it in a year or two and will think "hey, it's pretty neat" but as of now i still think they did the wrong decision to go 3D on a MYST game.

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Because you are not looking hard enough? Of the 53 commercial games released in 2006 and 2007 and reviewed by AG so far, the majority (30, if I counted corrently) were 3rd person.
53 commercial adventure games between 2006 and 2007?
I seem to have missed a lot of them.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
53 commercial adventure games between 2006 and 2007?
I seem to have missed a lot of them.
If you (or anyone else) wants to see what 53 games AFGNCAAP is referring to then go to the Reviews Page Click "All" and "release date" The top 53 (at time of posting) titles are all from 2006 and 2007.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
If you (or anyone else) wants to see what 53 games AFGNCAAP is referring to then go to the Reviews Page Click "All" and "release date" The top 53 (at time of posting) titles are all from 2006 and 2007.
Has this whole thread just been a ruthless advertising scheme? It's an outrage! Although, when I'm outraged, nothing calms my temper like a frosty glass of Pepsi. Pepsi - it doesn't cause Dyspepsia.

The new slogan needs a bit of work.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I'm not impressed. That list includes at least 10 games that are only commercial in the sense that the developer is asking for money for them, as well as 7 games that are only "episodes," and a Steam-only game as well as some kid's games. Three of the other games aren't computer games and three more are rereleases of previously released games. All that kind of cuts into what I think of as "53 commercial games released between 2006 and 2007."
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
I'm not impressed. That list includes at least 10 games that are only commercial in the sense that the developer is asking for money for them
Is there some other sense of the word "commercial" that I'm not aware of?

I assume that it's a dig at the indie releases that have come out of the Underground scene, but by no count can I make those add up to ten.

Quote:
as well as 7 games that are only "episodes," and a Steam-only game as well as some kid's games. Three of the other games aren't computer games and three more are rereleases of previously released games. All that kind of cuts into what I think of as "53 commercial games released between 2006 and 2007."
Some of the best adventure game titles of recent years have been Nintendo DS releases. If you think that's a reason to be unimpressed just because you don't classify a DS as a "computer", that's your own problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Some of the best adventure game titles of recent years have been Nintendo DS releases. If you think that's a reason to be unimpressed just because you don't classify a DS as a "computer", that's your own problem.
There's Phoenix Wright and what else? Playing Another Code was the most tedious thing ever. What I played of the story and dialog was like another indie/ fangame, from what I've read about Hotel Dusk it's quite limited and more of an interactive noval, and Touch Detective doesn't really know what audience it's targeting (according to the review on this site anyway).

Yes, I consider the DS a console, but don't consider it a console with more than one decent adventure.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamisoriX View Post
Myst was always beautyful prerendered BG with some videos (besides REAL MYST) and it would have been nice to go out that way.
I would have really liked to see what would have happened if they took the Myst IV formula to the next level. I mean, Myst IV is already the most beautiful game I have ever seen in my life and far from the static slide show of the first games. Dynamic lighting, depth of field effects, interaction with the environment, plenty of animation in each scene, live actors... no 3D engine can come close, no matter what some people say to me.

I wonder what Myst V would've looked like if they used pre-rendered graphics... maybe we'd be able to move forward to the next node fully animated, with environmental animations still intact. Have an even more interactive environment and more freedom. Next-gen panoramic imaging. Oh, well.

Now I went off-topic, again.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

As far as 3D environments go I find MystOnline / Uru pretty neat. It looks better than Dreamfall or the Dead Reefs demo I just tried, and it needs a very moderate graphics card compared to those two. In many places you can get really close to objects or walls and still see details. And, to get back on topic, I like the fact that you can change between first and third person view a lot. BTW, can anyone explain to me what second person view looks like?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
BTW, can anyone explain to me what second person view looks like?
Like this?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
Ronin

I thought second person was more like this:

You are standing in front of a white house to the east. There is a small mailbox nearby.

> open mailbox
Old 07-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
BTW, can anyone explain to me what second person view looks like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Like this?
O boy am I looking forward to that one!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #17

I read IGN and Kotaku mostly, and I'm talking abut adventure games of sufficient size and production values to be mentioned there. All I see if first persons like Barrow Hill.

And nothing is illustrated anymore

DS is a different story, but I just wish for a HD, illustrated 3rd person adventure for something like the PS3, or just the PC.

The real Broken Sword 3 if you will.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yixian View Post
I read IGN and Kotaku mostly, and I'm talking abut adventure games of sufficient size and production values to be mentioned there. All I see if first persons like Barrow Hill.
Well, considering that this is a site devoted solely to adventure games, it stands to reason that we would cover a lot more of the games in that genre than IGN and Kotaku. If we only concentrated on what the more general video game sites covered, we'd be doing adventure game players a disservice, I believe.

Most of the people who visit Adventure Gamers also have a much different criteria for assessing whether a game is worth their consideration (such as gameplay, storyline, interface, etc.) rather than on what site it appears.

Last edited by Melanie68; 07-18-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Is there some other sense of the word "commercial" that I'm not aware of?
A game that's published by a company. A game that can be bought somewhere other than the developer's website.

Quote:
I assume that it's a dig at the indie releases that have come out of the Underground scene,
It's not a dig. It's a comment. Mainly due to the length of the game and the quality of the graphics, which look homegrown rather than professionally produced. These games tend to be closer to hobbyist games that are free than to games that end up being published commercially.

Quote:
but by no count can I make those add up to ten.
Blackwell Legacy, The
Force Majeure II: The Zone
Intrigue at Oakhaven Plantation
Lunar Deep
Scavenger Hunter
Shivah, The
Sterling's Gift
Tears of Betrayal
Time Stand Still - A Carol Reed Mystery
Victi: Blood Bitterness

Quote:
I'm unimpressed with the number of commercial PC releases that you claimed. They don't come out to anywhere near "53 commercially produced adventure games," which is how I was reading what you wrote. This has nothing to do with whether the DS games are good are not. A game is simply not PC games if it's only made for a console or handheld. You can't play them on what people think of as a computer.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Well, considering that this is a site devoted solely to adventure games, it stands to reason that we would cover a lot more of the games in that genre than IGN and Kotaku. If we only concentrated on what the more general video game sites covered, we'd be doing adventure game players a disservice, I believe.

Most of the people who visit Adventure Gamers also have a much different criteria for assessing whether a game is worth their consideration (such as gameplay, storyline, interface, etc.) rather than on what site it appears.
I had to quote this and say that this is exactly why I'm glad that I found this site. I see reviews for games here and sites like Quandary or Four Fat Chicks and they look at adventure games totally different from general game sites like IGN and GameSpot. If you want good advise on anything, go to someone who knows what he's talking about. The more specific the better. Also, I've got to know so many games that I had never heard or read about by just going through the reviews and forum posts here. Such a value.