You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Adventure Game I most want to play...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #1

Default The Adventure Game I most want to play...

but doesn't exist.

For me, I want an open sandbox world like Grand Theft Auto III or Crackdown. The player is a PI or Police Detective. You get assignments or take cases and you have to find your own way around town to talk to people and gather information. If you are a detective, you visit the crime scene, the coroner's office and the station house. Additional mission packs or episodes expand on the world map, making previously unaccessible areas available and adding new places to explore. Both the exterior and the interior of important buildings would be rendered so that you can canvas an apartment building, for example, to find witnesses to the crime.

Comment on this idea or talk about what you most want to see in an Adventure Game but hasn't been done yet. Maybe we can get some ideas going for developers out there.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #2

I remember years ago looking at a Discworld online game site that let you choose the character [from the books] that you wanted to play and they gave you missions to complete, I never played but I like your idea maybe a Sims setting [I only ever played the one where you start off with a planet and have to change the climate to get the creatures to rise from the oceans and eventually become humans]...I really like the expansion pack idea.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #3

how about a game with some common ambientation, like a high school, college, work...and your a looser and have to evolve your character in different ways...becomes a bully, nerd, pothead, depends of your decision etc etc...or the same in the work enviroment...

Maybe some like 80s kind of clint eastwood, charles bronson kind of leading role, your an alcoholic, divorced, broke, and middle aged dude, that 20 years ago was the best detective in L.A... now you have nothing, but then you get a lead from a stoner friend of yours, and get in a very big case...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #4

You can't be too opened ended and given too much freedom in a huge area like GTA in an adventure game , it will crossover to the genre of a RPG game. There's always a thin line between RPG & Adventure.
I think that adventure games tends to be a bit slightly more linear (there might be different ways of solving problems) and have more structure so that it can move the story along.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Kung Fu Code Poet

Yeah, adventure games tend to have less actual adventuring than RPGs do.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Yeah, adventure games tend to have less actual adventuring than RPGs do.
But, you could combine a strong, linear, plot to follow with a RPG-like surrounding to "enrich" the underlying story. I'm no expert in RPGs (due to lack of time, mostly), but I think this line has been explored from the RPG side, via "quests". From the AG side, perhaps Blade Runner pointed in this direction.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
Kung Fu Code Poet

I totally agree. It'd be nice to just be in a living world and be a part of it while you solve a mystery, get involved in some side-plots et al. Kinda-of like with RPGs, but without the fighting. There was another thread on AG with this topic.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Ronin

I think that's what URU Live is all about. Are you playing it?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'd like a decent horror/paranormal/supernatural series of AGs, like Silent Hill, but with conversation trees and the like.
So far, the closest I've seen is the Ben Jordan series, and the DeFoe quadrilogy.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I want to play Waking Life in game form. Hopefully someday I'll get to develop such a game.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #11

Has anyone here read Abarat by Clive Barker?
I would absolutely LOVE to play a game set in the Abarat world.
It would be great to see the different islands come to life and just go around exploring and solving some sort of mystery while at the same time having multiple endings available and being able to align yourself with multiple different factions; good, bad, inbetween, etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #12

Basically a game with the amount of depth, class, sophistication and intelligence of something like Planescape Torment (but this as a full fledged none-combat adventure)

Another Gabriel Knight game :p

An adventure game set in the world of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King
Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
but doesn't exist.

For me, I want an open sandbox world like Grand Theft Auto III or Crackdown. The player is a PI or Police Detective.
You get assignments or take cases and you have to find your own way around town to talk to people and gather information. If you are a detective, you visit the crime scene, the coroner's office and the station house. Additional mission packs or episodes expand on the world map, making previously unaccessible areas available and adding new places to explore. Both the exterior and the interior of important buildings would be rendered so that you can canvas an apartment building, for example, to find witnesses to the crime.

Comment on this idea or talk about what you most want to see in an Adventure Game but hasn't been done yet. Maybe we can get some ideas going for developers out there.

But done that already,calls MAFIA THE GAME CITY Of LOST HEAVEN
Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #14

An adventure game that hasn't got any (and I mean any) generic responses. Specifically I mean that when you use any item on any item/game world thing, you get a different and unique response from the game character (regarding description etc...). Of course this response can be repeated if the action is repeated, but things like "That doesn't work", "These objects don't mix", "What are you doing" etc... are banned!

I can't recall a single point&click adventure that does this.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #15

i found myself in youtube something interesting...regarding the norwegian black metal scene in the 90s they were like satanic, and burned churches, and even some murders ocurred...how about a game that uses that reference instead of dracula, egypt, wolfs...etc.etcc...how about a game like about a reporter, undercover police, etc etc...that gets too deep in that scene!!! in norway... with black metal...and satanists...etc...like a gabriel knight, broken sword...but in that aproach...

!yes i know its bizarre but im tired of the same issues in mistery, creepy adventure games...i need something like this...even comercially speaking i think it would make an impact, because of the tematic!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplaneswalker View Post
An adventure game that hasn't got any (and I mean any) generic responses. ... I can't recall a single point&click adventure that does this.
Do you have any idea of what kind of programming that would take? I met a guy who was doing this kind of research for his PhD Thesis in AI. Not trivial at all. The idea was to create a world so entangled that the player's experience could not be anticipated, and could even result in stories not foreseen by the programmer. Of course, it was all text. If you want graphics, it's harder. If you want voice acting on top of that... For the time being, Planescape Torment seems good enough (man, I have to get that game!).

About the metal death scene, sounds good. So, these people claim to be in touch with the Devil, of course it's all fake, but then you dig deeper and it's not. Very GK1.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #17

Planescape is one of my favorite games, the idea sounds very interesting (and a little scary as well). But basically, if you want games to evolve from the linear isn't this the way to go ?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplaneswalker View Post
An adventure game that hasn't got any (and I mean any) generic responses. Specifically I mean that when you use any item on any item/game world thing, you get a different and unique response from the game character (regarding description etc...). Of course this response can be repeated if the action is repeated, but things like "That doesn't work", "These objects don't mix", "What are you doing" etc... are banned!

I can't recall a single point&click adventure that does this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
Do you have any idea of what kind of programming that would take? I met a guy who was doing this kind of research for his PhD Thesis in AI. Not trivial at all.
It's actually very simple to program, it's just a lot of text to write for something that doesn't really increase immersion that much. If you have a game with 50 inventory items and 500 hotspots, that's

50*50 + 50*500 = 27 500

lines of dialogue just to cover attempts to use different items on each other or on the environment. If you're also going to provide unique responses to several different verbs for all of those things, say Look At, Use, Push, Pull, Pick Up and Talk To, that's another

(500 + 50) * 5 = 2 750

lines. And you would still get the same response every time you repeatedly tried something, so even with thirty thousand unique lines of dialogue it still wouldn't seem realistic.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #19

I thought Sanitarium almost played like an RPG, but was a real adventure game. It has the same isometric Baldur's Gate feel. Very interesting, that.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
It's actually very simple to program, it's just a lot of text to write for something that doesn't really increase immersion that much. If you have a game with 50 inventory items and 500 hotspots, that's

50*50 + 50*500 = 27 500

lines of dialogue just to cover attempts to use different items on each other or on the environment. If you're also going to provide unique responses to several different verbs for all of those things, say Look At, Use, Push, Pull, Pick Up and Talk To, that's another

(500 + 50) * 5 = 2 750

lines. And you would still get the same response every time you repeatedly tried something, so even with thirty thousand unique lines of dialogue it still wouldn't seem realistic.
Indeed, that's what I thought, but realism aside, I think a game like this would make the obligatory use everything on everything adventure strategy a little more fun don't you think ;-)