View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplaneswalker View Post
An adventure game that hasn't got any (and I mean any) generic responses. Specifically I mean that when you use any item on any item/game world thing, you get a different and unique response from the game character (regarding description etc...). Of course this response can be repeated if the action is repeated, but things like "That doesn't work", "These objects don't mix", "What are you doing" etc... are banned!

I can't recall a single point&click adventure that does this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
Do you have any idea of what kind of programming that would take? I met a guy who was doing this kind of research for his PhD Thesis in AI. Not trivial at all.
It's actually very simple to program, it's just a lot of text to write for something that doesn't really increase immersion that much. If you have a game with 50 inventory items and 500 hotspots, that's

50*50 + 50*500 = 27 500

lines of dialogue just to cover attempts to use different items on each other or on the environment. If you're also going to provide unique responses to several different verbs for all of those things, say Look At, Use, Push, Pull, Pick Up and Talk To, that's another

(500 + 50) * 5 = 2 750

lines. And you would still get the same response every time you repeatedly tried something, so even with thirty thousand unique lines of dialogue it still wouldn't seem realistic.