You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Time for a new community playthrough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #381
The Quiet One

Funny, I was thinking about when the next community playthrough would be and what it would involve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I don't really mind what we do but will offer my services for a Broken Sword playthrough if anyone is interested.
Hell yeah, I'd be up for that! I've had cravings to give the Broken Sword games a replay for a while now. But I wanna resist the urge until I get the Director's Cut on PC. That'd be a perfect excuse to give it a replay.

One game I was thinking about, when I wondered when the next playthrough would be, was The Longest Journey.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #382

No offence meant now, but... thank goodness the Gabriel Knight playthroughs are finally over. I've been patiently lurking here since GK1 started, waiting for another community playthrough.

I'd enjoy both The Longest Journey and Sanitarium. TLJ is not that dark, so maybe it's the better choice to follow Gabriel Knight.

I tried to look up the previous playthroughs, and came across a thread about The Space Bar. I've never been able to finish it, so I'd like to throw in a vote for it. Only problem is, it might be difficult to find a copy if you don't have it and want to participate.

Or maybe one of the Journeyman Project games? I still haven't played the third one.

Last edited by harald; 08-01-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Small typo that annoyed me
Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #383
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
No offence meant now, but... thank goodness the Gabriel Knight playthroughs are finally over. I've been patiently lurking here since GK1 started, waiting for another community playthrough.

I'd enjoy both The Longest Journey and Sanitarium. TLJ is not that dark, so maybe it's the better choice to follow Gabriel Knight.

I tried to look up the previous playthrough, and came across a thread about The Space Bar. I've never been able to finish it, so I'd like to throw in a vote for it. Only problem is, it might be difficult to find a copy if you don't have it and want to participate.

Or maybe one of the Journeyman Project games? I still haven't played the third one.
Oooooh I vote for Legacy of Time! I've been meaning to replay it so I could actually finish it. Buried in Time would be good, but I need to wait til I can get a hold of Win98 for Virtual PC. I'd be happy to actually participate in a playthrough!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #384
Senior *female* member

Buried in Time is available at GOG.com. Just $5.99 and made fully compatible with XP and Vista. Works fine on my machine. Apparently, it is technically very hard, if not impossible, to play the first Journeyman game on XP etcetera, but they might release Legacy of Time in the hopefully not too distant future too.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #385
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Buried in Time is available at GOG.com. Just $5.99 and made fully compatible with XP and Vista. Works fine on my machine. Apparently, it is technically very hard, if not impossible, to play the first Journeyman game on XP etcetera, but they might release Legacy of Time in the hopefully not too distant future too.
Thanks for the info, Fien Pity is, I not long ago bought it from the UK and got it shipped over. I know 6 bucks doesn't seem like much, but part of me doesn't want to pay more to play it Of course, if I can't get a hold of windows98 it may be my only hope!

Last edited by skeeter_93; 08-01-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #386

Do we have any volunteer leaders for the Journeyman games? If not, maybe we should stick to Sanitarium, TLJ or Broken Sword.

Will there be a vote sometime soon? Or am I jumping the gun and we should wait until the end of summer?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Do we have any volunteer leaders for the Journeyman games? If not, maybe we should stick to Sanitarium, TLJ or Broken Sword.

Will there be a vote sometime soon? Or am I jumping the gun and we should wait until the end of summer?
Well for the last 3 listed there I wouldn't mind either - haven't played Sanitarium, still never finished TLJ (I know, I know, I've tried a few times but a playthrough would force me to finish it!), and well I'm always up for Broken Sword. It's just so gosh darn awesome...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #388

Should I participate, it would only be for TLJ since I don't have the other games (well, I do have Sleeping Dragon on PS2, but I believe that's only the third game in the series?).

TLJ is one massive game, which can easily be divided into chapters for the playthrough, but it could still take a long time to finish one chapter. But it is a beautiful game and I really like being immersed in it.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #389
Failed Birthday Elf

OK, well we have 3 playthroughs on the table so far, anyone else want to offer one or shall we take a vote on what we've got and go for it?

Lets get stuck in!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #390

I'm replaying Dreamfall at the moment, and I can't help but think that it would be great playthrough material (not too huge, divided into chapters, lots of stuff to discuss, old enough for people to want to replay it now, recent enough that they probably haven't done so already, available on Steam for those who don't have it...). I couldn't host a playthrough of it though, unfortunately, being rather busy at the moment, but maybe someone would be interested.

(Also, collective playthrough of Dreamfall means Faith drinking game!)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #391

This may sound noobish, but I read the beginning of this forum and can't get my head round this community playthrough. Could someone lay it on me in layman's terms

Also, I vote for Dreamfall, not long started that game again. I have it for the Xbox
Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #392
Freeware Co-ordinator

Community playthrough in layman's terms.

We decide on a game we will play at the same time.

Someone volunteers to take charge.

The game is split into manageable chunks. This makes completely non-linear games unsuitable for playthroughs as you can't define chunks. You'd have to play the whole thing at once which defeates the object.

The playthrough kicks off and everyone plays chunk one (A game day in Gabriel Knight. A Chapter in Monkey Island. However it has been split) Everyone then posts their thoughts on that chunk and discuss each others thoughts.

After a period of time (a few days normally) the person running the playthrough gives the go-ahead to play the next chunk. Then see previous paragraph.

Repeat until game completed followed by comments on final section and game overall.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #393
Pixiehunter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the idea that when we do a TLJ (or BS to a lesser extent) playthrough, many/most participants will already have played it through at least once, and from the GK1 and 2 playthrough I got the impression that with only a few new players the pacing gets a bit off (new players take way more time than those who played it before, leading to them having to wait relatively long, whereas the new players start feeling rushed), and I have the idea that it results in less discussions about what exactly is going on.

But, again, correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't participated in many playthroughs yet, and it may also be hugely dependent on the participants and the game itself.

That said, I do agree with a lighter game after the darker ones of the previous playthroughs.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #394

You have a point. I think this will be the case with whatever game you eventually choose for a playthrough. Unless you take a brand new game, just released, and personally I'd rather play through a new game for the first time by myself, on my own pace.

It would also be hard to organise a new game playthrough, because you don't know how long is it, how it could be divided into sections, and I think a lot of things will be missed because of the feeling of being rushed. You need at least one person to have gone through it all before and to point out the points of interest.

I enjoy these playthroughs to revisit a favorite game and discover new things about it. And even if I don't meet the deadline for the next part, I can still talk about it from memory, without fear of spoilers. A playthrough of a new game also loses its challenge, because if you're really stuck you can get the answers here (or else get left behind).

Another solution is going the other way with a true classic everyone is familiar with, but because of different age groups I doubt such a game truly exists. And if it does, everybody has probably played it to death, which makes yet another playthrough of it not as appealing.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #395
Failed Birthday Elf

*beep* *beep*
*beep* *beep*

CLEAR

*bssssssssswiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzz THUMP*

COME ON PLAYTHROUGH, DON'T DIE ON ME!

*beep* *beep*

I STILL HAVEN'T MANAGED TO PLAY SANITARIUM OR TLJ PAST THE INTRO!

*beep* *beep*

HANG ON IN THERE!

CLEAR

*bssssssssswiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzz THUMP*

Anyone still interested?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #396
Senior *female* member

AFGNCAAP: Sanitarium (host)
Intense Degree: Sanitarium - Broken Sword (host) - TLJ
Stepurhan: Sanitarium
Gazzoid: Broken Sword - TLJ
Harald: TLJ - Sanitarium - Space Bar - Journeyman Project 2/3
Skeeter: Journeyman Project 2/3
Sughly: Sanitarium - Broken Sword - TLJ
Little Writer: TLJ
Kurufinwe: Dreamfall
Pandaara: Dreamfall
Seagul: Sanitarium
Jelena: Sanitarium

Sanitarium - 7
TLJ - 5
BS - 3
Dreamfall - 2
JP - 1
Space Bar - 1

Last edited by Fien; 08-13-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #397

A new playthrough: a wonderfull idea!
I have a copy of all the games mentioned.
I would take part on every playthrough (if i can install the game on my computer), because it is always an interesting experience.
But i prefer Sanitarium.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #398
Lazy Bee

Hrm....I just might join if you choose Sanitarium. At least if the playthrough is played in a moderate pace. I don't have much time for gaming nowadays.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #399
Freeware Co-ordinator

There is a patch for Sanitarium that fixes the XP issue for the early edition (as well as a bug that stops you entering some areas in chapter 2) It can be obtained here. It's an executable zip file but you need make sure it extracts to your game install folder.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #400
Life and times of...

The only one I might participate in (from the list of most mentioned) would be TLJ or Dreamfall (though perhaps to a lesser extent - it's on the 'Box and I'm not always sure how I can access that). However, I've never properly been able to participate anyways as my studies take just too much time, so my thoughts shouldn't really matter that much. And soon I'll have enough to play with a few releases this fall I'm going to get too Still, if you choose like TLJ, I'll at least try...