You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Time for a new community playthrough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #401

Hey if I can, I'll transfer my vote to The Longest Journey. I'm in the mood for a lengthy, well written story game and the Longest Journey is just ace.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #402
Failed Birthday Elf

Looks like it's fairly tight at the top between Sanitarium and TLJ.

Do we have any volunteers to lead a TLJ playthrough before we go any further?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #403
Senior *female* member

AFGNCAAP: Sanitarium (host)
Intense Degree: Sanitarium - Broken Sword (host) - TLJ
Stepurhan: Sanitarium
Gazzoid: Broken Sword - TLJ
Harald: TLJ - Sanitarium - Space Bar - Journeyman Project 2/3
Skeeter: Journeyman Project 2/3
Sughly: Sanitarium - Broken Sword - TLJ
Little Writer: TLJ
Kurufinwe: Dreamfall
Pandaara: TLJ
Seagul: Sanitarium
Jelena: Sanitarium

Sanitarium - 7
TLJ - 6
BS - 3
Dreamfall - 1
JP - 1
Space Bar - 1
Old 08-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #404
Dungeon Master

So I guess I should start mentally preparing to that whole hosting thing?

By the way, I'd be up for aforementioned Journeyman Project series and Space Bar, too, both of which I own but regrettably haven't played, but aren't they quite non-linear (plus doesn't the latter have some sort of time/turn limit on the whole game, or am I making that up)?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #405
Senior *female* member

You have all the time in the world during the flashbacks when you morph into one of Space Bar's bizarre creatures, but the rest of the game is timed in the turn-based way of the old text adventures. I loved it, very funny game, incredibly hard in places and the whole timing thing makes it even harder. And frustrating. Going back and replaying parts is inevitable, unless you keep a walkthrough within arm's reach. Definitely worth playing, but not really suited for a community playthrough IMO.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #406

I'd say we go with TLJ since we already have a host and it will be a good contrast to Gabriel Knight (I suppose; I've only played about half of the first one). Also, at least one (Little Writer) said it's the only game they'd be interested in, which means we'd lose at least one participant if we did something else.

And about the Space Bar: I was thinking that the host could decide the order in which to play the flashbacks. That way we'd avoid most (if not all) of the dead ends where you can't win the game. And since the only way of determining the best order is trial and error, it wouldn't exactly spoil any puzzles or anything. Although the game would indeed lose some of its old-school "charm" if you want to call it that. I personally don't care to much for that kind of game design, but everything else in the game is so good I figured we'd be doing people a favour by making the game more accessible.

So as long as there was interest, I'm sure it would be possible. Interested in hosting, Fien?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #407
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
I'd say we go with TLJ since we already have a host
I don't think we already have a host for TLJ.

Quote:
And about the Space Bar: I was thinking that the host could decide the order in which to play the flashbacks. That way we'd avoid most (if not all) of the dead ends where you can't win the game. And since the only way of determining the best order is trial and error, it wouldn't exactly spoil any puzzles or anything. Although the game would indeed lose some of its old-school "charm" if you want to call it that. I personally don't care to much for that kind of game design, but everything else in the game is so good I figured we'd be doing people a favour by making the game more accessible.

So as long as there was interest, I'm sure it would be possible. Interested in hosting, Fien?
Yes, I agree the Space Bar is far too obscure and we would be doing people a favor. And yes, it's possible to avoid most dead ends if you have a good grasp of the game. Which I haven't. I'd enjoy playing the game again with you and any other interested participants. But I don't want to host it, sorry. I couldn't. It's too long ago, I don't remember the correct order of doing things anymore. It was to a large extent trial and error + walkthrough for me.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #408

Ah yes, the playthrough... I do recall being a bit of a fence sitter with my vote but I would particularly like to play TLJ seeing as I haven't as yet. This may be the push I need. In saying that though, if it's a long game I may not be able to dedicate enough time to it. So maybe a shorter game is better.

Argh what a waste of a reply! I don't know, don't listen to me! But let it be known I'm still keen to play something!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #409
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
AFGNCAAP: Sanitarium (host)
Intense Degree: Sanitarium - Broken Sword (host) - TLJ
Stepurhan: Sanitarium
Gazzoid: Broken Sword - TLJ
Harald: TLJ - Sanitarium - Space Bar - Journeyman Project 2/3
Skeeter: Journeyman Project 2/3
Sughly: Sanitarium - Broken Sword - TLJ
Little Writer: TLJ
Kurufinwe: Dreamfall
Pandaara: TLJ
Seagul: Sanitarium
Jelena: Sanitarium

Sanitarium - 7
TLJ - 6
BS - 3
Dreamfall - 1
JP - 1
Space Bar - 1
I have played TLJ and BS a bajillion times and I've played Sanitarium and Dreamfall a few times as well. That said, I'd still play a community playthrough of all of them because playing here would change the whole experience (for the better)! I guess I'd probably pick Sanitarium because it's the one that I haven't played in the longest time. I don't own JP or Space Bar.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #410

Now all we need is a brave, noble, heroic person to lead us to victory.

So shall we assume to just go for TLJ? Everyone's post seems to gravitate towards that path.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #411

Oh geez, I got them mixed up. Sorry about that. I mean there seems to be a bigger interest in TLJ at the moment, but Sanitarium was the one where there was a volunteer host.

I'd volunteer to host, but I only have experience from one playthrough. And I fear I'll be a little short on time the first weeks of school.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #412
Stalker of Britain

I'd rather not host, because I feel I didn't do too good of a job on "Blackstone", but I'd participate with "Sanitarium" or "The Longest Journey". I don't have much of a preferance for either. But is there mysterious stuff to discuss that woud benefit from a group playthrough? Sanitarium would, but I think "The Longest Journey" is pretty cut in stone-no mysteries.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #413
The Quiet One

I'd rather not host either. It's a nice idea, but I don't think I'd do a very good job. Plus, I wouldn't have the time to post lengthy messages and engage in lengthy discussions. That, and I just wouldn't know what to put.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #414

Hmm, if expectancies are that high... Fantasysci, you did a terrific job on Blackstone IMO. But you may be right about TLJ being less prone to trigger discussions, so maybe that game will require some more effort from the host.

I suppose I'd be up for hosting a TLJ playthrough, but I'd rather wait a few weeks before we started so I could refresh my memory on the game.

But I'd really prefer we got started playing as soon as possible, so maybe we should go for Sanitarium or Broken Sword instead?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #415
Senior *female* member

The Zork GI playthrough wouldn't have been the same without AFGNCAAP. I'm sure he will be a terrific host for Sanitarium.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #416
Stalker of Britain

So Sanitarium it is?

I think it would trigger discussions much easier than "The Longest Journey", and also almost everyone's played TLJ a million times.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #417
Pixiehunter

I will definately join if it will be Sanitarium Haven't played that one yet, and I am at the moment not playing anything, so perfect time to start a playthrough
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #418
Failed Birthday Elf

Well Sanitarium lead by AFGNCAAP sounds good to me, and if anyone wants to prepare TLJ to host afterwards I'd be happy to playthrough that too!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #419

I'm game if AFGNCAAP is.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #420
Lazy Bee

So am I!