You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What is the worst Adventure Game of 2006?

View Poll Results: What is the worst Adventure Game of 2006?
Al Emmo 22 21.36%
Broken Sword 4 24 23.30%
Barrow Hill 6 5.83%
CSI 3 4 3.88%
Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave 2 1.94%
Nancy Drew: Danger By Design 2 1.94%
Paradise 23 22.33%
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle 4 3.88%
Other 16 15.53%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #61
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou View Post
I liked Agatha Christie games and I started playing Paradise just now but might not play it after all, since everyone is hating on it so much.
You say you're playing it. Do you like it so far? I would say if you have it already, keep playing and see how it works for you.

Quote:
Dreamfall was cool. Dunno, I've given up hope on AGs in general. It's so rare to find good games like Moment Of Silence or Still Life, instead we get Broken Sword and other meaningless... crap.
Meaningless in what way? Storyline, characters, gameplay?

It's kind of depressing to talk about the 'worst' because while there are always those handful of games that really are poorly designed and/or have poor writing and stories, the old saying goes 'One man's (or woman's ) trash is another man/woman's treasure.' The adventure genre is such a melting pot and you very often find diverse opinions on many games. I love the diversity and know not every game is for me but I also know there are many out there that are.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #62
Vigilant

Oh, I don't touch desert. I just decided to use a ice cream analogy considering everyone likes ice cream. Regardless, I hope my point was succinct.

Maybe I should have used a pasta analogy?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #63
say yes when nobody asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
Oh, I don't touch desert. I just decided to use a ice cream analogy considering everyone likes ice cream. Regardless, I hope my point was succinct. Maybe I should have used a pasta analogy?
I don't touch desert either. It's too... sandy. But otherwise, I think people understood what you meant. The worst ice-cream that I've ever tasted was some horrible "strawberry" thing that tasted more like penicillin. Not to be bought again. Ever.

Really, it may just be pointless to talk about the "worst" game without being really specific. AS mentioned, one man's trash may indeed be another man's treasure. And without having played all the games on the list, it's really difficult to even having an opinion at all.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havrepus View Post
And without having played all the games on the list, it's really difficult to even having an opinion at all.
true, but u can always have your own opinion and decide simply between the games you played
I mean I wouldnt, after only playing for example The Longest Journey and Fate of Atlantis put one on top and the other one on the bottom of AG genre, but when I play a game and dislike it, I can say it is not a good game (right now its BS4)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #65
Vigilant

Haha, good anecdote, Havrepus.

What you said is true and applies to more than just gaming. This is why I try not to impose my judgment on others, whether it be about gaming, movies, or people. However, if we cannot judge something, than it is hard to categorize it and hence learn from it. We have to understand ideas in relation to one another. Most of us here have an internal judgment system based on our schemas and experiences in order to discern what we like and do not like.

I am sure everyone here is familiar with the IGN or Gamespot's way of rating a game and some of us have adopted similar techniques in order to compare games: Graphics, Gameplay, Sound, Presentation, and Replayability/Lasting Appeal. I don't think I know anyone that does not take some of these attributes into account when making judgment on a game.

If we cannot have an opinion at all, well, then we just lost a large part of what makes us human. Oh boy, I do hate philosophy....
Old 01-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #66

Well, maybe that was a bit strong. We will always have an opinion. Maybe we should just not vote on a poll like this, those of us who haven't played all the games. It's hard to compare and make a judgment when you only have some of the facts.

Philosophy can be fun, but can also drive people insane. I imagine the great Socrates himself could make himself very unpopular and piss people off by always picking on their arguments always saying they were wrong and that they basically don't know anything...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #67
Vigilant

Even Socrates knew that he knew nothing. "Only a midwife of knowledge am I....yada, yada..."

I agree with you that one shouldn't really vote if they have not played all of the games. However, I also realize that that is impractical and for some improbable. That is why I lowered the bar and suggested that one should know at least three or four of the games on the list in order to have a minimally educated opinion on the matter. Anything less just screws with the poll.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #68

Agreed. And that was pretty much what I based my vote on.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #69

Surely paradise was a huge disappointment...

I must also say that Angel of Death wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It had a rather hasty finale but it also had some good old-fashioned puzzles.

The Biggest Adventure Games Source In Greece
Old 01-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #70
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

My biggest dissappointment got to be BS4, I loved BS1 and BS2 ,but I don´t like BS3&4, I´ve tried to play them through, but they don´t feel at all like the two first one..
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #71
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I was very torn between Al Emmo and Paradise- undoubtedly, one of those two deserves the crown. Perhaps they both do.

Al Emmo deserves a vote for its terrible writing, derivative plot lines, lack of originality, grimly forced humor, tired old jokes, poor sense of spacial perspective in the interior scenes, horrible 3D cut scenes, and annoying voice acting.

Paradise deserves the vote for its poor game design where dialog options and plot points never make any sense because you did something in a different order; its awful character movement (ice skating, scissoring across the floor, walking through solid objects); its many computer crashing bugs; and its terribly dull, boring apathetic heroine.

I'm stumped; they're both complete turkeys.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:19 AM   #72

BS4

Ugly graphics, lousy interface and a silly plot.

Call me ancient but BS1 & Bs2 kick the new BS games right in the....
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #73

Dreamfall.
Yep...I said it
It was nice interactive movie, but as adventure game it was total failure
Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner View Post
Dreamfall.
Yep...I said it
It was nice interactive movie, but as adventure game it was total failure
I also said it: this "failure" clearly won the poll on the best adventure. So, many of us consider it a brilliant whatever-you-may-call-it.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
I also said it: this "failure" clearly won the poll on the best adventure. So, many of us consider it a brilliant whatever-you-may-call-it.
and? can't I give an opinion of my own? I though that's what this thread is about?

Seriously though, I personaly can't see how anyone can praise Dreamfall gameplay, the puzzles were almost horribly easy or non-existant, the arcade elements were some of the worst I've seen in a very long time. Now..it has great storyline and production values and I enjoyed it a lot, but the gameplay is simply crappy. It's very nice interactive movie, but horrible adventure game. Just because I've enjoyed certain title doesn't mean I will religiously defend it's every element. A year ago I've spend over 100$ to get original Tsukihime (in anticipation of fan translation) and I had a blast with it, but I would never say it was a good adventure game, great visual novel? Yeah! But not good adventure game, it lacked the game part, Dreamfall has the game element included, it's just very weak one
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #76

Quote:
Seriously though, I personaly can't see how anyone can praise Dreamfall gameplay ...
That's what I meant. Now you have given an opinion, well-thought, well based, and open to debate. Before you just said "Dreamfall,as a game, is a failure", and I had to point that "failure" it was not, since it had just won the other poll.

I see your point, and I partially agree: its weak point is gameplay. Still, this would be like saying Eco's Foucault's Pendulum is a crappy novel; indeed, its weak part is the "novel" part. But it still is a great book (in my opinion, that is.)

On the other hand, I must say I'm also disapointed with gameplay in many other AGs, including The Longest Journey. So, I still fail to see Dreamfall as a total failure in this regard.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #77
marsan

I played dreamfall right after I finished Broken Sword 4, so maybe that corrupted my view a little. But I thought the game was quite good. The only part I didn't like was the fighting, and the sneaking, but it wasn't so hard that it really annoyed me. In my eyes TLJ 1 has a completly different style over it, and it is a much calmer paced game. It reminds me of BS1 or (in a bit less degree) BS2 - it's a game I can just sit down and play any day, just for pleasure of it to kill some time.

I probably won't play dreamfall again in a while, but as a one-time-through game(which is more common these games - not many games knows the meaning of the word replay value anymore) I thought it was very good. Compared to BS4 - at least dreamfall had a compelling storyline that felt very real and good. Also, April and Zoë really got a special place in my heart that Anna-Maria don't got. They share the place with Nico and George, and that cool raven in dreamfall man, he was so hillarious! he reminded me of arthur in the journeyman project 2 & 3. I laughed out loud many times from his comments. Not many games leaves me with a feeling of really liking the main characters that much, so that sure is worth kudoz. Only at one time while I was playing dreamfall did I think "Isn't this game done soon?" and that was just when it was so much focus on that dream server or what it was called... I got tired of sneaking around the offices after a while.

Still, if I can make one recommendation for the next game: drop the sneaking and the action combat. Also, I never really liked that other main character you were playing. It felt a bit weird to keep swaping between him and Zoë, so I would recommend them to drop out that too. Except that, great game!

Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
That's what I meant. Now you have given an opinion, well-thought, well based, and open to debate. Before you just said "Dreamfall,as a game, is a failure", and I had to point that "failure" it was not, since it had just won the other poll..
I guess you're right. Altough in my defense I will say that this is a poll thread, there was no DF choice in the poll ,so I just named it
Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #79

Quote:
I guess you're right. Altough in my defense I will say that this is a poll thread, there was no DF choice in the poll ,so I just named it
Well, there's the "Other" option. Which, by the way, did get some votes -- perhaps intended for DF. What would be great is an imdb type of count, with stats on every game. Is that very difficult to implement? I guess it's not trivial at all.

I also think the action and the sneaking is kind of weak in this game. They should either take those out, or make them better. But I loved switching between so different characters.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #80
Dreamfall Soon!

Out of all those games, the only two I haven't played yet are Runaway and Broken Sword 4 so I can't comment on those.

My biggest disappointment by far was Paradise. It's just so awful I didn't even finish it. And out of the many, many games that I have, I rarely don't finish games even if I'm not that into them.