You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What is the worst Adventure Game of 2006?

View Poll Results: What is the worst Adventure Game of 2006?
Al Emmo 22 21.36%
Broken Sword 4 24 23.30%
Barrow Hill 6 5.83%
CSI 3 4 3.88%
Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave 2 1.94%
Nancy Drew: Danger By Design 2 1.94%
Paradise 23 22.33%
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle 4 3.88%
Other 16 15.53%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverheim View Post
I think it is important to remember that this game is intended for children.My daughter got this game for birthday-present. She is 9, and she really loves this game. I also must say, it is very fun to play it together with her, but if I should have played it alone, I think I'd lost the interest quite quickly. The story is a little bit to childish and the characters in the game to simple.
Ok. Maybe I have to take my words back, at least partially. I don't have kids, so I can't really comment on that. When I did the review of the game, I tried to get my friend's daughter to play the game, though. She was more interested in Wii Sports...

It might be that I've just lost the touch with the very young people... which would be a very bad thing because that'd mean I'm now a full grown adult.

Anyhow, the most annoying thing in HCA was really the Finnish voice acting and I have to admit that it has nothing do with game designers 'cause it was made by totally different crew.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #42
Half Human/Half Producer

El emmo is THE most worst game ever.

That gay voice ! those cutscenes are much more ugly than my grandma !
Story is also so stupid, the animations are soo bad.

The only plus is, nice animated backgrounds

Ill vote for el emmo, there should never be a part 2. i will boycot it
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #43
Slim Shady

It's "Al Emmo" not "El Emmo".

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-09-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #44
Vigilant

It's quite peculiar that those who voted for Dreamfall equate the most disappointing game with the worst game. The two catagories are very much different. Given LJ's less-than-spectacular sequel, it isn't suprising that some of you have a bone to pick with the game. However, it seems like those who have chosen Dreamfall as their worst game of '06 want to strike back for its inequities and dub it terrible among all others.

It, which cannot be said for Al Emmo and BS4, at least corrected most of its bugs before the release date. Whatever is left of the story and gameplay of Dreamfall is tragedy in comparison to its predicessor and not because it is a bad standalone game. Remember: the Longest Journey was released in '99 and not in '06. Needless to say (or maybe it is because there are some who love to pounce the jugular when the opportunity arises), this is only a humble opinion and I would love to hear what you all have to say on the matter. Perhaps someone can refute me as to why games such as BS4 or Emmo somehow manage to escape your vote over Dreamfall and I will tip my hat to you.

The same arguement could be used to defend BS4. but honestly that game has trouble standing alone and needs the support of the last three in order to even be accepted as part of the series.

Last edited by TangentBlack; 01-09-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Cor.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #45
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I voted for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #46
Slim Shady

I don't think that's an adventure.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I don't think that's an adventure.
oh you dont? now who would have thought that you dont consider GRAW an AG
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #48

TangentBlack,

For myself, I have not played BS4, or Al Emmo yet, so I cannot make that comparison. I can also tell you that my vote for Dreamfall is not based on dissapointment or comparison with the original title. I simply do not like non-puzzle story based adventure games, such as Fahrenheit or Dreamfall. Adventure games should have puzzles, otherwise I'd rather watch TV or read a book.
Recently Played (rating): Jack Keane (C-), Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy (A-), Sam and Max 2x05 (A+), Sam and Max 2x04 (A), Secret Files Tuguska (C+), Sam and Max 2x03 (A), Sam and Max 2x02 (A), Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny (B), Sam and Max 2x01 (A), Nancy Drew: Icicle Creek (B-), Nancy Drew: Blackmoor Manor (B+), Destination Treasure Island (A), Ankh: Heart of Osiris (A)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #49
Vigilant

I figured as much. I don't think that you would have drawn the same conclusions if you had played those two, or rather if you had played any game from the list. Anyhow, I do sympathize with your plaint that Dreamfall was slightly light in the loafers in the way of puzzles. I myself was somewhat suprised to see the "evolution" of the series change its style almost to a new genre.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #50

I can't stand Runaway, and I equally cannot stand the sequel. Brian has got to be the worst protaganist ever.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I don't think that you would have drawn the same conclusions if you had played those two, or rather if you had played any game from the list.
I suspect very few people have played every game on this list - that's always a problem when determining best/worst every year... But I will note that I've played every other game on that list except for Paradise. Now that I see the votes - I seem to have made the right decision on what not to play! But that's not really true since I will very likely buy/play all 3 of them this year - I'm just a bit behind the curve.
Recently Played (rating): Jack Keane (C-), Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy (A-), Sam and Max 2x05 (A+), Sam and Max 2x04 (A), Secret Files Tuguska (C+), Sam and Max 2x03 (A), Sam and Max 2x02 (A), Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny (B), Sam and Max 2x01 (A), Nancy Drew: Icicle Creek (B-), Nancy Drew: Blackmoor Manor (B+), Destination Treasure Island (A), Ankh: Heart of Osiris (A)
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #52

I've played all of those listed except for CSI3 and Al Emmo. I vote Paradise as the worst. What a PITA that game was to finish. Stupid hotspots in the wrong place, couldn't find screen exits, main character about as interesting as 3-day-old oatmeal sitting in the sink...

I'll admit that CSI3 and Al Emmo might possibly be worse, since I haven't played them. But I haven't heard about any interface problems with them.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #53

HI

I have voted for AL Emmo --- simply because I didn't like the crummy, crude
ol' time western humor....since it was done in a very pubescent, imo, way.
By pubescent I mean that the devs. apparently tried to make a game with the humor from the old Lucas Arts games. But, IIRC, none of these games, have
the sexual inuendo and the crummy [censored] jokes relating to [censored]
content.

In short, I don't get the game's dialoque.... That could, of course, just be me.
However, the game was also very laggy and buggy on my mid-to high end pc machine. Sometimes the little guy, al emmo, wouldn't move at all, and the transitions between screens weren't that smoothe.

The game's dialoque also annoyed me. The devs. obviously tried to emulate or simulate how they thought people spoke in the 1880's in the western USA.
It was probably supposed to be funny; however I didn't find it very funny....
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #54
Ronin

I've only played two 2006 games. I liked one (Safecracker) and disliked the other (Keepsake). But I didn't dislike it enough to declare it the worst game of the year. I'm sure there are many 2006 games worse than it.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #55
Vigilant

I suppose the only reason why I brought up the whole matter was because I was wholesomely confused with people's interpretation of the worst game of '06 criteria. I am not just basing my thoughts on this thread but others that I have read previously. I can understand that people wouldn't play all of these games on the list (not just including financial and time constraints). However, if indeed one has not played at least enough to make a three to four game comparision, then I find it hard pressed to make a decision soley on one or two '06 games. It's like me deciding that out of the two ice creams I tried this year, vanilla and chocolate, I liked vanilla so chocolate must be the worst. Well what about strawberry, mint, superman, and orange sherbet? Not very concise or accurate decision now is it?

Perhaps one should refrain from voting if one isn't informed enough to do so?

Heh, or perhaps I am caring too much....
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #56

Quote:
It's like me deciding that out of the two ice creams I tried this year, vanilla and chocolate, I liked vanilla so chocolate must be the worst. Well what about strawberry, mint, superman, and orange sherbet?
Superman ice cream??
Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #57

Quote:
Heh, or perhaps I am caring too much....
It’s easy to be glib … but to care is noble.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #58
Banned User

90% of the adventure games released last year were-- crap. All 3 of them lol jk.
I liked Agatha Christie games and I started playing Paradise just now but might not play it after all, since everyone is hating on it so much. Dreamfall was cool. Dunno, I've given up hope on AGs in general. It's so rare to find good games like Moment Of Silence or Still Life, instead we get Broken Sword and other meaningless... crap.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #59
Ronin

Even though I've never tasted it, Superman ice cream is absolutely THE WORST ice cream ever.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
Even though I've never tasted it, Superman ice cream is absolutely THE WORST ice cream ever.
Probably really bad for your teeth too.