You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I just played Runaway 2 here are some thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #1

Default I just played Runaway 2 here are some thoughts

First of all 100/100 the best adventure game ever.

Now i have the german release so i didnt understand what they said at all.
But like every quest point and click you can play without understand the story.
Im sure ill buy the game when it will be out in english i just couldnt wait and i had to test and see it.

So the first thing is the graphics : very different from the first runaway.
In my opinion this graphics is much better.
Not only the lights and animation. but its smooth .
And almost each thing you do is animation. Just amazing.

The animation : The game is like cartoon but its not. it looks like 2D but its in 3D thats what so amazing . the game have a lot of small short animation scenes between actions you do. Also some longer animations movies .
Most important there is some background animation. in most of places each screen you are in the screen is still . but for example your character if you dont move him he is doing some movements himself.

Sound & Voice : The sound in the game is great. also there is some background sound what make the game more alive. The voices are just perfect even if its german the voices are great and clear.

GamePlay : very easy mouse point and click. some places the screens are scrolling and some places its loading but very short you dont even feel when its loading. the game movements are smooth. and even with the smooth graphics and sound the game running very smooth.

Puzzles : Well i played the first chapter so far. and there are no puzzles. i mean the game is hard in some parts you stuck. but its not like in other games that you suddenly have a puzzle thats have nothing to do with the story that you need to solve to open a door or something.
You need to think a lot what to do next and how with the objects you collect but you dont have puzzles to solves . i hate those puzzles that dosent have anything to do with the game story. And yet the game isnt easy .

Well last words :

Great game overall. the is in chapters. i dont wanna spoiler so i wont say a lot. ill just say the game is very very pretty. for my opinion not only the game of the year but one if not the best adventures ever.

I give the game 100/1000. Perfect score.

I hope to see the english version soon. cuz you can play it in german after all you just need to collect objects and try everything. but its not fun.

I just wanted to get a taste of the game animation and movies scenes.
And trust me ppl if i could play the german version more then 3-4 hours nonstop and pass the first chapter then yes this game is the best ever !

Ill try to upload screenshots sometime.

And again i hope the english version will come out a.s.a.p

Thnx you all .
Old 11-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #2

Default I had to add here some tech details :

Like the game size is 6.3GB after installation.
The game support securom 7 protection.
The installation is smooth and fast.

In the french site of the gam the official site i entered to the forum there to the technical area. and i saw that there lot of bugs and problems with the game in chapters 3 and 5 and other things. from what i understood cuz i dont read french many ppl have problems. and some ppl are waiting for a patch.

I hope and almost sure that untill the english version will come out they will fix all problems if there are any cuz maybe its only with the french version.

So far the german release version worked for me perfect.

And again great game ! just perfect.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Vigilant

A 100 out of 100 sounds a little ominous.

In any case, I am glad you liked it but I really think that to play an adventure game, one should know what the characters are saying first before one goes and rates it. I am suprised you were able to play through the game without understanding the dialouge. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

I suppose it is a good sign that everything else was appealing from your perspective, although since it was german, the voice acting will change in English versions which can contribute greatly to making or breaking a game.

I am looking forward to this game very much and it would please me to hear some more positive reviews from some gamers here.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Saying an adventure game you "couldn't understand" rated a 100/100 is ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #5

I don´t remember many adventure games that take up so many GB. Not many shooters I know of either. Does this mean that the game has many levels and is very long. I hope there will be a demo soon. Even if a german or some other language comes first I would try it because I am excited about this game. That protection you mention is that some kind of copy protection?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolade View Post
Puzzles : Well i played the first chapter so far. and there are no puzzles.
Whoa, sounds like a killer game!

Quote:
I give the game 100/1000.
Only 10%? Ouch.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #7

Default Some things to correct :

First score is 100/100 !

Second yes the game is 6.3GB and it means a lot.
Not only the smooth graphics.
But more then hours long of amazing video clip scenes.

And most important more then 100 places to visit !!!!!!!
And think about the voices all over those places and text thats why the game so big.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #8

Default Just to make clear about my score and how did i play the german version:

Well i dont wanna spoil.

But i will say that all the first chapter in the game is you alone.
Meaning you dont have to talk to anyone to make a progress.
All you have to do is taking objects connect them change them and use them.
So i didnt understand what my char said to himself each time he tried something.
But each object have a painting you see the object in your inventory so you just try anything.
Its not so hard. but the first chapter i must say not easy in general you need to think and you need to try a lot . i was stuck there for few hours.

The next chapter i will not spoil but the next chapter is a lot fo talking also with other ppl and since i dont understand a thing and since in this chapter i saw you have to choose an answer from 4-5-7 options whne you talk to someone or trying to take something i stopped playing.

All i can say the game is just amazing graphicls and voice and animation.

And yes i can give the game 100/100 .
Ppl im one of those ganboys of adventure games im one of those that finished all sierra games and i mean all and all lucas and all the adventure games there are and there were.

So i know if to give a game a 100/100 its not beacuse my hype.
I know what an adventure game is . Trust me ppl when i say 100/100 it is 100/100.

here is another guy who played the german version he is also understand german i think : " Hm I just installed and mounted, yasu thingy and just works here.
Really good Point'nKlick...maybe the best this year or EVER!
Ur in this animated film/game world, the music is right, the characters are right, the puzzles are so far not to hard, but this game is sooooo slick! "

For my opinion the best game ever. and you dont need to finish a game to ger impress . trust me ppl when i saw the opening movie and then when the first screen shot apear the first screen where you can start move and play i was amazed the graphics.

Trust me this time ppl. one if not the best adventure games ever. and if you ask me the game of the year so far in general.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-27-2006 at 05:24 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #9
Irritant F0rum Beasty

"I've only played the first chapter and didn't understand what any of the characters were saying but trust me THIS IS DIFINITELY THE BEST GAME EVER!!!"

You know something, I don't trust your judgement, sue me.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
Dungeon Master

I rate this thread 100/100.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
Kung Fu Code Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
I rate this thread 100/100.
did you take typos and grammatical errors into consideration? what about poor punctuation?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:16 AM   #12

and people put up a fuss when some of us demanded good (slightly overzealous) scores for Ankh lol.

It's almost convinced me to get this game when it comes out in the UK though.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:18 AM   #13

well i rate it 100/1000
im looking forward to this game, but playing adventure game w/o understanding it and rating it after 1st chapter...wow, thats something
Old 11-27-2006, 02:21 AM   #14

This is the most bizarre review ever. I can't wait to play this game but how can anybody review a game without understanding the story or what's going on????
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
did you take typos and grammatical errors into consideration? what about poor punctuation?
Oh, I wouldn't notice them. You see, I don't understand English. But the thread does look pretty enough to warrant a 100/100.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:30 AM   #16
Kung Fu Code Poet

well for graphics alone it should lose points... i mean there's the gratuitous use of the head against brick wall smiley and these avatars are stolen from various adventure games.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
well for graphics alone it should lose points... i mean there's the gratuitous use of the head against brick wall smiley and these avatars are stolen from various adventure games.
but...those smileys are funny and i like the avatars...remind me of the adventures
so i guess i should revaluate this thread 100/100 it is
Old 11-27-2006, 04:05 AM   #18

Default As i said before this are my thoughts about the game not a review :

Its my own opinion.
Ppl can like it and not.

Im not trying to convince you ppl.
But ppl telling me that beacuse i dont understand the kanguage i cant play.
And beacuse i played one chapter only i cant review it.

A game should give you a prespective on the begining not in the end.
A good game show his ability in the begining.
If ill need to play all the game or 6 chapters to give an opinion then the game is bad.

Second many sites not many but few gave this game very high score very close to 10/10.

I went to the french website forum of the game. Most of ppl talk there like i did. some ppl didnt like something i wont spoil but its not something technical. i mean everyone there was supprise from the graphics animation smooth gameplay and everything.

So you dont have to belive all i write. just get movies and video clips and watch yourself. the video clips are almost as the same as the graphics in the gameplay.

But its not time for argue. when you will play it you will tell us what do you think about it ppl.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #19
Dungeon Master

chocolade, I've noticed that the link you gave earlier led to a warez site (I guess that explains why the game took 6 GB on your computer). Please don't post such links on AG in the future.

Anyway,
Quote:
Im not trying to convince you ppl.
Funny; I thought the part about how experienced adventure gamer you are, having played all Sierra and LucasArts games (although I guess this may mean you only played their beginnings), sounded a lot like trying to convince us. (Or how about this quote: "Trust me ppl when i say 100/100 it is 100/100."?)

Quote:
But ppl telling me that beacuse i dont understand the kanguage i cant play.
And beacuse i played one chapter only i cant review it.
Of course you can. But your review will have little to no credibility.

Quote:
A game should give you a prespective on the begining not in the end.
A good game show his ability in the begining.
If ill need to play all the game or 6 chapters to give an opinion then the game is bad.
What a strange statement. Plenty of games I played grown on me with time; plenty of others started good but I ended up disliking them.

Besides, haven't you yourself said that people encountered lots of bugs and problems in Chapter 3 and 5? Doesn't it contradict your ability to herald the game as best ever just after the first chapter?

Quote:
I went to the french website forum of the game. Most of ppl talk there like i did. some ppl didnt like something i wont spoil but its not something technical. i mean everyone there was supprise from the graphics animation smooth gameplay and everything.
Oh, I don't doubt graphics and animations are great (by the way, I question you assessment that the visuals are "very different" than in the first game - they may be more detailed, but the style seems very similar, and the first game had 3D characters on 2D backgrounds as well). But, as you noted, we can see that in the screenshots and videos; no need to pirate the game to find out. About the only other thing not language-dependent is music and sound (but not voice acting). From my experience, though, Adventure Gamers care at least as much about story, characters, writing, puzzles, and surely you'd agree that not knowing what is being said seriously undermines your ability to rate those aspects (even if you had played through the whole game)?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #20

Default About the warez thing and the my review :

Sorry for the link.
And about the game is 6GB thats not beacuse warez.
The game original is 6GB after installation thats for real .
Im sure and ppl told that there is no much different between the english voices and french voices and how much space on h.d it will take.
There is a lot of stuff to translate from french/german to english.
6GB is not that big according the lot of videos in the game and the voices and subtitles. That also can tell us that beyond gameplay graphics voice and animation the story is also very hard ( detailed ) here.

About the game itself what i said :

Well sure you could see screenshots instead of playing it. I saw screenshots of the game DreamFall the longest journey 2 i thought it will be a classic point and click game like the first one and it wasnt at all.

Thats why i wanted to try this game.

And i think you dont need to understand a word to play an adventure game not that the story isnt important. but for me the most important things are the graphics animation voice gameplay and to see its point and click and not another dreamfall ( nightmarefall ). And sure the story is most important and from the cutscenes between chapters and while playing i can tell you now for sure even if its in german that there is a lot of video and lot of story in the game and thats one reason why the game is 6GB. The story here is taking a main stage.

Second the graphics of the game itself not in video but in playing gameplay is amazing its like you play in real animated movie but point and click and not action more like in runaway 1 or dreamfall.
Runaway 1 was great one of the best. But runaway 2 is much much better.

I dont want to argue. for me the story is most important too. thats why i stoppe playing it and ordered the english version .
I just wanted to see before i buy it if its another dreamfall or if its a classic point and click and its classic point and click and that enough for me.

About bugs that was the frensh version. and also not for everyone. i played the german version and also not enough to see if its having bugs.

I just hope the english version will be released good free bugs.
But even if it will have some bugs ill wait for patch i dont mind.
The game is too good to not play it beacuse bugs.

Thats it. im not saying everyone will love the game. but my own opinion this is the game of the year . And i translated in google the french webiste forum of the game and i saw many ppl disapointed from some things in the game. but many other were amazed from graphics and animation and gameplay.

Every game you will see ppl complain.
But for me and i love quests and i know to see the different between adventure and adventure. i could give paradise 100 too but i didnt.

Its not that im just coming here and tell ppl the game is 100/100 go buy it.
Im in this forum for some years and its the first time im giving a game a score.

And im sure you also didnt see many games 6GB that are classic point and click i think that for itself tell a lot.
6GB means they did a big job and long game and not another dreamfall or paradise and paradise was great game but not even close to runaway 2.

Second about puzzles depends what you call puzzle : A challenge that dosent have anything to do the story of the game that when you solve it a door is opened ? or taking lot of objects and connect and change them then use them to get progress with a good relvent of the game story ?

I think that puzzles like in paradise and other adventure are destroying the fun of the game.
I prefer 6GB of good graphics animation and story with a lot of text to read and videos and places to stuck to find how to progress then solve a puzzles like in paradise . I hate it when you play paradise so long getting into the story of the game and then you have to solve a stupid puzzle without any connection to the game story just to open something.

Like in Myst. well myst is a different style of games. but the puzzles there arent fit for classic point and click adventures.

Thats what i call a puzzle. for me a good puzzle is to be stuck in chapter 1 in runaway 2 in the jungle for few hours trying to find how to pass through with the objects you got in your inventroy while you keep read the story of the game.

Thats my opinion.

And this game is the best. you will wait for the english version and me too.
The videos and screenshots are real and not like in dreamfall this time its real amazing graphics very smooth and classic point and click. great video scenes and great long story.

6GB i think it says all.