You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which series is better? - Gabriel vs Guybrush

View Poll Results: Gabriel vs Guybrush
Gabriel Knight series 47 39.17%
Monkey Island series 73 60.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #101
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
I have Gabriel Knight 1, but never tried it because of the hassle getting it to work with XP.
!!!

Can I have it?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #102

Can't really understand what would "better" mean... Monkey Island is definitely "better" in the funny department, but definitely falls flat on conspiratory thinking. Then again, Gabriel 3 is quite a bit "better" as far as 3d graphics are concerned, even though Monkey Island does excel in the silly names department.

Sorry, but this is a rather pointless question.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gnome View Post
Can't really understand what would "better" mean... Monkey Island is definitely "better" in the funny department, but definitely falls flat on conspiratory thinking. Then again, Gabriel 3 is quite a bit "better" as far as 3d graphics are concerned, even though Monkey Island does excel in the silly names department.

Sorry, but this is a rather pointless question.
I just don't understand. How in the world is this a pointless question? What's so hard to comprehend? Which one do you like best? Monkey or Gabriel? They're two games, same genre. It's not much more different that asking which you prefer of Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell.

Also, Escape from Monkey Island has better graphics than Gabriel 3 - imo. Though I don't even like EMI much.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #104
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I found Gabriel Knight boring, but Monkey Island is endlessly inventive. No contest.
QFT
MI was an amusing bit of fluff that anyone could enjoy. To me GK was like a bad serial novel come to life.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #105

Dear CrimsonBlue, what's hard to comprehend is that what you like best isn't neccessarily better. Simple as that. You might prefer listening to Nirvana than Bach, but you would be hard pressed to prove Nirvan is better... Clear?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #106
Prince of Daventry

This is a silly question. We're not comparing apples and apples here. Though I am a fan of both series, they are in entirely different subgenres, as evidenced by the comments made by most people who like one, and then say that they dislike the other for the very reason that the fans of it enjoy it (i.e. MI is too silly, GK is too dark, etc.) That said, though I am a huge fan of both series, I am going to have to give my own personal edge to GK, as its genre is highly influential on my own novel writing.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gnome View Post
Dear CrimsonBlue, what's hard to comprehend is that what you like best isn't neccessarily better. Simple as that. You might prefer listening to Nirvana than Bach, but you would be hard pressed to prove Nirvan is better... Clear?
I'm not getting into the "some music is factually better than other music" debate here (it's basically impossible to find an answer to that question). But when people say "that game is better", they actually mean "I like that game better". Trying to read between the lines and not take everything so literally is a good idea sometimes. At least, that's how I understood it.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #108

A wise point Schattenjaeger. Couldn't agree more...
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #109
Banned User

Default Actually it is simple

Actually it is pretty simple. I liked MI better. There, it’s that simple, and almost painless.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
I have Gabriel Knight 1, but never tried it because of the hassle getting it to work with XP.
http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/