You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gametap is like, uh, cool.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
never stops believin'

Default Gametap is like, uh, cool.

Signed up for Gametap's 2 week free trial. Man, what an incredibly cool service.

They have the classic Infocoms (which were recently pulled as Abandonware) I love, including the two Planetfalls (btw, what's up with space janitors being the career choice for space heroes?) the first three Zorks, Starcross, Suspended...

...and they also have the first three Quest for Glory's, SQ 1,2,3 & 4, KQ 1-4 as well...which leads me to a question:

What classic Sierra game of the ones Gametap has would you be most excited to play? I'm psyched I can finally play Quest for Glory 1, since I've heard so much about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Staff Member

I'll get it when they have SNM and uru, and when they roll out in the UK. I couldn't care less about buggy old sierra games.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
I'll get it when they have SNM and uru, and when they roll out in the UK. I couldn't care less about buggy old sierra games.
Uru is already on there...and I've tried all the old Sierra games, they seem to be maximized for Windows, no problems, you just click and play.

The only real criticism I can make of Gametap is that for more recent games, it can take a long time to download, which must be a pain if you're playing it over and over. Games like KQ take about two seconds.

I hope they get more classic adventure games...I am going to stay on past the trial period in the hopes they do. I have been trying to track down the old Infocoms for a while now (I own both Classic Games editions, but they're on floppies for Mac, while I've switched to PC)
Old 05-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Games are cached locally, so you only have to download them once unless you run out of room or delete them manually.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Bad command or file name

Common', I think getting to see Rand Miller on Space Ghost is reason enough to join.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
Dr Uberman

So you can download as many games as you like in 2 weeks and they are stored on your computer?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
So you can download as many games as you like in 2 weeks and they are stored on your computer?
No, you can play them only for those two weeks:
Quote:
The games themselves are not installed on your machine. You play through GameTap's interface, using an emulator that runs not only Windows games, but games originally designed for DOS and many consoles seamlessly on your modern PC.
More here.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #8
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Nice. Suspect and Witness were my favorite Infocom games I've played (both being murder mysterys and detective games). Didn't much care for the Zork games. Pretty much seemed like the text equilants of the early Kings Quest games.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123
Pretty much seemed like the text equilants of the early Kings Quest games.
Except the stories are nothing like King's Quest, and Zork came first.

Is Suspect or Witness the one where you (or someone?) hides inside a clock? I think I played a bit of it with my cousin but we used the hint book the whole time...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Of course, I'm just saying it felt like random walking around fiddling with things adventuring, instead of more story line / character based gaming. I found them boring for the same reason that I found the KQ games boring.

The one with the clock is Witness. It is ridiculously tough. Suspect was easily my favorite though, and a bit more forgiving. That one involves a murder happening at a costume halloween party that you're at. Its pretty fun just walking around the party before the murder, talking to random costumed people that you often don't know who it is behind the costume.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
Yep. Of course, once your subscription ends you won't be able to play them anymore

They're stored in encrypted form on the disk, and are decrypted on demand by the Gametap client.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports
Uru is already on there...
That´s right, but it´s only the single player version of Uru. At the end of this year they will start UruLive, the online version (take a look here http://www.urulive.com/blog/)

Kai-Uwe