You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 3 May 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wed 3 May 2006

I think it's time for my debut so here's a little favorite of mine
I love that art style!

*edit*
Oh, and "that doesn't work!"
This game will soon be supported by scummvm and if I'm not completely uninformed it'll be freeware as well.

Last edited by MdaG; 05-03-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

that's an awesome pic!! is it from simon the sorcerer? has someone caut and pasted all the characters into the photo type thingy? or is it part of the game? its pretty nuts!! whats the actual game and how do i get it cause thats my favourite type of artwork for adventuring.. im not fully into the extreme 3D art stuff! i think cartoony stuff like that is always fun to play with! Its "More than meets the eye!"
Old 05-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

OMG! DISCWORLD! I remember that bloody "that doesn't work" thing being annoying as hell, as well as those weird guys saying "DRAGAGA, DRAGAGA" (referring to some kind of dragon thing) and annoying the hell out of me as well. but overall was a pretty decent game, sucky graphics, but good pratchett humor and that cute luggage walking around..
Old 05-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #4
argh GLASTERMOT

Yeah - that really was a great game - and really really difficult... I remember the feeling of wandering around 10+ scenes with something like 30+ thingies in my inventory having no idea what to do - but the sense of discovery when something new happened was just so fantastic.....
And great news about scummvm and freeware - hurrah... think I got it to run on xp some years ago - but you had to put it in a special directory and it would only support one savegame-slot - so good news - I might play it again sometime soon....
Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
that's an awesome pic!! is it from simon the sorcerer?
It's Discworld 1. I can't recall where I got the picture from, but it's been on my harddrive for a while and I thought I should seize the moment and share it by claiming the pic of the day

Last edited by MdaG; 05-03-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Looks like the type of thing that would happen at the end, although at first glimps I thought it was the ending of Simon 2
Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
GoT

I wouldnt mind playing discworld if the in game graphics are like that, it looks cool. but ive only ever read one of the novels so would i not get most of the jokes? would they be uselessly lost on me?

if i bought it do i need to install heaps of stuff on my PC to make it work properly?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
woof

Well according to MG its going to be freeware soon and all youll need to get it to run is ScummVM

And I havent played the first Discworld so im not sure but The second one was pretty much just bits of a bunch of Discworld books threaded together into one. So you dont really need to read the books to get the jokes in discworld since you would have already heard most of them if you did

The first one might be completely different but Id still imagine that the jokes would require knowledge of the books to get them
Old 05-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #9
GoT

So is it worth me playing or not? and can u explain "MG" because im not sure what u mean, i'm not familiar with it? do they buy out old games and release them as freeware when they get to a certain age? is there an awesome storage of freeware files somewhere that i can get my adventure gaming hands on? oh, including ScummVM if its an important thing to have.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #10

Having never read any of the books, I still more or less managed to enjoy the game. Still, it doesn't always to a great job of explaining how some of the things work in the Discworld, making some of the (already awfully difficult) puzzles even harder.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Karmillo used MG as a shorthand for MdaG because he mentioned in his first post it would be freeware soon.

Check here.

ScummVM
Old 05-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #12

I wouldn't get too excited about DW working on ScummVM. The original developers seem to be unwilling to give up the source code which has pretty much killed any chance of getting the port completed. It's too bad because getting DW2 to run on anything other than Win98 is extremely painful.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
GoT

errghh.. dosn't sound very promising......

would someone care to just in a few brief words give me the soldiers 5 on the whole "freeware" scenario? I'm not familiar with it at all.. i understand what it means and have seen some before but how does a game appear on the freeware list? who allows it to happen and what do the orginal developers get out of it? i'd thought they wouldn't let it happen if they didnt get anything out of it and if they ARE getting something out of it then why not assist the port?

sorry to be so ignorant.. i could research this i guess but im currently pretty busy researching my annoying uni assignment...

GoT
Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #14
woof

A game becomes Freeware when either the Developer or Publisher release the game for free. Revolution has done this with a couple of their games including Beneath a Steel Sky

But dont get it mixed up with Abandonware, thats when a game just dissapears and is never seen in the shops....its a murky area

As for what do they get out of it...well nothing really, but they arnt exactly making any money off it so something they feel like there no harm in just giving it out. Well I suppose it lets people know what to expect from the developers and can attract new fans to their later games
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
GoT

thanks, you've answered my questions nicely, except the one about why they wont allow the port when its the whole idea anyway?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #16
woof

apparently they are allowing it
Quote:
Status

The rights situation has been resolved, and Terry Pratchett and his agent Colin Smythe have approved the source release and future freeware re-issuing of the game.
We are currently awaiting receipt of the engine source code.
Its just they cant get the source code
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
argh GLASTERMOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
So is it worth me playing or not? and can u explain "MG" because im not sure what u mean, i'm not familiar with it? do they buy out old games and release them as freeware when they get to a certain age? is there an awesome storage of freeware files somewhere that i can get my adventure gaming hands on? oh, including ScummVM if its an important thing to have.
It's definitely worth playing - the characters, the dialogues, the humour, the mood, the art-direction. All great, I can heartily recommend it. It was actually my introduction to Discworld in the first place, I only picked up the books after I played the game - so you shouldn't feel out if you haven't read any discworld. The puzzles can be fiendishly difficult at sometimes - so I recommend having uhs-hints at hand - http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/discwrld.php. I could check if it is possible to get it to run on XP if you like?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #18
Master of time and space

This game is definately worth getting in my opinion. Make sure you get the CD version if you do. Eric Idle does the voice of Rincewind and I think he's great! I haven't read any of the Discworld novels, but I still enjoyed the jokes.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
argh GLASTERMOT

I just tested - and it works perfectly with dosbox (in xp)

get dosbox here http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

Ahh - I think I'm gonna replay this - I don't think I've played it since it was released - and my english wasn't that good at the time - so I missed a lot of the jokes. It really is great, and yes Eric Idle rules this voice-part. I don't think there is a non-cd version? But the game might be hard to find..

But if you find it, it really is worth it - it has a very nice box and a well-made manual as well....

EDIT: Just checked ebay, and it isn't that difficult to get by - and the price isn't racy. Oh, and it seems there was a non-cd version, on ebay I saw a 15 floppy version... I never knew that...

Last edited by hermes; 05-04-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #20
GoT

so cool, thanks for the awesome help!!! I'll have a look for discworld in the old school sale bins today when im checking for Myst... thanks so much for the help!