You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure King's Quest books!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Fulci lives

Default King's Quest books!

Did you know there are books based on the King's Quest games, it's true!

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Three books have been published by Boulevard Books.

The Floating Castle (1995): Written by Craig Mills, placed between KQ V and VI, it follows Alexander on a quest to discover what is behind the mysterious Floating Castle and the monstrous invasions over the kingdom.
The Kingdom of Sorrow (1996): Written by Kenyon Morr, placed between II and III, it follows the adventures of Graham, who moves to rescue an imprisoned Fairy Queen held by the giant Dunstan in order to return balance in nature.
See No Weevil (1996): Also written by Kenyon Morr and taking place 7 years after the previous book, it focuses on Rosella, who at 15 must run the Kingdom of Daventry during an absence of her parents.
The books haven't received high reviews, but King's Quest fans grant them a small cult following.

There is also the King's Quest Companion that explores further the history of Daventry and the characters.

That´s cool, i´d love read those books! I wonder if they´re still in print?

Take a look at this site for more pictures and info.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #2

I knew that there were KQ books back when they went out. For some reason I didn't buy them (didn't want to be dragged into collecting non-game stuff), now I wish I did...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Bad command or file name

I knew they were out there but have never been able to get my hands one. There are also books for Tex Murphy that I can't find. I was able to get a copy of Alen Dean Foster's novel based on the 'The Dig' but it was so bad I couldn't finish it.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #4

Any ideas on the KQ novels' quality? I'm afraid they don't sound like Hugo winning stuff, but I know I should do better than judge a book (or several) from their cover.

Any book-reviews perhaps?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
There are also books for Tex Murphy that I can't find.
Really! Can you provide links?

Quote:
I was able to get a copy of Alen Dean Foster's novel based on the 'The Dig' but it was so bad I couldn't finish it.
Ah, I have access to that since my friend bought it and probably have access to it. Hardcover too.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I've got the King's Quest Companion in my room. It has walkthroughs that were written in story form. Very interesting.

There were some Space Quest comic books a long time ago, too.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I've got the King's Quest Companion in my room. It has walkthroughs that were written in story form. Very interesting.
But no expansions to the stories? Only the stories told in the games?

Quote:
Ah yes, 3 issues. You can download the PDFs from spacequest.net.

And while we're on this subject, I'd like to add that there was a TV show based on Maniac Mansion. I watched some episodes back when it aired.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
I was able to get a copy of Alen Dean Foster's novel based on the 'The Dig' but it was so bad I couldn't finish it.
That Alan Dean Foster is familiar with book adaptations, he´s written books based on movies, like Alien and The Thing.

Quote:
Any ideas on the KQ novels' quality? I'm afraid they don't sound like Hugo winning stuff, but I know I should do better than judge a book (or several) from their cover.

Any book-reviews perhaps?
Amazon.com has reviews of the books.

Quote:
You got a free comicbook when you bought Space Quest 2, if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Walkthroughs in story form! That´s such a cool, clever idea, i´d love to read them.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

I own the KQ companion 3th as well as the 4th edition. The fourth edition covers KQ1-7 and is quite comprehensive... Both are valued items in my collection.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gnome
I own The Kingdom of Sorrow and The Floating Castle myself. On the upside, both are entertaining books with fun characters. On the downside, the plots of both are a bit contrived in places, and they don't really add anything in-depth to the game characters, or anything that we didn't know before.

My net recommendation would be that if you like King's Quest, and you can find the books second-hand for not too much (which they shouldn't be), buy them.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #11

Speaking of walkthroughs told in story form, I've got a LSL book with the first 6 games written in that format. An entertaining read, for sure.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #12

Heh, I just went and dug up my copy of the King's Quest Companion (4th edition).

That Larry companion is probably a real trip. Never knew one existed.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #13

Thanks a lot Liz and Hamham.
Guess I won't be reading them, for finding such books second-hand in Greece would be quite a feat...

Cheers
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I have read ALL three books and they are all charming. I would recommend them immediately to anyone who loves the King's Quest games. They're really fun. The third book is hard to find and quite expensive. It's called "See No Weevil"
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
But no expansions to the stories? Only the stories told in the games?

Ah yes, 3 issues. You can download the PDFs from spacequest.net.

And while we're on this subject, I'd like to add that there was a TV show based on Maniac Mansion. I watched some episodes back when it aired.
Really? was it really maniac mansion or just a cartoon that was based off the same idea?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I stumbled upon a copy of The Floating Castle a few months ago at a certain infamous used bookstore in my city. It was quite enjoyable... but my reading experience was always "enriched" by music from KQ6. It couldn't be helped!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Explorer

I have the hardcover The Dig book as well. I found it cheap one day, almost as-new, in a used book store.

I've thought about picking up the King's Quest novels - they're long out of print - but never really felt like it, since they're not really "official" Sierra in any way. I suppose I'll pick them up one day eventually.

I have all four editions of the KQ companions - though I need to replace my fourth edition with one in better condition - but I've never really taken to Peter Spear's whole vision of the King's Quest world.

I have near-mint copies of the Space Quest comics (3 issue adaptation of the first Space Quest game, published by Adventure Comics (an imprint of Malibu)) for sale.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
SamNMax

All of the above mentioned books, you can find on Amazon.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Really? was it really maniac mansion or just a cartoon that was based off the same idea?
Well, it wasn't a cartoon at all. It was a weird show about the Edison family, which was very loosely based on the game (same title, same names, that's about it I think). You can find info about it on-line.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
SamNMax

Oh, that show was bad.